FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first time poster here.

I've saved up for a new rifle for a couple of years. I was planning to buy a Les Baer AR .223 M4 flattop yet after handling both the FS2000 and the PS90 I honestly prefer the FN designs. There's just too much innovation in these guns for me to ignore.

I'm writing this to ask you for your unbiased advice on the FS2000 versus PS90's:

1.) Field reliability (are there design issues, jams, etc.)

2.) Weapon accuracy with standard ammo (50, 100, 150 yards)

3.) Cost of ownership (ammo, parts, etc.)

I really appreciate your guidance as there's a lot of bad press out there about these weapons and I thought I'd cut through the BS and go to the pros who know.

Thank you,
K11

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have only put a couple of hundred rounds through my PS90. So far no problems. The oem site kind of stinks but is not as bad as some make it out to be (my opinion). The trigger pull is the ps90 akilies heal (my opinion). The ammo is a little pricey, but if money was a factor you wouldn't be thinking about one. It gets a ten out of ten for the bling factor and innovation. It is fun to shoot and for sure it will get looks. I would buy mine again.

As far as the FS2000 goes.....I couldn't say, I don't own one and I have not shot one. I'm sure most people here will tell you about how they kick ass. Just remember to be objective and consider the source when asking questions like yours here. It's alot of cash to spend and you don't want to have any regrets.

·
Registered
329 Posts
When I hold the PS90 compared to a FS2000 - the PS90 seems more elegant and less unwieldy as the FS2000. The FS2000 seems very bulky.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'd take the FS2000 over the PS90 any day of the week. The FS2000 platform has greater flexibility. It's fine at the shorter ranges and can reach out further than the PS90. Also, it takes readily available AR mags and uses the common (and normally plentiful) 5.56 round. If you are cost conscious, being able to use a common caliber and common mags will lower your operating expenses.

I like the PS90 and have considered getting one but when you consider all of the trade-offs that have been made to bring the PS90 to the civilian market (longer barrel, no select fire, and no AP ammo) you really are compromising a lot of what makes the P90 an interesting platform.

That said, get what makes you happy.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, ammo costs in bulk are about the same now between the ammo for the FS2000 and the PS90. There really isn't a difference anymore. As far as range - well, true, the FS2000 will shoot further. But most of us have unmagnified optics anyway. So, just how far are ya gonna shoot with the thing?

Past 100 yards with an unmagnified optic - U can still hit the target, but managing decent group sizes gets difficult past that point. So, I don't think the PS90 is as big of a trade off.

Be aware that I have heard a lot of neg stuff about impact guns. Everyone says that they claim to have all sorts of stuff in stock, until U actually place your order - then you find out that they don't have it.

I'd check Bud's Guns first, and see if they carry what you want. If U don't see it on their site, call them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The ammo for the p90 is still a lot more than .223 if you shop in the right places. Maybe I just havent seen p90 ammo cheap anywhere.

My opinion is this. The P90 wins for innovation and sytle. It is a more comfortable gun (I have short arms) and its damn easy to accuire a target with. Personally i hate the stock optic. If I were you I would get a tri rail version and put something after market on. When I bring mine up to shoot the red dot on the tril rail lines up perfectly. There isnt a better CQB weapon out there.

Having said that read a few posts up and that pretty much sums up the ps90. We get a non armor pentrating round and a longer barrel. What is the point of the ps90 then? The whole reason for its design was to be small and to shoot that round. Personally if you are looking to spend 2500 on that package you should wander over to cmmg site and just pick up a 10.3 inch version for 2000. Thats really the only way I could justify getting a PS90 was to Short Barrel it.

If you want to try it out first as a 16 inch model then SBR it later you should go here and get the tri rail model for 1475
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

I also own the FS2000 and while it too is a great platform it need for accessories to come out already. I hate the front grip its too fat. I would love this gun so much more if I had a handle up there. Monolith said they are gonna be done by may but may is done and I havent heard anything.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Something no one has touched on is that the 2 rifles are designed for 2 differrent things. Around the house protection PS90 but if this will also be a SHTF bug out rifle the FS2000 would be more what the sitution calls for. I would get both.

Stay the he!! away from impact there is threads by people they have screwed over on just about every gun forum in the world

223 prices (brass) have shot up and 5.7x28 will be DROPPING in price more about August of this year.

·
Registered
156 Posts
commander zippy said:
Ray Tanner jr. is a great guy to deal with
+1 I bought my FS2000 from him and he was top notch in the way he handled the transaction. He was thorough and on top of it. There were no delays. If I had to buy another one, I'd go back to his shop without hesitation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, if he was considering an M4, and is specifically looking for a "rifle," I guess I'd go with the FS2000. Sure, the PS90 is technically a rifle, but I'd say the FS2000 is more of one.

Combine that with AR magazines, cheaper, easier-to-find ammo, and longer, flatter shooting, and I think the choice is clear.

Having said that, I plan to pick up my PS90 on Monday! The FS2000 is getting teased by all of the "regular" guns in my gun room, so it needs another modern-looking FN "pal."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Men, I can't thank you enough. I'm heading out now to look at both rifles one last time and I'm going to order one today. I'll post pics and a full range & ballistics report within a couple of weeks. I really want to show an unbiased and detailed review on both weapons.

Incidentally in my search for the ultimate bullpup I ran across this: http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/ - no reply yet on how much they cost, and I wouldn't buy one until it was reviewed at 5000 rds, but it just goes to show that small arms innovation is alive and well in America. And that's a good thing.

Thanks again.

K11

·
Registered
19 Posts
USAKP

I own both, fine weapons,,,,,

BUY AN AR. You will be happy and much money richer.

PS-90 only have ammunition available from F.N., neither of the two types are particularly good or effective. Both types SS-195 and SS-197 are VERY expensive 5.7 round does not lend itself to easy reloading.

Further the sights STINK. Expensive to change. Magazines cost over $50.00 each.

Add to all of this that the 5.7x28 round is under political pressure this minute, and could be easily banned. What do you do then?

Now for the FS-2000. In a nutshell, why reinvent the 5.56mm wheel.

Not a bad weapon however nothing special outside of being a Bullpup.
Again it is VERY expensive requires additional sights to be added, No, nada, zero parts support from F.N..

In my opinion they have ridden the good name of "F.N." well past the point where it makes sense to buy from them.

The above is simply one mans opinion....

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I disagree with some of the above comments - but, one only need to look at my past posts to know that - so, no need to go thru the points 1 by 1. But, everyone is free to have their own opinion. That is yours. Not gonna knock it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts