FN Herstal Firearms banner

New AR Parts

5K views 52 replies 17 participants last post by  acmeraptor 
#1 ·
I just figured since I spent the last of my money available for the next 9 days that this deserved a post. I've never been a real fan of the AR15 but considering the political climate and whatnot I decided to make the leap.

Anyhow, the picture is a stripped upper and lower receiver made from Sun Devil MFG here in Arizona. Billet milled and anodized in OD green, it seems pretty sturdy. I'll have to do some further research on the internal components, but it should be pretty educational. I may even ask for some suggestions in the future.

Anyhow here's the ooh, ahh picture.

See less See more
#5 ·
Well I managed to pick up a Colt lower parts kit. Expensive, but I'd rather pay a little extra to have something sooner than save some money and wait 2-3 months or more.

I have as much as I can put together without having a grip or stock except for the bolt catch, that roll pin is hard to get in without scratching up the lower but I'll get that later.

As for the upper, she's going to be empty for a while yet but I was thinking of making it into a 6.5 Grendel shooter. What do you guys think?

#7 ·
I went with the 6.8 spc over the 6.5 grendel because there is only one 6.5 ammo maker. Don't get me wrong if all things were even on the ammo supply side I'd really have to re-think my choice. Past 400 meters the grendel is the winner hands down. The only other thing that concerned me about the grendel is the shape of the round feeding correctly/cosistantly.

Just my 2 cents.

#8 ·
devildoc said:
I went with the 6.8 spc over the 6.5 grendel because there is only one 6.5 ammo maker. Don't get me wrong if all things were even on the ammo supply side I'd really have to re-think my choice. Past 400 meters the grendel is the winner hands down. The only other thing that concerned me about the grendel is the shape of the round feeding correctly/cosistantly.

Just my 2 cents.
I've had concerns of the feeding as well, but from videos I've seen of them, it hasn't been an issue. I haven't heard of any feeding issues either (although I haven't heard much about the round in a while either). It would be nice if a few more manufacturers started producing the 6.5 Grendel.

#9 ·
Yea I thought about the 6.8 spc also but I wanted a long range gun. Instead of getting a bolt action rifle I decided on the grendel, I really like the fact that I can change out the upper and practically have an entirely different gun. As for the ammo, they have to start somewhere I guess. As more people turn to the 6.5, hopefully more manufacturers will jump on board.

Anyhow, the lower is completed. The grip is doesn't look like it's quite fitted for that lower but it's on there tight so all should be good. I'm looking forward to blowing my Christmas bonus on getting parts for the upper. I already have my eye on a LaRue handguard for starters.

/edit - photo replaced showing the smaller backstop

#11 ·
djv38 said:
I like that stock.

You're right that the grip doesn't look quite right.
Damn, now I have to try one of the other backstops.

#12 ·
The barrel is ordered. Hopefully it comes in within the next few weeks. Anyhow here's how it's sort of looking now.

#18 ·
Thanks everyone, she's coming along nicely. Just a quick update..the order for the 24" AlexanderArms barrel is still pending. I did however manage to get a GG&G bipod 4 weeks ahead of the estimated backorder time, I guess someone in line ahead of me backed out.

It's not worth another picture until that barrel does come in so hopefully in a week or two that upper will be 90% complete. I have already got my taxes done so the sooner my refund comes back, the sooner I'll have a big pretty scope.

#21 ·
Thanks, though I'm starting to wonder when it will be done. It has been about a month now and still no idea when to expect the barrel. I tried calling but got the same backorder rap that I'm sure many, many other people are hearing.

Now it is a toss up to what comes first, the barrel or the form 4 for my Trident 9 suppressor (expected over the next 8-9 weeks)

#22 ·
Waiting...

I know what you mean man, I'm waiting on an Armalite 50 since Nov08. Just busy yourself reloading if you do that, I know I do! :)

#23 ·
acmeraptor- Just a question for yea. I was wondering about that Sun Devil upper and lower reciever you got. I saw from their web site that they reinforced some areas in them, to make them stronger. Will a standard mil spec upper fit on their lower, or do you have to get their upper? Thanks in advance.

#24 ·
devildoc said:
acmeraptor- Just a question for yea. I was wondering about that Sun Devil upper and lower reciever you got. I saw from their web site that they reinforced some areas in them, to make them stronger. Will a standard mil spec upper fit on their lower, or do you have to get their upper? Thanks in advance.
Nope, any mil spec upper will do. I believe they have a requirement that if you want a certain color (OD Green for example) then you'd have to get the set. A friend got one of their black lowers and put a Spike's Tactical upper on it.

#25 ·
Just another quick update. I would still need to by scope rings but the only hold up is still the barrel. No light at the end of the tunnel yet but I'm satisfied for now getting the scope. A Nightforce NXS 12-42x56 NP-R2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.