FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum... well new to posting on the forum, I have read alot of posts. But anyways, I have been looking for a way to eliminate some of the take up in my FNX9 in SA. Is there a aftermarket sear that can be put in to improve the SA of the FNX? or is it a Gunsmith thing or is there no fix.

LBXX

·
Registered
317 Posts
Welcome!

I'm surprised that you're dissatisfied with the SA pull on your FNX. The one I bought, and the several more that I've shot, all had great pulls - for a large defensive pistol.

Gotta remember the pistols purpose, its not a Colt Gold Cup. My pull is dead smooth, but has decent amount of very controllable engagement (creep). There's also all the slack in the entire trigger mechanism, which is quickly gotten used to.

Two strikes here - first is that I've never seen mention of any aftermarket part for the FNX, except a few aftermarket barrels, and sights. Strike two is that the entire fire control group does not really lend itself to tinkering and adjustment in a manner that other pistols may allow. Not saying its impossible, just saying for trouble vs improvement vs reliability vs safety, you'd be better off shooting you FNX like you stole it to break it in a bit.

As it happens, right after I got my FNX, I had to take a road trip to a rather remote area. The FNX was one of two handguns that came with me. On that trip I dry fired the pistol well over 2000 times. Yes, I counted, in lots of 100 as I drove (and my hand recovered). I can honestly say it did smooth things quite a bit, and lead to that dead smooth trigger.

Not sure if you got your entire answer... but thats my 2c worth.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I think the only way to do that would be to get a custom made trigger bar. I'm seeing two things that cause the slack in SA: the length of the trigger bar (not sure if you could have one made a mm or two longer without affecting function, may be possible) and the polymer trigger. If the trigger was changed to a metal trigger (like a SIG 22X series), that would eliminate some of the trigger flex. That again would have to be a custom job. If you're a machinist, you might be able to do that yourself. I can't imagine it being terribly cheap to have a one-off metal trigger made though.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have been reading a lot on certain MFR's firearms that their stock triggers are lacking. Of late I have been reading that of M&P 9 & 40C (a firearm I would consider for a future purchase). I have not read that about the FNS or FNX, but wonder if there is a consensus of dissatisfaction with the stock trigger. I have yet to shoot any FN products , but have a interest in them. At the moment I carry a Ruger SR40C. Though Galloway Tactical makes a drop in trigger upgrade for the SR40C. I am so pleased with the stock trigger, I don't get why some people need it.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its not that I'm dissatisfied with the gun in any way I wowould like to improve on the action. I'm not a comp shooter but would like to get in to shooting comp and the FNX would be my choice. I didn't know if there were parts like the M&Ps have to inprove trigger action.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts