FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up a FiveseveN tomorrow from my LGS and the owner gave me a little gift today when I paid for the gun. 596 pieces of brass! I'm a reloader so this is a huge gift/favor for me! I'm very excited and I've already bought 250 rds of SS197 today. I've shot this beast several times so I'm pretty familiar but I've not dissassembled one yet. All I need to do is find a good OWB holster and shoot like crazy! I already see myself with a matching PS90 in the future. This is my third FNH pistol so I'm accustomed to the high quality and great ergos. Frankly I'm just glad to be part of the "family". :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Welcome to the family and congratulations on a state-of-the-art pistol purchase; what a great gesture a free bag of 5.7 brass was. That stuff isn't exactly lying around everywhere -- unless I just finished shooting.. :x

·
Registered
465 Posts
Congrats Hulley!! You'll love it! And F1V3-53V3N....pick up your brass when finished! :wink:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to having some fun with my FiveseveN.

·
Administrator
11,048 Posts
I'm picking up a FiveseveN tomorrow from my LGS and the owner gave me a little gift today when I paid for the gun. 596 pieces of brass! I'm a reloader so this is a huge gift/favor for me! I'm very excited and I've already bought 250 rds of SS197 today. I've shot this beast several times so I'm pretty familiar but I've not dissassembled one yet. All I need to do is find a good OWB holster and shoot like crazy! I already see myself with a matching PS90 in the future. This is my third FNH pistol so I'm accustomed to the high quality and great ergos. Frankly I'm just glad to be part of the "family". :)
If you havn't yet, do lots of reading on reloading this cartridge. It is very UNFORGIVING and a .1gr overcharge can be disasterous. Powders are very finicky as well. Lots of people here to help in case you have questions. Save your brass. I have 5000+ empties that I am waiting for a LNL shell plate to reload. Need about 5000 more empties and they will eventually come. My local range saves all their 5.7 brass for me.:th_hmm3grin2orange:

·
Registered
524 Posts
If you havn't yet, do lots of reading on reloading this cartridge. It is very UNFORGIVING and a .1gr overcharge can be disasterous.
Could you expound on that comment? I have never heard of a .1gr overcharge being disastrous unless you are talking about overloading the round to such a point that .1gr is nearing a double charge.

My local range saves all their 5.7 brass for me.:th_hmm3grin2orange:
Lucky #@#[email protected]

·
Administrator
11,048 Posts
Could you expound on that comment? I have never heard of a .1gr overcharge being disastrous unless you are talking about overloading the round to such a point that .1gr is nearing a double charge.

What I mean is that once you have reached a max charge, just .1gr more can cause serious damage to your firearm. I do not mean that it will explode but you can damage some internals without realizing it which can make for a dangerous situation. Any load that is over max requires a thorough disassembly and inspection of the firearm. The problem is that some people reach the max +.1gr and don't realize it. A good example of this is a FTE properly in the PS90 or a stove pipe in the FiveseveN. While most people would not take this too seriously, seasoned reloaders understand that there are other consequences that have to be examined prior to further use of the firearm in question. The same applies with a shoulder separation, primer piercing or a multitude of other indicators. While this could just be a failure of the brass from overwork, it could also be due to an overpressure situation and requires examination.

A simple feeling of a stiffer "kick" than normal is usually a serious indicator that also has to be looked at. I have seen cracked butt plates in the PS90 from higher than normal loads with no other indicators of an overcharge.

While some of these "felt indicators" are normal in the use of various factory ammunition (which by the way is not infallable), an example being any noticable changes going from normal to +P+ ammo, for a reloader they are signs that have to be examined and understood.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts

It depends on the powder the loader with little or no experience has. .1gr. too many can indeed result in a catastrophic failure. Just ask RJ Herle, or... if you will... "Hurl". :th_sign0068::th_smiley_398:

·
Registered
524 Posts
What I mean is that once you have reached a max charge, just .1gr more can cause serious damage to your firearm. I do not mean that it will explode but you can damage some internals without realizing it which can make for a dangerous situation. Any load that is over max requires a thorough disassembly and inspection of the firearm. The problem is that some people reach the max +.1gr and don't realize it. A good example of this is a FTE properly in the PS90 or a stove pipe in the FiveseveN. While most people would not take this too seriously, seasoned reloaders understand that there are other consequences that have to be examined prior to further use of the firearm in question. The same applies with a shoulder separation, primer piercing or a multitude of other indicators. While this could just be a failure of the brass from overwork, it could also be due to an overpressure situation and requires examination.

A simple feeling of a stiffer "kick" than normal is usually a serious indicator that also has to be looked at. I have seen cracked butt plates in the PS90 from higher than normal loads with no other indicators of an overcharge.

While some of these "felt indicators" are normal in the use of various factory ammunition (which by the way is not infallable), an example being any noticable changes going from normal to +P+ ammo, for a reloader they are signs that have to be examined and understood.
Thanks for the further explanation. I guess theoretically any gun will suffer a spontaneous disassembly once a reloader goes .1gr over the KB limit, but the Five-seveN, being a mostly polymer gun operating at higher-than-average internal pressures, requires extra care because if it goes boom, it goes... BOOOM!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts