FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ifinally had a chance to bring it out on the range this past weekend.

I went through 100 rounds in no time. No FTE or FTF issues. Idid have a couple of brass hit me on the head and face, but it looks like that's pretty common from what I read here in the forum. I found it comfortable and easy to shoot.

What I'm not too happy about is it swithches to DA mode out of nowhere. I know it's a DA/SA pistol. All I know is that once I rack the slide it is in SA mode and should stay that way until I finish up the clip. At least that's what I'm used to with my other pistols. It's not such a big deal, but is that normal?

Little paranoid because I bought this used - in "unfired" condition.

Thanks,
Mac

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
That shouldn't happen - it should stay in SA until you decock it - It could be that you are accidentally hitting the decocker with your thumb during the recoil cycle.

I've seen numerous posters over the years complaining that their slide won't stay open. Despite their claim to the contrary - it turnes out that some were actually hitting the slide release while shooting the gun. Once they paid attention to it - it turned out this was the case.

However, it is possible that the gun is malfunctioning as well. Check it out next time and try to pay close attention to it and let us know.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Ship means "SA until you decock it"

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
ShipWreck said:
djv38 said:
Ship means "SA until you decock it"
Yes, just fixed it - sorry. a Typo :?
You still left the first "c" out of decock though :?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The slide hangs back and stays open once I fire my last round. No problem there. The problem is it happens randomly like on the 7th or 8th round.

I'll pay attention next time I'm out at the range. I was trying different grip methods so there could be a good possiblity that I might have brushed on it.

I will let you know.

Thanks,
Mac

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally had a chance to have a second outing with the FNP-9. I went through 150 rounds. 50 CCI BIazer Brass and 100 Remington UMC 115gr.

I went through the CCI BB with no issues. I was playing around with a tighter high grip and improved the "low and to the left" problem that I was having. It stayed in SA mode all through out this time. I think I was brushing on the decocker last time. That's probably why it kept on going on DA mode.

I ran out of the CCI BB and fed the Remington UMCs. I was amazed how it was more accurate than the CCI. It's either that or (a) I'm beginning to be a better shot with it or (b) the pistol is almost through its break in. I did had a couple of nasty jams between the ramp and the barrel with the UMCs. I had a hard time ejecting the magazine as well. At one point, I was worried that it was completely stuck. It did this about two or three times out of the 100 UMC rounds I put through. After fixing from the last jam, it was perfectly fine. I hope nothing is broken. I will inspect this evening.

Overall, it was a lot of fun. I even went beyond the 7 yard mark and was able to tag the bull's eye a couple of times at 15 yards. I get braver as I go along, I guess. I was very impressed. Hopefully these little kinks are nothing to worry about.

Any suggestions of what I need to check would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mac

·
Registered
229 Posts
Never tried the Rem ammo. Out of around 2000rds thru FNP9 and 1500 thru FNP9M, most have been Winchester white box, few boxes of Blazers and rest jhps. Not the first bobble. Might want to try the WWB or stick w/Blazer?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts