FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over the holidays, i ran across a smoking deal on an FNS 40, and they had lay-a-way so i went ahead and pulled the trigger I ended up paying for the gun 355.00 plus transfer which was a steal in my book for a brand new FNS40.

I got the FNS40 right after the New Year, and man that pistol feels so daang good in my hand its uncanny. I absolutely love it. I havent had time to shoot yet, but i look forward to the day I can. I did notice that the case when it came in is much smaller than my other 2 FN black plastic and blue inside cases, which while different isnt necessarily a bad thing. I do have a question about the sights though, how hard is it to change them out?

That brings me to my second point....

i've lately gone into wanting to focus my collection on FN's Sigs, and some others. And lately I've made some good headway on the FN market side. I started researching FN Pistols, and i found out about the FN Forty-Nine. (It can be in a 40 cal as well, but that is its official name) I was fortunate to pick one up just yesterday on Gunbroker for about 259.00 in 9mm. i'm stoked! So now i need an FNX tactical, the 509 and the ever illusive FN Barracuda, and i'll have all the modern made FN handguns. (or a version of each model i mean at least. I have my sights on the FN 509 something fierce next, and then the FNX tactical 45.. Im undecided on color still sadly.

As the Forty-Nine is a bit rare, here is a photo of it for your enjoyment.:
pix678465384.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
First, I'm jealous of your collection! I'm a FNS fan and have the 40, 9, & 9L.

Changing out the sites depends on you. I used the old brass punch and hammer method and knocked the old ones out no problem. Tapping the new front sight was troublesome and I boogered it up a bit, but it but got the job done. The rear sights were set screw so they were nothing. That said, I'm still not 100% satisfied with my Advantage Tactical sights and may switch to Sevigny. If I do, I will not use the same method, but spend the money on a sight removal tool...like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Arm...1516655264&sr=8-4&keywords=sight+removal+tool

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, I'm jealous of your collection! I'm a FNS fan and have the 40, 9, & 9L.

Changing out the sites depends on you. I used the old brass punch and hammer method and knocked the old ones out no problem. Tapping the new front sight was troublesome and I boogered it up a bit, but it but got the job done. The rear sights were set screw so they were nothing. That said, I'm still not 100% satisfied with my Advantage Tactical sights and may switch to Sevigny. If I do, I will not use the same method, but spend the money on a sight removal tool...like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Arm...1516655264&sr=8-4&keywords=sight+removal+tool
Ken,

thanks so much for the kind words about the collection.. It's taken me over a decade to get here, but im very pleased with how the collection is going. That said, i still have many FN's i want. The short list of that is :

FN SCAR17
FN SCAR16
FN FAL
FN AR15 US GI Model - 20" setup.
FN Barracuda revolver
FNX 45 Tactical
FN 509

And a FNs 9 compact i think in bronze would be the cats meow. but i digress...

I should have been more informative when i asked about the sights. I Have a sight tool as you linked, and i have the UTG/NC Star style Sight tool as well which is pretty dang good too for what it is price wise https://www.amazon.com/NcStar-Unive...&sr=1-1-fkmr3&keywords=UTG+sight+removal+tool and i've installed sights on 1911's before as i built one and changed out some standard sights to night sights on my Kimber Stainless II.

Your information about it being fairly easy to do with a brass drift/punch is reassuring as if it was easy with that it should be easy for me with the tools then. What type of sights did you go with? i would prefer some sort night sight setup on all my pistols, so i need to change them on my 5.7, fnp9 fns9 and maybe even the forty-9 as i bet its either got regular sights or they are so old the tritium has died in them.

thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
So for my competition 9L, I swapped out the 3-white dots for advantage tactical sights (ATS). I don't think they're rugged enough for much outside competition, and to be honest I'm about to swap them to Sevigny here sometime anyway. I have the factory night sights on my 40, factory 3 white dots on my 9. I wouldn't get the ATS even though they have a firefly version. I think it's goin to come down to personal preference for ya and availability for each of the models.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So for my competition 9L, I swapped out the 3-white dots for advantage tactical sights (ATS). I don't think they're rugged enough for much outside competition, and to be honest I'm about to swap them to Sevigny here sometime anyway. I have the factory night sights on my 40, factory 3 white dots on my 9. I wouldn't get the ATS even though they have a firefly version. I think it's goin to come down to personal preference for ya and availability for each of the models.
thanks Ken, im unfamilliar with the sevigny sights so i will research of course, before i do any changes. i like the look of traditional 3 dot sights (night sights preferably) i'm sure you're right about personal preference and availability.
I'm fairly patient so if i find what i like i can wait it out... another thing to think about is if i want sights high enough for suppressor use or not too.. i have yet to dive into suppressors, but i may eventually and i like the ability to be able to use them if needed.. sights arent exactly something i wanna change a lot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
another new addition.. just picked up a new 509. so excited :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts