FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an FMP 9 from my LGS for $460 out the door. The price was better than Bass Pro, I also like supporting my LGS over the big box stores and as an added bonus they gave me 6 hours of free range time. can't beat that.

I'm fairly new to hand gun ownership in the past I mostly owned rifles but I purchased a S&W M&P .40 for home defense and after learning how much fun they are to shoot I'm now well on my way to a very nice collection of hand guns. That being said I have noticed several things with my FNP 9 that I'm not sure if they are normal as I have not had similar isssues with my M&P's 1.) I have the black melonite coating but I have noticed several shinny bright metal spots showing up. 2.) when I shoot a mag empty the slide locks back but when I insert a new full mag I have to manually close the slide and it doesn't seem to want to close home easily. On the M&P's the slide close when I insert a new mag. Is this normal for the FNP? Also yesterday I noticed that the rear push pin was about 1/2 way out this was after going shooting several days ago. I was able to push it back in but I'm concerned what would happen if it backed out while shooting.

Are these just minor issues or should I be concerned? As I said the only other hand guns I can compare this to are a Browning Buckmark .22 and the S&W M&P's. Other than these issues I love the way the gun feels and shoots so much that I'm thinking of getting the .45 in SS and perhaps a SS 9mm to add to the collection.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
First off, your hand gun's slide is not supposed to close automatically when inserting a mag. It should only close when you push the slide release button, or pull gently back on the slide allowing the slide catch to drop. I would take a closer look to see if your M&P 40 is malfunctioning as this is not typical behavior for most semi-auto handguns.

You'll need to post a picture of the shiny area's of the melonite finish or describe more fully where you are seeing them. Many FNP's have wear under the "P" on your slide where the take down lever can make contact with the slide during recoil.

Be more specific about the push pin. Is this the pin holding in your fire control group assembly? If it is and it is coming loose you may have an issue.

·
Registered
249 Posts
+1 on what B52 said.

Very few handguns automaticly realease the slide when your insert a new mag.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. The shinny spots that I'm seeing are as mentioned under the P, on the inside tip of barrel 1 side and the ejector. Also when I pulled the slide off for cleaning I noticed that underside (I'm not sure what the part is called) but it's the area that houses the striker seems to have some wear on it and what appears to be brass shavings like it's rubbing across the top of the next round in the magazine.

As for the push pin I believe that it is the back one for the fire control. Perhaps I need to contact FN for repair info.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Yep, if your pin keeps coming loose, I would recommend sending it for repair. You might end up getting a better FCG out of it as they have been replacing most faulty FCG's with a newer design with a thicker polymer wall (without the notch on the right side).

Some of the wear you describe sounds pretty normal. If the underside 'P' scratch is bothering you I have heard of a few people sending their's in and FN replaced their slide, but it seems to be inherent in the design and may reoccur on the new slide.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again thanks for the reply I'll keep an eye on the pin and if it pops out again I'll contact FN. Quick question how hard id it to ship a hand gun back to the manufacturer? Do I have to have a LGS send and receive it for me or can the ship it to my home?

This is my first FN and I really like the gun but just want to make sure it working correctly and I only have the M&P & the SS Buckmark to compare it to.

As for the slide closing by it self when a I empty a mag and do a quick mag change I assumed that this was done for LE purpose as in a gunfight not having to either pull the slide back or release the slide release. Either way I'll contact S&W on that issue.

Thanks again for all the help from a newer hand gun shooter.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Typically FNH will send a call tag and UPS will pick it up from you. Shipments of firearms to manufacturers for repair do not need to be handled by an FFL holder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts