FN Herstal Firearms banner

New Elcan

12K views 53 replies 19 participants last post by  johnson184 
#1 ·
Just got my new Elcan 1.5-6x from Ken @ KERIF Night Vision. If anyone is looking at an Elcan, I would highly recommend doing business with KERIF. Professional, informative, fast shipping and great prices.

As for the Elcan, couldn't be happier!! Glad I got the flip covers also..

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Nice!!!

#20 ·
Thank you OP..... Your post pushed me off the fence... I just picked up the 1-4x after digesting info here. Eye relief is quite simply awesome. Eyebox....not exactly awesome, yet pretty damn decent! Interesting to me how the eyebox remains consistent from 1x to 4x; an interesting predicament, as I'm genuinely impressed with this bulky beauty!

#29 ·
Having owned and used ELCAN SpecterDr’s I can say they are a very tough scope that can take one heck of a beating if that’s what you’reafter. These scopes are truly one of the best “COMBAT” optics on the current market.

Is it the perfect combat optic no its not but it offers good glass and a great illumination system that few can match.

I think the BDC reticule is fully functional for minute of man hits out to 700-800yards. Small complaint but I do wish civilian ELCAN would have integrated a solid cross hair and not an empty circle on the 700-1000 yard reticle stadia lines to offer amore consistent aiming point for extended ranges.

My biggest complaint about the SpecterDr’s is the weight. After carrying a lot of gear for the government(ounces equalpounds and pounds equal pain) I always seem to gravitate to lighter equipment if possible, one of the many reasons I like the SCAR17s so much!

That said if you want a more durable unit it’s generally going to be heavier. I just don’t see myself needing that much durability to justify the additional weight at this time.

#32 ·
I'm actually planning to buy either the 1x/4x or the 1.5x/6x, but can't t decide which one to get. I'm primarily going to use my 17 as a battle rifle with some mid/some what long range capability(400-600 IMO). I also plan on using a piggyback mrds,like Stryker has mentioned, I have experience using that setup on another optic that I have sold to acquire the funds for the Elcan optic. I essentially will be using the mrds for CQTA and the magnification options for scanning and of course mid-to some what long range shooting. My 17 is the only rifle I have so, essentially it is my go to rifle for SHTF or whatever scenario, even if I buy other rifles my 17 will still be my go to because it simply the best. Side note I sold three of my ARs because I didn't shoot them anymore after I got my 17; I just never looked at them the same way ahah! Also sorry to the OP and others if I jacked this thread, just thought it be the best place to ask because it's the most recent and relivant..... And I just need help because I just want to join the club! Ahah

#37 ·
Your not jacking the thread. There is very limited info on the net regarding Elcans so it's great to help out. I don't have experience regarding the 4x, but people that have always lean to the 6x for the 17. If your already in the range of the 4x, what is another $400-500?? My biggest fear is dropping the money on the 4x and always wanting more. Do it right the first time when you got the cash IMO.

if you do buy, please contact Ken @ KERIF. He will give you the best price period. Also, I would highly recommend the flip caps..

#53 ·
I find that hard to believe since what your "supposed" to see advertised is what they call MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) and if you call or email Ken at KERIF, his prices are well below MAP. I'd be very suspicious of anyone not advertising prices set by ELCAN because that shows they are selling counterfeit sights or they aren't an authorized dealer and you may have no product support. Regardless of the price, I'd pay extra for the customer support you get from KERIF (even though you don't have to). Don't forget to mention the FN Forum (and user name) when you discuss price. You'll save enough to get some other toys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.