FN Herstal Firearms banner

New Born

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Lastshot 
#1 ·
Well after playing with the MSR338, AI338 I pull the trigger and decided to be the odd ball and get the ballista will se how she performs. I have a MSR at work so I know the short falls of it. So far I don’t know how this gun got beat by the MSR during the selection this gun is way better so far Day one inspection let’s see how it holds up and shoots. I own the AI in 300win mag but my buddy has it in 338 and the MSR is just a work gun.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a chance to pick up a Ballista at dealer cost (allegedly).... I should have took that deal when I had the chance. This weapon still intrigues me even though I don't have the skill set to put it good use. Never the less I'm always interested in supporting fellow members to acquire one ( LESTER ... hint , hint ). Please keep us posted , I would love to hear a "working mans" review or comparison some day. Cool pics .... appreciate seeing one in " the wild " actually being put to good use. These work guns are in a league of their own from a financial affordability standpoint ( for me ). The weapon and then subsequent optic purchase ( not to mention muffler selection ) would get me " served " some divorce papers immediately....LOL
I do have a couple serious questions ( instead of wanna be owner dribblings ).
How was the recoil compared to the other 2 (MSR & AI ) I did have a older remmy .338 lapua and it kicked my arse !
&
How did it shoot ( MOA & sub MOA ? ) and at what distances were you able to test it out at ?

Just curious... it looks like you have some impressive rigg's .... ( work gun beaters or not ) would love some range report input if you can share ?
THX...
mjk1

#3 ·
Will definitely post all 3 shoot groups yesterday was all day taking it apart and ensuring everything was up to specs. First rifle that comes with a pre check inspection sheet that includes cleaning information on how they cleaned it and pre inspection was conducted the actually clean it so you can’t just start sending rounds down range. Her are some more pictures.

Attachments

#5 ·
Quick update just zeroed the scope and shoot great I had 4 rounds left and decided to group them so two groups of two rounds.
I will clean it and confirm zero then I will do the challenge to test it against the MSR the AI and the ballista who will have the best group.

Attachments

#6 ·
I sure like my Ballista. I just attended a long range hunting course this weekend with mine. Keep in mind not an ELR class so we only went out 1100 yards and I don’t plan on hunting with it.I just attended because it was the only class close enough to me that went out at least 1000 yards. Plus I am still wanting to learn. We were hitting metal targets so I don’t have paper to show but the spotters were saying the hits were well within 1 Moa from 100-1100 yard targets. I used a Sig Kilo 2400 with my own reload ballistics and that combo was so easy. While everyone else was pulling up apps and trying to see them on their phone in the bright sunlight I was beaming with the kilo and dialing up elevation and hitting targets first shot. This gun really is just warming up at 1100 yards. I’m excited to take it to an ELR school someday when I get the time. Had mine now for around two years and do not regret buying it. I did adjust my trigger as good as I could down to just about 3.0lbs. Would like a touch lighter but it’s fine for now till I figure out how to get it lower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.