FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an FN SLP MK1 a few months back for 3-gun competition and was extremely excited about the purchase. I only recently had the opportunity to shoot it. Unfortunately, I had difficulty getting it to eject rounds, particularly with lighter loads. I fired seven different loads; two 1 oz loads, four 1 1/8 oz loads, and one 1 1/4 oz load. It would not eject any of the 1 and 1 1/8 oz loads, and would only eject the 1 1/4 load about 3 out of 4 times.

I was about to send it to FN for repair and checked the FNH site. I found the updates on the pistons in the section where you can download the manuals, with a number of updates explaining how they went from two (light and heavy) pistons to one. Mine came only with the heavy piston. I reached out to FN to see if I could get the lighter piston, with very frustrating results. I set multiple emails (three times) to sales, service, an customer support with no reply. I spent two hours last weekend in a maze of telephone menus trying to find out if I could get it to shoot light loads. Finally I had a customer service guy tell me it wasn't made for light loads, with an attitude like "you should have known that". I left a message for his boss, but he never called back.

Since I got it though a store that got it from a distributor, I can't take it back. I was just about to take it to the gun show this morning to try to sell it (probably at a loss) when I found this forum. I have certainly gotten more help here than from FN, and an opportunity to vent. I will try the tricks mentioned in the forum; store with the bolt open, clean and lub compulsively and maybe even send the piston to SureCycle for modification.

Bottom line seems to be, unless you plan to shoot 3-inch turkey loads at your 3-gun match (and rattle our teeth), don't expect the FN SLP MK1 to shoot reliably right out of the box. Right now it is just a single shot with an 8 round capacity. I will repost if I get it to work.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Did you get the gold piston or the black one? SLP shotguns used to be shipped with the light piston (red) and black piston (heavy). But now they are shipped with a single gold piston. If you just have the heavy piston that is only used for firing 3" shells.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I had the same problem with lighter Winchester AA loads. Switched to Federal multi purpose load 1 1/8, 2 3/4 inch 7 1/2 shot shells and they run fine. I now get the 100 round value pack from Wally World. I run the light piston in mine and it did well at the only 3 gun I have used it in this year.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Sorry to hear about your difficulties with the gun and especially with FNUSA although stories like this seem a bit too common. You might have better luck having a FN dealer such as Stryker Enterprises ([email protected]) contact FN and see if he could obtain the light piston for you. He would likely have a direct contact rather than you going through first tier CS.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just bought the light pistol from Mid Way last month. The gun now runs I light ammo I have put throughout it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had exactly the same problem....inconsistent cycling with the 1 oz load. Sorry to say the FN is full of you know what. They said the single piston will handle all loads.
I had the piston sealed. That solved the problem and it now cycles perfectly with all loads. FN was no help when called. They continue to use the old manual and say you get 2 pistons. they said when that manual runs out, they will update. I love the gun....shoots well now, but am disappointed with the response from the company.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My SLP came with one gas valve, and would not cycle reliably with anything but very heavy loads. Not what I wanted.

After considerable farting around and hopes that the gun would 'break in', I finally shipped the valve (piston?) off to Sure Cycle who sealed it. With the sealed piston, my SLP runs like a fine sewing machine. Eats everything.

Get your valve sealed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
May I ask which piston you sent to Sure Cycle and what was the cost?

My SLP came with one gas valve, and would not cycle reliably with anything but very heavy loads. Not what I wanted.

After considerable farting around and hopes that the gun would 'break in', I finally shipped the valve (piston?) off to Sure Cycle who sealed it. With the sealed piston, my SLP runs like a fine sewing machine. Eats everything.

Get your valve sealed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I sent them my Browning gold piston, and kept my FN OEM piston in case I should ever want to shoot 3" loads (highly unlikely). The cost was about $50, and for my gun and my purpose (to shoot light loads) well worth it. Took about one week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts