FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my new ACOG TA11E-G tonight, and needed some guidance on how to sight in.

I would like to sight in at 100 meters to utilize the BDC, but only have a 50 yard range availiable to me.

My question is... Is there a target that shows the point of aim in one circle, and the point of impace in another circle that would compensate for the shorter range.

When I sighted in my eotech for my AR, I had a 25yd target that had these two circles. One circle is where I aimed, and the circle where the bullet would hit was the 50yd zero representation.

I apologize if I am not being clear.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I sighted my TA11-E at 25yards using the 300 yard hash mark. This will give you a 25/300 yard battle sight zero. From my experience, the BDC is close out to 450-500 yards. I can't confirm beyond that as I do not have access to known varying distances past 450 yards. This pic may help you as it did for myself. I would do this as it is hard to zero a 3.5 optic without at least a 10x set of binoculars at 100 yards.

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
I would like to add that the picture I added to the above post is for a TA31-F but you get the idea. Also it is for 36 yards or 25 meters but I have done a BZO of 50/350(yrds) before. I figure 25 yards is closer to 36 yards rather than 50 yards which is why I chose 25 yards. I'm going to shoot at 100 yards to see where this 25 yard BZO puts me. Ugh I re-read that and I said yards about 7 times. Sorry in advance, just trying to be specific!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Use the 200 yard marker at 50 yards. You should be very close to zeroed.

I usually do a coarse zero at 50 and then a final at 200. I'm usually need to adjust less than 2" at that range.

H

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So... Went to the 50 yd range at NRA in Virginia. Placed a target at the 25 meter mark. Had to put the chevron stick at the 600 meter mark to hit the bullseye. Is accurate in the sense that the bullet goes where I am aiming, I just thought at 25 meters, I was supposed to be aiming at the 300 meter mark.

to boot... I was holding the Scar like my AR and caught my thumb on the charging handle :)

i will ill be going to a 200 yd range in NC in a few weeks, and give a better report after sighting in there.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It happens, actually the last time I went shooting my magpul ms3 sling that I won had a strap piece get caught in the ch and it exploded into two pieces! The scar was ok though. Time before that I caught my thumb. It happens. Hey elite, It sounds like your ACOG is on for windage, all you need to do is turn the top knob (the elevation knob) in the "U" direction. Mark how many inches your point of impact is away from your point of aim and make the adjustment. My TA11-E has 1/3 of a inch per click adjustments at 100 yards. But still at 25 yards, Just make your bullet impact move up in the reticle and get your bullets to impact where they should like in the picture I included in my above post. Click it three or four times, shoot a three shot group, make an adjustment and so on until the ACOG is zeroed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, down in NC went to a 100yd range, and the gun shoots great. Got myself a 6 day license, and the wife's brother in law took me out to hunt white tail. Too bad I did not see anything, but it was awesome being out in the field with my Scar.

Quick question about zeroing.

When back at the home range (which is only 50 yds) how low will my shot placement be for a 100 meter zero?

Thanks for all of the help and support.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
When sighting in don't forget to give it a good tap on the turrets enough to seat the prism!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
So, down in NC went to a 100yd range, and the gun shoots great. Got myself a 6 day license, and the wife's brother in law took me out to hunt white tail. Too bad I did not see anything, but it was awesome being out in the field with my Scar.

Quick question about zeroing.

When back at the home range (which is only 50 yds) how low will my shot placement be for a 100 meter zero?

Thanks for all of the help and support.
Up your IQ on ballistics and zeros.

ShootersCalculator.com

I use use this program when zeroing a new optic - even with my normal 100 yards zero, I figure out POI at 25 yards so as I initially rough zero I know how far it's supposed to be below the POA.

Realize that with any BDC, it was designed for a specific bullet, velocity, and conditions (weather, height above rifle bore, etc). They are still usable when deviating from the specs, however you need to know what those differences are.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Here is an example.

From quick research the TA11E is for a 175gr bullet, 2500 FPS, .477 BC, 3.5" Height over bore

That data compared to an American Eagle 308 150gr FMJ, 2800 FPS, .408 BC, 3.5" HOB

Again, it all depends in the rifle (height over bore and barrel length as it affect veloctiy), ammunition (bullet type, BC, velocity), etc.

In short, there it not currently a magic optic that you can fire any ammunition in, sight in once, and it'll always be spot on. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts