FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a lot of shooters that are really pleased with their NP45's . I feel my decision to buy one was the worst guns I have ever purchased. I currently own a FNP45 that has been the most unreliable weapon I own. here has always been FTE & FTF problems. I exchanged mags after I tried cleaning and re-lubing , I tried different ammo , and even had a friend that is a former U.S. marshal shoot it to see if I was causing the problem.
I have now returned the gun to be serviced and was told that it is going to be replaced. This should be good news right ? The only problem now is that no one can tell me when I will be receiving my new gun. FN customer service can't and won't give me any kind of possible delivery date saying " that would be unprofessional to give a date if we don't have a real idea", I say it is unprofessional to tell someone" we are giving you a replacement but have no idea when you will get it."
This will be my last FN of any kind.:sad:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on FN customer service's reply to you on your replacement . I'm pretty sure I would have went completely Off " on That" customer service person , myself ....I just put FN products on my do not buy list !

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I am very sorry to hear about that. The problem seems to stem from the last guy that was there in charge of customer service being let go because he was giving out too many coffee cups, patches, pens, stickers and lots of other FREE swag as well as being extraordinarily nice and professional compassionate and empathetic towards all the FN customers calling that were upset and had problems that needed to be corrected. So apparently the bigwigs at FN were upset with this gentleman because of the high level of customer satisfaction with him, all the problems being resolved and and worst of all all the FREE stuff being given away. Not to mention most customers were taking total advantage of this gentleman's generosity and kindness compassion empathy and willingness to hand out FREE swag. You see no other firearms manufacturer does any of these things. So they let him go. Now the customer service is less than desirable. :-|

Sorry

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
I know there are a lot of shooters that are really pleased with their NP45's . I feel my decision to buy one was the worst guns I have ever purchased. I currently own a FNP45 that has been the most unreliable weapon I own. here has always been FTE & FTF problems. I exchanged mags after I tried cleaning and re-lubing , I tried different ammo , and even had a friend that is a former U.S. marshal shoot it to see if I was causing the problem.
I have now returned the gun to be serviced and was told that it is going to be replaced. This should be good news right ? The only problem now is that no one can tell me when I will be receiving my new gun. FN customer service can't and won't give me any kind of possible delivery date saying " that would be unprofessional to give a date if we don't have a real idea", I say it is unprofessional to tell someone" we are giving you a replacement but have no idea when you will get it."
Might be nice if you added more info.

When did you send it back?

When did you get told you'd get a replacement?

You know, things like a time frame so we'll know how long you've been waiting.

Reactions: 00stormbringer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They receive the pistol on April 17th and by April22nd had determined that it needed to be replaced. I know this from looking at their website under "Support",which then lets you keep track of what is happening. The April 22nd date was listed as a "completion date". There was also a note to allow 3 to 5 days for processing and shipping. jhs7275. Is that the info you needed? Now let me ask you a question, If you drop off your car to get repaired don't you expect to be given a reasonable completion date ?IT"S THE SAME THING !!!!!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
It may be because the FNP is no longer in production.

Reactions: jhs27275

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

New Years Day 2010
http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnp/12253-fnp45-ftf-again.html

I know it's been beat to death but I too have problems with my pistol. I sent an e-mail to their customer service link and mentioned that quite a few guys on this forum are having similiar problems. I would love to keep this weapon but I do not want to be restricted on what ammo I carry. The ammo I was having problems with, shot through my father-in- laws colt 1911 with no problem whatsoever. I will let you know what their response is when I get one. Maybe if everyone that is having this problem contacts them they will be forced to do something to make these guns more ammo friendly.
I don't know if I'm expecting to much, but I would think that our 45's should be able to accept any factory ammo in the correct caliber, or even reloaded ammo if everything is at factory specs.
I know that I would not keep a new automobile if the maker told me, after the fact, that I had to use a certain brand of gasoline.
When I purchased my gun there was no mention of what type of ammunition I would be restricted to using. It's hard enough finding any type of 45 ammo, shopping for a certain brand will make the task even more difficult.
FN prides itself on being a large supplier of military weapons, but I'm sure the military would not accept being forced to use only a few different types of ammunition.
What do you other fnp owners think?
Present Day

They receive the pistol on April 17th and by April22nd had determined that it needed to be replaced. I know this from looking at their website under "Support",which then lets you keep track of what is happening. The April 22nd date was listed as a "completion date". There was also a note to allow 3 to 5 days for processing and shipping. jhs7275. Is that the info you needed? Now let me ask you a question, If you drop off your car to get repaired don't you expect to be given a reasonable completion date ?IT"S THE SAME THING !!!!!
:evil:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I realize that FN does not make the FNP any longer. They said mine would be replaced with an FNX, which is fine since they decided to discontinue making a pistol with so many problems. And yes it is the same gun from my past posts. This thread has drifted from my topic of the Customer Service reps not being able to give me any clue as to when I might see my replacement pistol. Since I work in manufacturing , I know that there is some type of schedule that shows when the next order of FNX's will be produced. I would just like to know when that will be. JHS ,you neglected to answer my question to you about the car repair.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Gun repair or replacement from a major gun mfg. and comparing it with auto repair is ricockules! It is in no way the same, in any way. Ppl depend on their autos for their lively hood, for work or for a business. Your gun is merely for recreation and/or self-protection. If you truly depend on your gun for your work, if you’re in law enforcement, government agent, FBI,CIA, DHS, Armed Forces, etc. etc, then your agency should issue you another fire arm.

Most cars go in for warranty work or repair to a dealer, and the repair is going to be for a period of time, and waiting at the dealer is not an option. That dealer will most likely issue you a loaner so as there is no disruption or inconvenience in that individuals everyday life.

Every gun mfg has to fulfill their many, many dealers and customers expectations 1[SUP]st[/SUP] for delivery across the world before they can cater to the one individual that should’ve contacted FN when the problems occurred.
And the time line as to which they can send you a replacement after they fulfill other obliges that FN has agreed upon, let’s just say, “Patients is a virtue”.

Gun repair/replacement as compared to auto repair at a dealer or mechanic, NOT THE SAME and a ridicules analogy!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Gun repair or replacement from a major gun mfg. and comparing it with auto repair is ricockules! It is in no way the same, in any way.Ppl depend on their autos for their lively hood, for work or for a business.Your gun is merely for recreation and/or self-protection.If you truly depend on your gun for your work, if you’re in law enforcement, government agent, FBI,CIA, DHS, Armed Forces, etc. etc, then your agency should issue you another fire arm.

Most cars go in for warranty work or repair to a dealer, and the repair is going to be for a period of time, and waiting at the dealer is not an option.That dealer will most likely issue you a loaner so as there is no disruption or inconvenience in that individuals everyday life.

Every gun mfg has to fulfill their many, many dealers and customers expectations 1[SUP]st[/SUP] for delivery across the world before they can cater to the one individual that should’ve contacted FN when the problems occurred.
And the time line as to which they can send you a replacement after they fulfill other obliges that FN has agreed upon, let’s just say, “Patients is a virtue”.

Gun repair/replacement as compared to auto repair at a dealer or mechanic, NOT THE SAME and a ridicules analogy!
It truly saddens me to see the leanth that some of you go through to explain away or justify poor customer service. Your statement maybe true sir. Howervr if I hear that any manufacture ever makes an official statement stating anything like what you just posted, and I don't care what manufacture if it is televisions
, automobiles , firearms etc. etc. etc. I will never do business with that company again. There is just too much competition for every type of service and product line for the consumer to have to put up with any crappy service or product. Let's just face it, some manufacturers and or vendors just don't give a s$^t about their customers. I see it all the time in my industry, the air-conditioning world. Fortunately those are the types that don't do very well or last very long. Or they do well at first but it finally gets them in the end. To be honest with this forum I have no idea what's going on at FN. I've heard some explanations from other members that either sound lame or hard to believe. I also find it strange that a representative from FN is not a member here to help out with these type of questions and concerns. Perhaps somebody in the know here did request that from them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I sent my fnp 45 competition in on June 1. I had exploded into pieces. Cracked the frame it was a bad deal. They called me today and told me they were going to send me a replacement firearm. However they don't make that model anymore. They offered me a fnx 45 tactical as a replacement. Even giving me the option of color. I was shocked with the excellent customer service. They told me that my replacement is currently out of stock and would be shipped out to me in 3-4 weeks. To me they did everything above and beyond what I could expect 100% satisfied. Why you didn't get the same customer service is beyond me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gwissel1, you are correct in saying that gun mfg's has to fulfill many customer ad dealers expectations, since I am a customer who has already paid for my gun I would think fulfilling my expectations would be fairly high on their list. I am not asking for my gun o be here yesterday, I would just like some kind of idea of when I can expect it. The analogy of the car repair might not have been the best choice but most people understand the concept of being given a time line.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally received my replacement for my FNP45 on Friday.It is an FNX and I was able to take it out this weekend and try it out. My first impression is that it is a really nice gun and functions well. I ran various kinds of ammo through it and had zero malfunctions. I guess this will be my last post in the FNP section and I will be joining the FNX gang.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have never had any cause to get my FNP40 serviced, I would though like to find some place where parts were more readily available. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of spare parts floating around.

·
Administrator
12,217 Posts
I finally received my replacement for my FNP45 on Friday.It is an FNX and I was able to take it out this weekend and try it out. My first impression is that it is a really nice gun and functions well. I ran various kinds of ammo through it and had zero malfunctions. I guess this will be my last post in the FNP section and I will be joining the FNX gang.
I am happy for you that your quest for a new firearm is over. It appears to have been years in the making.

This was my latest experience with CS. It was not an issue with the firearm itself, but with the McMillan cheek riser. They wanted me to send in the firearm, at their expense, so that they could handle the repair. After a brief discussion with the tech, we decided a different approach, to contact McMillan because that is what FN would have had to do anyways as they do not stock McMillan replacement parts. So I told the CS rep that I would contact McMillan directly. I spoke with Justin and he had me send in my cheek riser to them at McMillan for a refinish at no cost to me except shipping to them, and I am eagerly awaiting its return, but alas, it was just delivered yesterday to them so I fear that I will have some time to wait. My shipping cost was $5.02. BTW, the FN rep told me that if I had issues with McMillan that I should call them back and they would issue a call slip to have my rifle sent to them and do the repair, including the test firing to ensure that everything was in order. I had to chuckle because I have not even fired my SPR yet so I had to tell them that no test firing was necessary. And yes, I know that shipping a handgun is overnight by FedEx or UPS unless it is a long gun, in which case you can mail it via USPS.

But back to FN and its repair service. I can not say anything negative about them. Now if we want to talk about Browning and their parts availability for FN firearms, that is a different story. But in reality, put the blame where it belongs, on the administration and state department, customs, etc because of all the hoops that FN has to dance through to get parts imported into the US from Belgium. Lets face it, dealing with the US Govt is like elephants having babies, it takes two years for any results. I have heard complaints about CS reps but I have never experienced this and I have contact with them 6 to 8 times a year.

I have heard horror stories about FN customer service. I can tell you that since Bob was canned, their customer service has sunk, but that is because they are and have been inundated with people calling because the colors do not match on their firearms and the have demand that FN pay for the shipment back to them for a new colored part. Not going to happen! To those people, I am happy that FN slammed them because they should have complained to the selling dealer, not FN. Once you take the firearm from the dealer, it is yours, period.

Yes, I do admit that if I called for a manual or something, I had to call again, and again, but they are down loadable from their web site. But for firearm repair, they are still tops in my book. But then, that is two different places.

Now equating a firearm repair to a car repair (one facility in the country compared to 20 dealerships in 100 square miles, sometimes 10 square miles) is blatantly absurd. Parts can be overnighted from one car dealership to another for a quick repair. Parts CAN NOT be overnighted from Belgium or imported without all the federal approvals. It is easier to put another man on the moon than it is to get a firearm or firearm parts imported into this country today.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you truly depend on your gun for your work, if you’re in law enforcement, government agent, FBI,CIA, DHS, Armed Forces, etc. etc, then your agency should issue you another fire arm

I am actually in this same situation at this very moment. It really depends on your agency. At my agency each deputy supplies their own sidearms. Thankfully I was lucky and had duty gear for my 1911 since it was my main duty weapon until I purchased my FNP45-T back in 2010. FN was sent to factory on 7/18/15 and is going to be replaced. Don't have an ETA but I don't really mind... I am getting a new FN afterall. I have been very pleased with FN customer service. No complaints whatsoever.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A gun shop owner here in Ohio told me that he has trouble with FNH. He told me that they are his best friends for the first few months of the year when they are pushing products for his order, but once he has placed and received his order, they are not very helpful at all.

A gunsmith also told me that he has had major issues getting parts from them as well.

A year or two ago, I purchased an SLP MK1 and several months later they offered the same gun with a pistol grip stock. They would not sell me a stock, nor would they install one if I sent it to them and paid for the parts, service, and shipping. The CS agent told me that my only option was to sell mine and buy a new one with the pistol grip stock. The good news is that I recently purchased the stock and completed the install yesterday. ~$140 spent instead of taking a loss on the sale of an $1100 gun and trying to find the one with the pistol stock.

I think FN makes so much money on government contracts, that the civilian market is not a priority. I cannot understand how so many people are treated so differently and why FN can't be more forthcoming with consumers who send them products to be fixed. I sent Springfield an XD-s to be repaired and I had it back in my possession in about 10 days (including shipping) and was given a free magazine for the inconvenience.

I really like FNH's products, but they should treat their customers better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.