FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First trip to the range.Very impressed.Shot 2.0 inch groups off sandbags at 25....Was amazed at the light recoil and smooth cycling.Shot all handloads 5.8 unique under 230 grain Rainier bullets.No malfunctions thru 200 rounds.Was $507.00 with free shipping from Impact Guns.I have several HK`s and am partial to them but this FN rocks very nicely.I also have a 5.7.....also have Fn tactical shotgun...I used the arched backstrap as my hands are pretty good sized..glad i added it to my collection.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Thanks for the report!

Was that at 25 ft. or 25 yds.?

Either way 2" groups are great.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fnp 45

25 yards..sorry..the way i shoot 25 feet would not have been any better...next week it will be 4-5 inch groups... :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fn 45

it took about a week and a half...i think it came from their utah store....actually shipping was on friday and it got delivered next thursday...it took a few days for them to send it out...also the store it came from doesnt provide a constant tracking...just when it shipped and when it was delivered...i ordered it 4-5 days before it shipped

·
Registered
173 Posts
OK, Thanks. I ordered an FNP-9 that was "in stock" and they haven't received it from their distributor yet. I just wanted to see if you had similar time. Your 45 seems to have shipped quicker than mine. Oh well, hopefully they will get it tomorrow and ship it out.

I wish I had a local dealer that stocked FN handguns. I would love to see the .45 in person to see how it fits my hands. It sounds like quite the accurate shooter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FN 45

you know i made it sound like i was a great shot off the bat but it took a couple mags to get the sight picture down. the rear sight is wide and centering it took a few rounds to figure out. plus my eyes are not what they used to be.once i relaxed and did my part it dropped one on top of the other pretty well..i hate to beat dead horse as in my earlier post but i still am very impressed with the smooth recoil...granted this is not a small gun but not as massive as i read it was....the slide is wide and maybe the weight makes it feel so smooth...i am not an expert by any means but i do own around 40 handguns and my initial impression is very positve. it does not have that snappy recoil that some of my others have.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think the poymer .45s are built for low recoil. I had a GLOCK 21 that was very soft to shoot compared to the others. I've heard a 1911 shooter describe the gun popping up when he shot. Never had that problem with the GLOCK. I think they must add a lot of mass to the slide to get that those polymers to shoot softer. Plus, most .45 ammo is slower at around 900 ft/sec.

I will say that even with DoubleTap ammo, it wasn't too bad. Plus I liked the fire that shot out of the barrel and ejection port. I am starting to miss having a .45 now that everyone is talking about the FNP-45.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fn 45

well if you get one i will be curious to your feedback. i mostly shoot HK`s and while they are very accurate most of them are compacts. my full size tactical 45 is pretty smooth but something is different with this FN..oh well..next week i am going to try some factory loads and see whats up..have some cor-bons, aquila,golden sabre and will try them out.being left handed i am also trying to find a holster..galco list them so i may try one of those...blade-tech i hear will make them also...best of luck to you...report back if you snag one...thanx

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Thanks for the review. Interesting you got it from impact guns. I've been to the local impact stores here a few times. While the prices and selection are pretty good, the staff are all egotistical know-it-all types who seem to talk down to everybody. For example, I went in and asked them about the availability of the FNP45 right before it was released and instead of actually telling me the status, they were asking why in the world I would want such an overbuilt weapon with an ugly gigantic slide. They were telling me it was so huge it was like a high-point. Not to be judgmental, but the staff all looked like gang bangers (just my experience). I decided to pay 10 dollars more for my FNP 40 and buy it at the more reputable and friendly FN dealer.

At least you don't have to deal with that for online transactions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
good move. you are wright you know...impact gun stores and most of thier employees are total a#*(&)^#@"s the best thing to do is tell someone what they are when you can. i do and i sleep better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts