FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new FNS 9c from my FFL (only a $15 charge BTW), and I am in love with this pistol thus far with one caveat. The magazine release is the worst I've ever used FOR MY HANDS. I'm stressing that last part because I truly believe if my thumbs were shaped a little differently it would not be as bad. Compared to my Walther PPS, XDs, S&W M&P40c, M&P Shield, Glock 19, Glock 26, and Glock 43 this mag release is horrible for me to actuate.

I'm going to order a full-size mag release from MidwesterGunworks and that should solve the problem. I noticed this one is marginally worse than the sample I tried at Cabela's, so maybe the parts involved are slightly out of spec, or perhaps maybe a breakin period is required. I don't believe the latter could make it excellent, so I'll try the full size and see how it works. If it inadvertently actuates I'll change it back and send it to FN. As is, it is completely unacceptable so something has to change. I'm not worried about it though. I believe it will work out eventually.

Other than the mag release, I'm blown away by this gun. I'm comparing it to my Gen4 Glock 26 with a G19 Mag and X-grip, and I'm really excited. I was initially disappointed in the factory night sights because they are not what one might expect reading the FN sight which says, "The front sight also has a larger dot for faster target acquisition." This is true of the non-night sight version, but these night sights are small dots. That said, they pick up very well and appear very precise. For example, I know the proper way to line up a sight is to line up the tops of the sight, but when I do, for my eyes (given the sight radius), the dots seem to be perfectly matched up as well. I've never had a pistol do that before, at least not as precisely. In other words, it would appear you could line up the dots in daylight and it would be as good as lining up the top of the sights. I couldn't do that especially with my Smith & Wessons.

I'm telling you—I'm blown away at how good this thing is out of the box. For $509 it is an incredible deal. I know one of the disadvantages is aftermarket support, but I'm fine with these. I can't seem to find the perfect sight for my eyes even for my Glock, so I don't see me buying new ones unless Ameriglo comes out with the same lime-green iDot Pro they have for the S&W M&P Shield (I like a single rear tritium dot with a u-shaped notch, that's just me).

Lastly, I'm not one of these guys who gets a new gun and go's ga ga anymore. I'm a harsh critic. I Received my Glock 43 last week and sold it before even having a chance to fire it because I wasn't happy about certain aspects of the gun's ergos, and all I shoot as of late are Glocks. This is really a pleasant surprise. Short of the mag release which I'll fix, this thing really is a great pistol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I never really had a problem activating my mag release, I find it about the same as my other guns. The one thing I cant stand about the gun is the rear night sights, they are small and appear to have a silver ring around them, I just cant see them that well. The front sight is OK, I have no problem seeing it. I absolutely love this gun, its well made and accurate, you cant ask for any more than that. J L

1 - 4 of 4 Posts