FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an FNP-45 over the weekend (I'm going to the range in the morning) and I'm curious if it is possible to convert it so that I can carry it "Cocked and Locked" like my 1911? I really was not in the market for a new pistol, and I'm happy with my Wilson CQB, but I've been wanting something with more capacity.

I spoke with someone at the factory, and that individual said that an "FNP-45 USG" that can be carried "Cocked & Locked" should be hitting the market in the next few months. So back to the original question, can the one that I now have be converted? Anyone from FNH what to take this one, I really want to make this an on-duty, "Condition One," "Cocked and Locked" pistol.

I got my hands on a Taurus OSS 24/7 and I was very impressed with the grip diameter and the trigger pull, but it only held 12 rounds, and they are made in Brazil. Nothing wrong with that, but I try to purchase firearms that were manufactured in countries were the average citizen can purchase one (Nothing from China, Canada or the UK, although if you want to give me a Purdey side-by-side I probably wouldn't say no). Then the salesman (aka Crack Dealer) brought out the FNP-45, swapped out the arched backstrap for the flat one, and away I went with a new tool that was had at a decent price ($600.00), made in the USA, fit my hand perfectly, holds 14-rounds, and I think looks really cool.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I am not sure if anyone can answer that question yet. I think we'll have to wait for the USGs to hit the salesfloor, and then you can check with FN...

·
Registered
3 Posts
This was the reply I received:

RE: Question about Safety/Decocker, FNP-45‏
Sent: Wed 5/07/08 9:39 AM
To: ********************************

We are not offering an upgrade at this time. Maybe later!

Bob Ailes
Customer Support Manager
703-288-3500 ext. 122
[email protected]

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2008 11:06 AM
To: GL_FNHUSA_CustomerService
Subject: Question about Safety/Decocker, FNP-45

Sir or Ma'am,

I have just recently purchased several FN products, including an FNP-45.
My pistol is equipped with a decocker only, but I understand that the
more recent production of this model have decocker and safety
functionality in that lever. My question is, could my decocker-only
FNP-45 be upgraded to the newer specs? I would very much like to have
the functionality of a safety as well as the existing decocker.

I appreciate any help which FN can provide.

Thanks,

www.tngunowners.com

·
Registered
109 Posts
sure hope it becomes an upgrade option the receiver is relieved for it already.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From what I can see, after examining the internals... the upgrade would require a different lever and a different sear, but would be quite simple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been looking at the FN FNP 45. I love what I have read so far. Can someone tell me in plain English; Can I have a round in the chamber, loaded mag in the gun, hammer back and a saftey on? I have read where people say it is a DA/SA or you can use it as a SAO, Cocked and Locked/ like I carry my 1911 (how do you carry it?). I'm not sure if they are useing the terms (DA/SA, SAO in the same way I am. So tell me in plane English please, dose having the saftey on make the hammer fall forward? I'm not new to the gun world but I have read where some people say one thing and others say no its this way, just put it in plane text. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I just got my FNP-45 so I'm no expert, but if it is cocked it is ready to fire unlocked. The only things I see on the frame are the takedown lever, the slide release, the mag release, and the decocker; no frame safety. So if you carry DA/SA with one in the chamber it should have the hammer lowered via the decocker, unless you want to carry with a hot 4-5 lb. SA trigger. Also, I do not see anything in the manual that provides for a 1911-style Condition 1 cocked-and-locked mode.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts