FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new Elcan 1.5-6x from Ken @ KERIF Night Vision. If anyone is looking at an Elcan, I would highly recommend doing business with KERIF. Professional, informative, fast shipping and great prices.

As for the Elcan, couldn't be happier!! Glad I got the flip covers also..

Attachments

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Nice!!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
The 1.5-6x, or Elcan in general?

BTW... Nice acquisition Bdcody... Definitely on my short-short list!
The Elcan in general, I've looked through both but what I can remember 1.5-6 had a tighter eyebox. Great field of view, great glass and super bright dot though. A new generation of Elcan with several tweaks could be the ultimate scope but for me, they are close but no cigar. They do look damn sexy on a SCAR though.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Looks good congrats, do you have any other pics. I've got an Elcan coming in the near future also. Let us know what you think of it after a range trip.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Elcan in general, I've looked through both but what I can remember 1.5-6 had a tighter eyebox. Great field of view, great glass and super bright dot though. A new generation of Elcan with several tweaks could be the ultimate scope but for me, they are close but no cigar. They do look damn sexy on a SCAR though.
It may be an issue with muscle memory and experience. Shouldering it 5-6 times and I got right into it quick. Couldn't be happier with the purchase. I did have an opportunity to look through some other optics in this price range (won't list companies out of respect) and felt this was the best choice. To each it's own..

·
Registered
196 Posts
Eyebox is awful on the Elcan, it's what turned me off to it.
Hence why I asked. The 4x didn't impress me. Great glass, but the tight eye relief and small eyebox seemed crappy for the price. Between a Specter OS4x and TA33 ACOG, I'd pick ACOG due to the eye relief alone.

Im thinking they are about the same. But the eye box doesn't seem to be an issue for me. Truly happy with it!
I just wonder how it'd be in non-static shooting. Playing with the 4x disappointed me, but I haven't been able to meet up with someone running a DR Specter to evaluate the 1x magnification. The limited eyebox is a problem for me as the infinite eye relief and enormous eyebox of an unmagnified red dot are amazing and what I'm used to. Indexing the rifle properly into the shoulder pocket is still something I'm working on.

I too look forward to honest evaluations of the Specter TR 1/3/9.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hence why I asked. The 4x didn't impress me. Great glass, but the tight eye relief and small eyebox seemed crappy for the price. Between a Specter OS4x and TA33 ACOG, I'd pick ACOG due to the eye relief alone.

I just wonder how it'd be in non-static shooting. Playing with the 4x disappointed me, but I haven't been able to meet up with someone running a DR Specter to evaluate the 1x magnification. The limited eyebox is a problem for me as the infinite eye relief and enormous eyebox of an unmagnified red dot are amazing and what I'm used to. Indexing the rifle properly into the shoulder pocket is still something I'm working on.

I too look forward to honest evaluations of the Specter TR 1/3/9.
I was going to hold out for the Specter TR but I heard the FOV wasn't great compared to the DR. I'm sure we can all agree there isn't a perfect optic. I originally had a eotech on my 17 and decided to sell it for a Aimpoint CompM4. Which lead me into thinking I'm $800 deep with no magnification and limiting the range of the SCAR. Let's be honest here, there is NO substitute for eotech or aimpoints in CQB. The 1.5 is a little funky with both eyes open and has limited eye box. But for what I need (SHTF and defensive situation) this is as good as it gets. I can run both eyes open in a pinch and punch it at long range if needed.

Also, I could be wrong, but doesn't the ACOG have a shorter eye relief? 1.5 inches or something..

·
Registered
196 Posts
The TA33 (3x compact ACOG) specs per Trijicon are laughable. Actual eye relief on that particular model is FAR greater, nearly 4 inches or so. The higher magnification ACOGs (3.5×, 4×) have shorter eye relief that matches Trijicon's specs.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The TA33 (3x compact ACOG) specs per Trijicon are laughable. Actual eye relief on that particular model is FAR greater, nearly 4 inches or so. The higher magnification ACOGs (3.5×, 4×) have shorter eye relief that matches Trijicon's specs.
This was a big reason why I fell in love with the TA33s. Fantastic eye relief and very forgiving eye box. I have two of these and they're great scopes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thank you OP..... Your post pushed me off the fence... I just picked up the 1-4x after digesting info here. Eye relief is quite simply awesome. Eyebox....not exactly awesome, yet pretty damn decent! Interesting to me how the eyebox remains consistent from 1x to 4x; an interesting predicament, as I'm genuinely impressed with this bulky beauty!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts