FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I found the group while searching for a solution to an issue I'm having with my FNS. So far I haven't been able to find a similar issue posted...

Basically my slide keeps catching the slide release as if the mag was empty while firing and just staying open. It does it with all three of my mags, normally about twice per mag. Is this a common issue or is there a known trick to fix it?

I've put roughly 300 rounds through it at this point. Always clean and lube it after a trip to the range. This is my first FN... Won it in a Shriners raffle for $20

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
In most cases, the shooter is inadvertently pushing up on it during recoil. If you stick a loaded mag into the gun, does it push up on the slide stop lever at all?

Another possibility is that the spring that goes over the slide stop is not where it should be and that under recoil the slide stop can pop up catching the slide. I've only heard of that happening after someone disassembled the gun and didn't quite get it back together right.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
My FNS .40 long slide did it once about two weeks ago the last time I shot it. I'm wondering if I inadvertently pushed up on the slide release. I don't know. I shot 300 rounds that day. A friend of mine had his Glock 19 do it 3 times in the same day. I throw that in because it's strange...for the moment I'll be watching for it, and will examine the pistol a bit carefully. I chalked it up to user error...but it's interesting this happened to you. I don't know when the next time is I'll shoot, but will post if it occurs again. Thanks for posting it. I'm guessing I've got about 1800 rounds thru it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thumbs bumping the slide release was my first assumption so I've tried to be very cautious of it and at least feel it I bump it. So far, nothing. Still not ruling it out completely but I had a friend shoot it with the same results. I want to give it the benefit of a doubt cause I really like the gun itself. I use this gun as my "nightstand" piece so not having 100% confidence in it bothers me.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
is there a spring/wire going on top of the slide stop (should be on the left hand side, muzzle end of the frame facing away from you)

Reactions: Canyon Man

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Thanks djv38...I just checked and yes, my spring is there and seems to be working perfectly. This is something I'll be monitoring. But it's only happened once for me, so I'll just see if it happens again. Then I'll cross that bridge...but I'm getting really good performance out of it thus far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update...

I went to the range today and showed the problem to the owner (also a gunsmith). He immediately said its probably my slide release spring. While I went and shot one of my other guns, he tinkered with the FNS. He brought it out to me a few minutes later and I put about 150 rounds through it with only 1 hangup and that was after 9 mags. Went through another 4 mags or so after that without a flaw so I'll chalk that one up to random chance. Range owner said to keep an eye on it. If it does it anymore we'll see if he can adjust the spring any more and if not I'll need a new one.

Thanks for the suggestions! I really love this gun so I couldn't be happier that its worked out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts