FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK long story short: bought my first FN (FNS 40) in February, cleaned it, put on flat backstrap, fired it, loved it, wanted to try the other backstrap but couldn't. Called FN, they said send it in. FN received it on 2/26 and on 3/4 determined it wasn't fixable and was replacing it. Got my replacement 4/23. Yesterday I was going to shoot it for the first time so I cleaned it and noticed the barrel has two letters punched in (A P) with the P looking out of place and the underside of the slide has two letters (L F) as well. Unfortunately I didn't have my gun long enough to take notice so I'm wondering if this is normal. Also after cleaning I looked inside the barrel and noticed something in the grooves that resembles copper or rust? Not thinking to take a photo at the time I scrubbed it with a brass brush. I used Break Free CLP, Hoppes #9 & Hoppes Elite and while not as evident it's still there. And lastly does anybody else have machine marks like this on the inside of their slide? I'm hoping I can get some answers here before I call FN whose customer service I no loner trust. All this has me wondering if FN replaced my new gun with a refurbished one.
thanks in advance for any help y'all can give me.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Those are proof marks on the slide and barrel.

I believe that is just copper inside the barrel (they are stainless barrels, so rust should difficult to form), all my FN pistols look like that (and when new) and I've never taken the time to try to remove it as they're more accurate than me. FN does test fire them, which is why there's copper in the barrel when new.

The tooling marks look a bit rougher than my pistols and I doubt it's a refurb (never hear of FN sending out refurbs). The marks look like they're under the finish to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the life of me I couldn't think of "proof" marks. What made me question it is that P looks like it was stamped some time after the A. The depression of the A proof mark is even and looks machine stamped while the P proof mark is uneven and looks like it was done with a punch & hammer.
I'm curious does your barrel have two proof marks too?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Yes, my FNX 45 and FNP 9 both have two marks (the FNX has U instead of an A). On my 45, the P mark is not struck very deep. I've seen some as deep as yours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts