FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my PS90 for about a year and a half. Buying a Five-seveN just seemed like a natural progression. I'm amazed at the distance, and love the gun. I have had one concern.

THe first time I took it out, when I pull the slide back to cock the gun, and then let go, a bullet would chamber, but it didn't fire. I found I had to push the slide forward just a tiny bit, like it was catching on something when returning to its position. Maybe 1/16 of an inch. I took the gun home and cleaned and oiled it, and took it back out, and it is still doing the same thing. Is this a common problem with a common fix?

·
Registered
368 Posts
No its not (IMO), though someone else recently posted about a problem with theirs. I have a 2004 USG and a new MKII, and a friend comes over a lot to shoot with his FDE USG and none do this. They have been the most reliable pistols I have ever shot. I almost forgot how fun they are to shoot and last night, just before dark, put 100 rounds through my MKII @25 on some gongs. What a blast!

First, I am going to assume you are not riding the slide. Is this happening on every shot? If it is only the first shot, then you are. Verify the rounds are sitting correctly in the mags also. Is the gun new or used? Either way, clean the chamber really well, inspect it also to ensure there are no burrs etc. Finally, if you cannot find anything obvious, contact FNH.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a new owner as well. Shot it for the first time today. 100 rounds if AE and 100 rounds of 197sr. Not a single problem. Ran like Rolex. You should call FN and get it fixed. You will love it once its running correctly. Amazing accuracy and zero recoil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. It is a New MKII. It only happens on the first shot. I'm not riding the slide. I've tried loading the mag a couple dozen times, and it has happened every time. I even had a friend try it, just to make sure it wasn't some dumb ass thing I was doing wrong. I will do another cleaning and inspection, and if that doesn't sort it out, I will contact FN.

Thanks.

·
Registered
368 Posts
So first round of a full mag is the only time it will not go into full battery, and every round after is ok? Is it the same for all 3 magazines? What if you load say 15 rounds?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried 2 of the stock mags, plus two extended mags I purchased. Yes, it only does it with the first round. I know, to me it sounds like user error as well, but I can't figure out how. I haven't tried a partial mag yet.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When this malfunctions is it always the first shot ? Next question, I presume all mags are new as well ? If this is so it sound like the springs are stiff as new mags tend to be. Load all of your mags full and store for a week or so as to "break in" the sprigs. I bet this will fix the problem. You can also try not filling the mags to max capacity next time.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes, it is the first round chambered according to rrefx. FORGET the extended mags for now. My experiences with extended mags has been terrible. Field strip the pistol. Drop a round into the chamber of the barrel, does it drop right in? IF so, take a look at the ramp, and look at the extractor for signs of marring. What does the brass coming out after firing look like? Call FN customer service when you get a chance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts