FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new FNP-9M yesterday, cleaned/oiled and took it to the range today. It jammed every 2-3 cartridges without fail for the first 30 rounds or so. If I used +P or +P+ there was no issue at all so it seemed to be related to insufficient recoil??? The cartridges were remington umc, the jam would either be a failure to discharge the casing or the casing lip would catch while being loaded into the barrel. After I fired another 20 rounds or so the jamming quit and I was able to put another 30 through it without any problems.

So my question is, is this be normal? The rangemaster said that it was just "new gun breakin". I guess I had very high expectations after feeding ~500 rounds through my full size FNP-9 without a single problem from day one. I'll keep shooting it and hopefully the problem is resolved, as i'm planning on using this 9m as a CCH.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I tend to agree with your rangemaster. New gun break in. Sounds as if the worst is probably over. Another hundred rounds and it will most likely be fine. I have shot 450 rounds through my full size without a hitch. Maybe the M has a break in period. What made you go with the M over the full size? Hardly a noticeable difference between the two other than the M holds one less round.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
ON another site - I saw someone recommend a fix for this, and it seemed to help for them.

Leave the slide pulled back for about 2 weeks, to help break in the recoil spring. It seems that they are almost too powerful when brand new (close the slide too fast).

Then, in 2 weeks, go try shooting it again.

Like I said, this was someone els'e sadvice who owned one, and this solved the problem for the guy he was trying to help... Give it a shot.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lastmanstanding said:
I tend to agree with your rangemaster. New gun break in. Sounds as if the worst is probably over. Another hundred rounds and it will most likely be fine. I have shot 450 rounds through my full size without a hitch. Maybe the M has a break in period. What made you go with the M over the full size? Hardly a noticeable difference between the two other than the M holds one less round.
I plan on using the M as a concealed carry, the full size will be kept in my house. I like that they are very similar...means i really only need to learn to shoot 1 gun well :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Does the M use a different magazine? Also, are they comparable in price.?
Thank you.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Didn't see this until, don't know if it's still relevant. I have the -M, I never had any malfunction issues with it. I had heard of the recoil setup being too strong, and for a couple hundred rounds (though not the first few hundred oddly), the slide would fail to lock back. At some point, this went away. I've never had any consistent issues with the pistol, though a friend of mine did manage to get it to double feed once....or stove pipe, I didn't really see it, he just mentioned it. Never in my own hands has the pistol choked with the exeption of the test I ran on it, which the results were posted in my thread.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put another ~100 rounds down range with my FPN 9M this evening. I started off with 15 rounds of Cor-Bon +P totally without a hitch and then another 90 or so rounds of remington UMC cheap stuff...I'm happy to report, not a single problem! :shock: (although I did manage to get an FTE on my FNP 9 which was the first failure in ~500 rounds...limp wristed the shot). I'm still quite happy w/ my FNP 9 purchases. :cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use a .40 cal version of the FNP. When it was fresh out of the box it failed to lock the slide back when using some PMC fodder. Didn't do that with full power self defence ammunition. That problem only occurred with the first 50 rounds of PMC rounds. Since that point in time, about 3 years ago there have been no malfunctions at all. I have tried more of the same PMC ammunition recently to see if it would fail. Ran like a champ.

I would say that the problem is related to the initial strength of the recoil spring and the fact that the PMC rounds are rather weak. UMC rounds are not much better. They are good for plinking or punching paper.

Any persons that have a problem with brand new FNP should give it a hundred rounds for a break in period. After that period of time one shouldn't have any problems. FNP's are pretty good machines IMO.

Enjoy your pistols and always observe the 4 RULES of firearm safety. :grin:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ran across a failure to lock the slide back after the last round was spent two times in a row last week. I have put about 1,000 rounds through my FN-9 since purchased last Fall. I have been using Winchester FMJ 115 and 124.

It really surprised me since the gun has operated flawlessly. I was finishing up the last 30 rounds of a 100 round session. I was loading 10 rounds at a time, and at round 80 and round 90, the slide failed to lock. On round 100, it locked just fine. Bad box of ammo maybe?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Frankly, I would not make this into a big deal. Remember, we are dealing with mechanical things (DUH!)
IMHO, how the gun operates with your carry or defense ammo is what counts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, I think I've figured out my slide's failure to lock problem. It may have been a failure to keep my fat thumb off of the slide during recoil.

I put another 100 rounds through the FN-9 last night and the slide was failing to lock once again. I also noticed that my accuracy was a little off, and when I focused more on my grip, that's when I realized my thumb was riding a little higher than normal and resting against the slide. Once I adjusted my grip, no more failure to lock problem.

So Doc, you made a good point. Only this time it was the "human" mechanical device that malfunctioned. :-D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update - just put another 100+ rounds through the FNP-9M tonight without a hitch. It appears my problems were related to new gun breakin. Not a single jam since the first day I had it out!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a few failures to eject & feed with my first box of 100 Wally World 9's.
Someone suggested I lock the slide back for 3 days & It's been flawless the last 500 rounds. The FNP9 is one of the finest pistols I've owned.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
2rott said:
Someone suggested I lock the slide back for 3 days & It's been flawless the last 500 rounds. The FNP9 is one of the finest pistols I've owned.
Yea, I had been suggesting that to some FNP owners in the past too...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
frizzlefry said:
Update - just put another 100+ rounds through the FNP-9M tonight without a hitch. It appears my problems were related to new gun breakin. Not a single jam since the first day I had it out!
a year and a half later and not a single jam! :shock: 8)

·
Registered
1 Posts
FNP-9 Jammed

Fellow FNP-9 owners...a little help please

I purchased an FNP-9 a few months back - it works great and shot really accurate until this past weekend ---

-- I have been using both wolf and rem UMC - both work great. This weekend, the slide jammed half-way opened; attempted several times to clear the round (or spent casing) from the firearm. It is locked in the slide / barrel. At this point, contacted FNP service - before we can ship it back to the factory, we need to visit a gun smith to have the casting/round removed from the FNP9.

- Has anyone expereince a serious jammed which could not be cleared???

thanks for your help and advice.

ps: checked with AMMOMAN.com - he confirmed that the wolf ammo conforms to SAAMI specs....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts