FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...
New member here, and new FNP owner. Took it out for a test drive yesterday and was both pleased and disappointed. Pistol felt very good in hands, controllability was great for such a large caliber, no feeding problems whatsoever.. Now for the issues..
I keep reading about the "round in chamber" indicator. My FNP has no such indicator. It extracts rounds just fine, but it does not "protrude" and is not showing red when round is chambered.. Second issue.. At 25 yds, my grouping was a dismal 6" with 5 shots, and of course this could be mostly me as I am not used to the pistol. But I was sitting and using a two handed grip on a sandbag, using Winchester 240 gr FMJ rounds. I would have expected no more than a 3" group of five at that distance. But the BIG problem was that it shot 10" low.. That is a problem. Since it has fixed sights, not much I can do about it, but was wondering if maybe the factory can re-install sights to get it tuned in a bit better?? Maybe someone knows of some aftermarket adjustable sights for the FNP?
I left an email with the service reps, no word back yet.
Lastly, I retrieved 6 bullets from the sand backdrop and the bullets were completely intact, no deformity at all. The weird thing was that rifling grooves were only evident on one side of the bullet, and only covering about 1/4 of the bullet... I have shot for 30 yrs and have never seen a bullet that didnt have rifling groves pretty deep and uniform around the bullet.. I can see where this could definetely be part of the accuracy problem (except for the low shooting)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Christof

·
Registered
64 Posts
christof60 i noticed this problem too... but, having said that it could be a result of the backstrap you are using. havent target shot with the flat backstrap yet, but i was able to hit soda cans etc at 20 yds no problem. but with the curved strap while target shooting, i shot terribly and was incredibly inconsistent. first shot i took was directly through the 10 hole at 15 yds, but then i fell apart. not sure what the deal is since i havent shot it again since switching back to the flat strap. just my 2 cents; probably just me.

also i have recovered some of the wwb fmj bullets the first time i went shooting and i think the rifling was uniform around the bullets

·
Registered
38 Posts
my 40 was shooting a bit low, swap and clean out the bore a couple of times..soot, swab..shoot swab..after about 300 rounds it was getting better groups.

Accuracy is still not that hot, but it could just be me. A bit out of practice..if firgure ill let a pro try the gun when i get to the range next and see what they think.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Call Bob at FN. I've heard people waiting for weeks before they get a e-mail response.

I called yesterday, left a message, and he called me back within 1 hour.

Bob Ailes Direct #
1 703 288 1292 Ext. 122

He probably won't trouble shoot with you though, he'll just want you to send it back. That way they can decide the exact problem at the factory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll give them a call....

They seem to have great customer service from what I've been told..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts