FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an FNP 9 in December and i wanted to make a post regarding my first range trip. After purchasing my gun I cleaned and Lubricated it before going to the shooting range. My first trip I fired 250 rounds of Remington UMC 115gr and 50 rounds of the Hornady Critical Defense 115gr. Throughout my entire first range expirience I probably had an overall of 15-20 failures. After shooting i wasnt really worried because i had read on this forum that some guns needed a break-in due to their stiff recoil springs. So i went to the range again four days after my first trip and fired an additional 100 rounds of magtech 115gr, 100 rounds of federal red box 115gr, and 50 more additional Hornady Critical Defense(got expensive). Within the first 2 magazines of magtech i had two FTFs. The rest of the range trip got much better. I fired 230 more rounds with zero issues. Following that range trip i have gone to the range at least once a week and I know have had an additional 1,250 rounds throught my gun with zero failures. Roughly each range trip i fired around 200 rounds of Federal 115 grain ammo. So i make this post for new fnp owners who get dissapointed for their first 200 rounds thru their gun. It gets much better. This gun is amazingly reliable, accurate, and fun to shoot. :smile:

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Yup, they just need a little breaking in on some of them :?

Good to hear it's running like mine run

·
Registered
43 Posts
yup, some of them, mine is the exception and has fired perfect from first round. i'm glad your break in period is over and you can trust it now. i ccw mine all the time just due to it being so light. mine is the OD USG. did take the dremel blade to the left side decocker/safety since i kept pushing down on it while firing making it auto decock, did a good job, looks like that's how it was supposed to come and can easily decock with right trigger finger if necessary.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thread drift....Isn't the shooting grip much better with the decock lever out of the way? I wanted to park the gun until I removed the lever and now I love it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
when i first got my 40 i put 250 rounds of reloads through it and never had a problem. I've put close to 800 rounds through mine and no problems at all. Reloads, steel cases and some good ammo. Sometimes it just happens to be the gun you get too. I guess i have been very fortunate with my purchase. Oh yeah i love it too

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick questions for firearm veterans and experts. I'm a first-time owner of a handgun with the FNP-9 as my first gun. I've experienced all the FTE, FTF issues since owning this handgun and I'm experiencing less malfunctions at ~450 rounds so far. I take heart and looking forward to the day that my gun will perform reliably as the majority of FNP-9 owners. That being said, my question is should modern handguns be expected to perform better brand new out of the box and require less of a break-in period? I would think that modern manufacturing processes provide much tighter tolerances and produce more reliable products. Are there firearm manufacturers that produce products with such stringent quality control that they do not require break-in periods?

Sorry for such novice questions. I am trying to educate myself in this new hobby. Thanks for all your input in advance.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Some pistols of almost every make will have a break in period. Mine did not need one.

Glocks generally don't need break in periods, not sure about SIG P226/229 series (haven't really heard about them needing any). My SIG P238 that I got rid of was horrendous during the first 200 rounds (93% failure with one brand of ammo)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts