FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my new FNP-40. Unfortunately there the sun was already setting by the time I made it to the range (plus it was my wife's birthday) so I only put about 25-30 rounds through it. Not much of a test, but it worked out of the box.

First impression - It worked (not that I doubted that it would). No problems, no malfunctions. Used all three magazines. Pretty happy with the trigger. Very controllable. I was using the steel silhouette targets they have at my range so wasn't really able to judge accuracy, but had no problem making a "ding" every time.

Overall impression is pretty good. The only thing I don't really like is the decocker seems a little cheap. Really doesn't seem to fit the rest of the gun. Also, when I load 10 rounds (max in CA) the magazine seems to need excess force to seat if I load it with the slide forward. 9 rounds was fine, slide back was fine.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
the magazine seems to need excess force to seat if I load it with the slide forward.
That's pretty common as you have the magazine spring applying a lot of pressure to that top round with the slide forward.

I have to agree with you on how the decocker looks, although it does the job. It tends to stick out a bit far for my liking and can get caught on a few things too.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, was able to get about 100 rounds through it today various types. No problems. It did develop the little ding under the "P" on the slide which I had previously read about. Sounds like that is pretty common and doesn't ever get worse. Any comments from someone who has had one longer?

It's as accurate as I am. I shot a 3 round group weak hand almost right on top of each other (fourth shot...not so good).:(

The other sort of interesting side note is that I got it at Bass and they had to order it (out of stock in both the store and warehouse) yet the test fire is dated December 2007. Does FN have a bunch sitting around?

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
I got mine at Bass Pro Shops as well. Paid $510 total out the door for mine and they also had the shooters pack there as well that I got for free :D . I do believe FN has a good supply just laying around waiting to be bought.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I've got about 800 rounds through mine and the slide dinging stopped after the first 150 rounds or so and hasn't continued. In the early days folks were able to complain and get a new slide (which also subsequently got dinged), but the last I heard FN now tells people it's a normal wear condition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts