FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm not technically an owner yet. My FNP has been ordered, it should be here in about a week.

I went to my local shop/range looking for a S&W M&P. I rented one and did not like it at all. I am lucky enough to shoot at a range who's staff is very knowledgeable about the FNP's. I fell in love with the FNP-9 the moment I picked it up. They even had a FNP-9 as a rental option which made my purchase decision very easy.

I placed an order for a Black on Black FNP-9 USG ($500+tax). That seems to be a pretty good price for the USG based on what I have seen in this and other forums.

I have been lurking in this forum for about a week, and have enjoyed reading all the glowing reviews of this firearm. This will be my 2nd gun purchase, but really the first handgun I would feel comfortable defending my family with.

Thanks, I look forward to learning more from this community.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well after reading all the fun you guys are having with your FNP's I decided that I couldn't wait any longer and bought non-USG FNP-9 Black on Black that a local dealer had in stock. I am pretty new to shooting and I was worried that the safety on the USG version might get in the way during a defensive encounter.

The non-USG that I bought was brand new but it has a test firing date of 11/06. I was disappointed to see that it is a model with the notch in the FCG. I'm kicking myself for not looking for that before I purchased it. I know that this hasn't been sitting on the dealer's shelves because they were out of stock on these a week ago when I called. Is it common for a gun to have a born on date several years earlier than when it hits store shelves or did I get unlucky here?

Anyway I am looking forward to taking the FNP on its maiden voyage this week.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I'm surprised the test date was that long ago and it just got picked up/shipped. Mine had about a 4-6 month period after it was test fired till when it was picked up.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It's funny how that works. My Brand new FNP-40 has a test fire date in 6/07, and I just purchased it about a month ago. These different dates may have something to do with the way they are distributed, i.e, they sit in a distributor's warehouse for a while. However, it might be like the situation with a Beretta 96D I used to have: the barrel was proofed a couple of years before the assembled pistol was sold. I wrote JB Wood and asked him, and he said that Beretta does barrels in batches -- meaning they pick up a barrel of the rack when needed, and it may be a couple of years before they use up the supply of that proof mark. Don't know if this is a similar situation but you never know. :?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was glad to find this topic. I bought a new FNP-9 a few weeks ago and was also disappointed to look and find it was test-fired back in June 2006. I am glad to hear that I am not alone. I am not disappointed in the quality of the gun, I was just surprised, like Scott314, that a gun that came into the shop a day before I bought it was test-fired almost three years ago.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The FNP40 I bought was test fired just about a year before I got it back in December, and that was from Bass Pro and they didn't have any in their warehouse (which I assume is large). I figured I would get one fresh from the factory, but I guess 1 year is pretty fresh.

Strange

1 - 9 of 9 Posts