FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new fns-9. Hoping to get out to break her in today. Will follow up with a short review and report on her later. :arrow:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok took her out and ran some rounds through it. Shot 250 rounds of 5 different types of ammo. No failures at all so far.

The grip is like a glock gen 4 on roids. It'll leave a lil imprint on bare hands but no actual damage. I've only tried the curved backstrap so far, but once you get a good grip it does not move around much. Recoil impulse is soft even with the 124 grn. Has more of a torquing movement than up and down. Might be because of the higher rate recoil spring. I would say recoil is right around a gen 4 G19.

I dry fired ten times, cleaned and lubed her. This was the only prep involved. Shot a box of federal 124 grn. and blazer 124 grn. first. Then ran federal 115 grn, blazer 115 grn, and finished it off with a box of monarch 115 grn steel case. The monarch would not run in my m&p 9c so it was refreshing to see the Fns-9 run it laughing! I did not run any defensive loads yet.

I am impressed with this pistol. It is by far the nicest polymer 9mm I have shot so far. I have shot a hk p30, G19 gen4, M&P 9c, Taurus 24/7 g2, walther pps. Obviously these are different style pistols but just wanted to give reference of my opinion. I like the trigger a lot, put a lil lube behind the slide lock and shot it. Trigger is already losing grit. Can see why everyone with 1k plus rounds on it says how much it improves. The trigger has a nice pretravel and clean break. The reset is also short and defined. I do not think the reset is better than my g19 was with a ghost trigger but I like it. Definitely better than my m&p, which was of the new improved triggers. My favorite polymer trigger by far.

The sights are very nice for stock sights. I have the night sight model. I like the big front dot and the contrast between the rear sight. Not a huge fan of the poa to poi. I am simply not used to placing your dot over the bullseye. This will take time lol. I also wish they would have placed a ledge on the rear sight for manipulations. This pistol is too big to worry about low drag sights. Still even considering my cons, they are the best sights I've seen on a factory polymer.

The ambi controls are nice. Safety is easy on and off. I never accidentally engaged it. I never had a safety polymer before. But my Shield came with it so I use it. I ordered the fns with a safety so my striker guns would have the same set up. These will be my carry guns and I will carry safety on. So training with them the same only made sense, build muscle memory for it. The slide lock is nice. I do not like using the slide lock to release the slide so not having it as a slide release is no biggie. I was hesitant on the mag release. My concerns of accidentally dropping a mag were pointless. Works perfectly and mags drop with authority. Mags are durable and well made.

Imho this is a giant WIN in the wonder 9 market. I am excited for more trigger time behind her, but so far very happy. I love the fact that it's made in the U.S.A. This is over engineered striker fired pistol. I am happy with this. A lot of reviews knock the complexity of the trigger system because it's not glock simplicity. The HK is a over engineered pistol, it's not a tinker toy. But they simply run out of the box every time. I bought this pistol to use this pistol. I am not going to play with the springs, trigger weights, or changing the trigger. I am going to put ammo in it and run the snout out of it. Pics will follow shortly.

·
Premium Member
9,490 Posts
Glad to hear you're happy! It is a great pistol.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Great Write up. Sorry about that snow (South Texas, don't see that very much). I have a question. I am a relatively new to firearms. Have had my CHL for a year now and have about 24 hours of range time. I carry a ruger SR40C and though i am becoming very comfortable with it. I want a more midsized firearm. FNS & FNX are at the top of my wishlist. and though i find Glocks strange when i hold them, they have their pluses. one thing i haven't made my mind up yet is do i want a manual safety or not. I can see both sides of that debate. For that reason the FNX seems to have the edge right now. I have read their are some people who switch from Glocks to FN's or M&P's. I shot a Glock once a friends G19 (gen2.5) is was ok, but i felt my Ruger shot better (Not that it was better, just shot better for me). let me wrap this up. If you have regularly carried and shot some other firearm, how does the FNS measure up so far.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great Write up. Sorry about that snow (South Texas, don't see that very much). I have a question. I am a relatively new to firearms. Have had my CHL for a year now and have about 24 hours of range time. I carry a ruger SR40C and though i am becoming very comfortable with it. I want a more midsized firearm. FNS & FNX are at the top of my wishlist. and though i find Glocks strange when i hold them, they have their pluses. one thing i haven't made my mind up yet is do i want a manual safety or not. I can see both sides of that debate. For that reason the FNX seems to have the edge right now. I have read their are some people who switch from Glocks to FN's or M&P's. I shot a Glock once a friends G19 (gen2.5) is was ok, but i felt my Ruger shot better (Not that it was better, just shot better for me). let me wrap this up. If you have regularly carried and shot some other firearm, how does the FNS measure up so far.
I have carried a lot of different pistols. For concealed carry the fns is pretty big. The advantage the g19 had was in the grip. It was small enough to conceal yet big enough to get a full grip. The fns is a lightweight firearm. With the right iwb holster and proper cover garment you could definitely conceal it. It will be more work than your ruger. But it is a better fighting pistol than the ruger. You will get better accuracy and a better trigger out of the fns. It's designed to be a pistol to go to war with. Not knocking the ruger at all, just ruger did not design them for military use. I will still primarily carry my m&p shield. It is slim and small, but it is still a viable to fight with. I mainly bought the fns for home defense and a range pistol. I also open carry when I go into the backwoods. I much prefer having a full size gun for pest control. I believe that a da/sa gun is one of the best for a newer shooter and also for police/military work. The da first shot is always ready and extremely safe. No safety to worry about, just pull and shoot. Then you have the sa shot for accuracy and follow up shots. I looked into the fnx but wanted to try the striker version. Next pistol will be a da/sa gun for sure.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Snuck out back to the range. Got 100 more rounds through her. Wwb 100 box. So far 100% reliable with 6 different kinds of ammo. Only clean and lube was before I started shooting it. Gun continues to impress. Trigger is cleaning up quite nicely with only 350 rounds down range.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I've been searching the world over for an fns with a safety. Any tips you can give me on where to find one. I've got the .40 fns without a safety. I want an all black one with a safety, and a 9mm all black with a safety too.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Oh gees lol, I didn't specify the long slide version ...I was so excited. I don't think they've released the long slides with safeties yet. I've considered buying a 4 inch barrel and swapping out the lowers, but I'm not sure it's worth the expense. The safety isn't a must, I can appreciate the non safety version too. I think I'll hold out for the long slide. I'd like to put the stainless barrel in the black, and the black barrel in the stainless. I think it would look great ! But I appreciate the guidance either way !

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh man!! Yeah I dont think they have a longslide with the safety. Thats what I was wanting also! After shooting mine I bet the longslide is ridiculously accurate and soft shooting!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh man!! Yeah I dont think they have a longslide with the safety. Thats what I was wanting also! After shooting mine I bet the longslide is ridiculously accurate and soft shooting!
It really is, the FNS9L is on of the best shooting guns I've ever owned.

·
Registered
519 Posts
If you can't find the FNS without a safety, you can run the safety version without it engaged with no loss of functionality.
As far as the Glocks. I agree. Even though I have to carry one every day at work, I wouldn't buy one for the same reason. It just feels strange. The grip just doesn't work for me.
If you're considering an FNX for the reason you mentioned above, remember that with the hammer down, the first shot has a long DA pull. It's not bad at all, but takes some getting used to if you're normally a striker-guy.
As for your last question: The only reason I carry my Sig 1911 Scorpion for my EDC CCW (even though the frame is larger) is that with my skinny build, a single stack conceals better than any double-stack.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts