FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I just bought my first .308 which also happens to be a Scar 17s from Grabagun. I've been wanting one for 3 years now. With the gun scare a few years ago I really wasn't interested in picking one up for $3k plus, so I just waited for the right moment and scored one for only $2600 in FDE!

In preparation for a .308, I bought a Silencerco 762 suppressor about 3 months ago, still waiting on paperwork.

Now I'm looking at optics. I can't decide between an Elcan SpecterDR 1-4x or a TA11 w/RMR. It's a tough choice, is the Elcan really worth the $2300? I've been snooping around in here for a few days and haven't really come to any conclusion.

Looking forward to hanging out with you guys.

UPDATE!! Got a response today:

Mr. Mullins,

Glad to hear the sight arrived so quickly and you are happy with the service.
Yes, these ELCAN’s are new. Please understand that all of these sights have been mounted and tested at the factory prior to release so you would see some wear on the mounts. We even have a message on our website from the factory stating this.
http://www.nitevis.com/ELCAN_SpecterDR_DFOV14.htm
“ELCAN does not make a scope with a collector in mind. Every single scope that we sell goes through a battery of MIL performance tests and unfortunately sometimes this causes some dings that are touched up as best they can be prior to final acceptance. In addition, the materials that are used are not all uniform as they are selected based on material requirements and then need to be Class III hard anodized which is not the good looking anodize, but the hard surface that is nearly impossible to color match. We can only please those that need superior optical performance that meets MILSPEC environmental requirements."

This latest production run reduced these flaws significantly because there were a host of color differences and “touch ups” throughout the scope on their first attempt. This is why they previously only offered the commercial line in Black.
With that said, we certainly don’t want you to feel like you are stuck with something you don’t want so if you’d like to return it, we will gladly take it back, no questions asked.
Standing by. Please feel free to give me a call if you’d like to discuss this over the phone. Thanks

Ken Frank
KERIF Night Vision
(702) 324-6463

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your new 17s... :?

Have you considered a VCOG as an optic choice?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your new 17s... :?

Have you considered a VCOG as an optic choice?
Why...why.....why did you do that? ANOTHER option.....this is driving me crazy! :)

Ok question, how is the eye relief and cqb capability of the vcog?

·
Premium Member
9,491 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the SCAR!

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Why? It's what we do here, ask yourself, would you want it any other way? Of course you wouldn't and you'll get used to it! :mrgreen:

As for the VCOG, from everything written it's an alleged DOD request for an optic that affords CQB and "longer" range engagements using one optic. In theory it seems to fulfill that requirement. Personally, I haven't held one yet but I've high hopes it'll eventually adorn the twelve o'clock rail on my 16s.

Why...why.....why did you do that? ANOTHER option.....this is driving me crazy! :)

Ok question, how is the eye relief and cqb capability of the vcog?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Congrats on your 17!:?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Congrats on the SCAR purchase! The Elcan is superior to Trijicons ACOG IMHO. I have the 1-4, and I've owned several ACOGs. I still have a horseshoe dot 4x32 on an AR, but the Elcan beats it hands down in eye relief and accuracy. Low light, near dusk no comparison, the tritium is not that bright and it doesn't gather as much light, so its darker as well. The VCOG could be a game changer, but I've yet to look through one.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Welcome and congrats from NC!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats on the SCAR purchase! The Elcan is superior to Trijicons ACOG IMHO. I have the 1-4, and I've owned several ACOGs. I still have a horseshoe dot 4x32 on an AR, but the Elcan beats it hands down in eye relief and accuracy. Low light, near dusk no comparison, the tritium is not that bright and it doesn't gather as much light, so its darker as well. The VCOG could be a game changer, but I've yet to look through one.
Screw it. Just called Ken at KERIF and bought one. $1989.50 shipped (money order). Got the limited edition FDE one. Woot!

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Welcome!!! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ken's Response today. Great guy.

Mr. Mullins,

Glad to hear the sight arrived so quickly and you are happy with the service.
Yes, these ELCAN’s are new. Please understand that all of these sights have been mounted and tested at the factory prior to release so you would see some wear on the mounts. We even have a message on our website from the factory stating this.
ELCAN, SpecterDR, DFOV14-C1, DFOV14-T1, DFOV14-C2, DFOV14-T2, Dual, Field of View, 1X -4X, CQB Sight, 5.56, CX5395, 7.62, CX5396 Ballistic Reticle
“ELCAN does not make a scope with a collector in mind. Every single scope that we sell goes through a battery of MIL performance tests and unfortunately sometimes this causes some dings that are touched up as best they can be prior to final acceptance. In addition, the materials that are used are not all uniform as they are selected based on material requirements and then need to be Class III hard anodized which is not the good looking anodize, but the hard surface that is nearly impossible to color match. We can only please those that need superior optical performance that meets MILSPEC environmental requirements."

This latest production run reduced these flaws significantly because there were a host of color differences and “touch ups” throughout the scope on their first attempt. This is why they previously only offered the commercial line in Black.
With that said, we certainly don’t want you to feel like you are stuck with something you don’t want so if you’d like to return it, we will gladly take it back, no questions asked.
Standing by. Please feel free to give me a call if you’d like to discuss this over the phone. Thanks

Ken Frank
KERIF Night Vision
(702) 324-6463

1 - 20 of 22 Posts