FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a FNP-45 to add to my FNP-9. I've also found that the Tagua OWB with thumbsnap holster for the Sig P220 fits almost perfectly. In fact, it's very tight, and the snap will go over the hammer with some effort and stretching. I'm planning on leaving the weapon in the holster for a while to get it to mold to shape.

Now as far as the range is concerned. I bought three 50 rd. boxes of different types of ammunition: Blazer 180gr. MagTech 230gr. Remington UMC (Green box) 230gr. All types were FMJ.

The Blazer had feed jams or failures to extract on EVERY single round!

The MagTech did much better with only 1 feed failure.

The Remington also only had 1 feed failure, but worked on the 2nd try.

I'm going to try my old standby with the Winchester White Box FMJ and see how it goes on my next range trip.

Also, in disassembling the weapon, I noticed that the rail that comes out of the hammer assembly is hook shaped towards the inside of the weapon. On the FNP-9 this rail is straight. Is it supposed to be like that?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I wonder if your feed failures are simply because of recoil spring break-in.
My understanding is that the hook shape is by design.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
No - that is how it should be - it is different for different calibers.

Leave the slide locked back - on many FNPs, the recoil spring is too strong and needs to be broken in. Also, you can manually work the slide back 100+ times if you wish. But afterwards, just leave it locked back for 1-2 weeks. That has solved the problem for many people that do have issues

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had recoil spring issues on my FNP-9, but that was casings hitting me in the face. Unfortunately I live on a military base, so I have to store my weapons in an armory and do not have access to them so I can't store it with the slide locked back, but I'll shoot it some more and see if it smooths out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I took a long lunch break and put 100 rds. of WWB 230gr. FMJ downrange without a single hiccup. I'm up to 250 rds. total. So it looks like the FNP-45 is getting broken in and will be an excellent addition to my arsenal. The recoil spring is still slightly stiff as casings keep flying back towards me, but I'm sure that'll smooth out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts