FN Herstal Firearms banner

After watching this video would you try out this round?

• Yes, Definitely!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. This is just more Gun Rag oriented hype.

• Perhaps, but I'd want to know more, like how it feeds and ejects.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watch this video and give us your thoughts.

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=786

Notice where the commentator shuts up the spokesman when he starts getting "technical." I'm not sure if HE was getting lost or just wanted a shorter video... :roll:

· Registered
6 Posts
Hornady Critical Defense Ammo

I'd like to try it out in my Ruger LCP but can't find it anywhere in town. The C&E gun show this past weekend had several ammo sellers but none had the Critical Defense Round in any caliber. Since I only carry my LCP in the summer in shorts I'm not that concerned about penetrating several layers of clothing. That said, however, I'd like to be as certain as possible that the round will expand properly.

· Registered
411 Posts
I will have to test the penetration and expansion of that new bullet when it hits stores.

From that pic they showed I'm not impressed, but it was a .380 so hopefully a 9mm will be hotter.

Right now in 9mm, the overall king is still between Speer gold-dot 124s and Hornady TAP 124's when it comes to wound cavity and depth (speer wins in expansion hands down).

· Banned
93 Posts
MrSteve said:
I found this, maybe it will help you guys.... http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...=froogle&cm_pla=0350102&cm_ite=0066032216932a

EDIT... Sorry it looked like it was in stock, but when sending it to the cart, it said back ordered, maybe put it on wish list and get an e-mail when they have it.
Well that sucks, because I just got the new Cabela's "Shooters Catalog" and was excited to see these rounds on the back cover. Advertising something you don't even have in stock... pretty lame if you ask me. :(

· Registered
107 Posts
XMM said:
If this is 100% for personal protection, why have two .38 Special loads and none for the .40SW or the .45ACP?
They could be coming out later or in their testing, maybe the 2 rounds (40 and 45) don't have a problem with expansion when hitting cloths, just a thought. I would think the two 38 rounds is because one is a +P for the guys that feel they really need that +P power.

· Banned
93 Posts
Well heres my guess why theres no .40 or .45... yet.

They said the flexy tips in the hollow-point are specifically engineered for the particular round. They could be still working out the kinks about how soft or hard the tips need to be when working with the ballistics of the .40 and .45. Given that they also suggest this is round is made for short barreled guns, making a tip that will allow the round to expand reliably with the lower velocity generated by a .45 out of a short barrel could prove a challenge.

Not making a .40 or .45 round would be a huge oversite. Many PD's use .40 and it's no mystery alot of people love the .45. Hornady would be foolish not to produce them eventually.

· Registered
16 Posts
Federal is now making a round similar to this. It is called the expanding full metal jacket or EFMJ. It's pretty much the same principle except the rubber is inside a FMJ that has rifling on the inside in order to allow the bullet to collapse in a uniform manner. Here's a link to a description.

http://www.thegunzone.com/efmj.html

I bought some today and plan on shooting a few of them in the near future. I'll post some picks whenever I do.

· Registered
41 Posts
jgrint1 said:
Federal is now making a round similar to this. It is called the expanding full metal jacket or EFMJ. It's pretty much the same principle except the rubber is inside a FMJ that has rifling on the inside in order to allow the bullet to collapse in a uniform manner. Here's a link to a description.

http://www.thegunzone.com/efmj.html

I bought some today and plan on shooting a few of them in the near future. I'll post some picks whenever I do.
The EFMJ round has been around for quite a few years now. And it has failed or at least been extremely disappointing as far as expansion goes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.