FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally received my FNS9 a few days ago and I thought I'd share my first impressions of it in comparison to my FNP9. I had scoured the net for pictures and comparisons such as Im making here to help me in my decision to purchase the FNS9 and I'm hoping this info is helpful to anyone out there considering making the change from the Hammer-fired FNP9 to the Striker-fired FNS9. I'm no expert and the opinions Im offering here are based on my experience with the FNP platform and my initial impressions of the FNS9. I have not taken it to the range yet but I have followed the advice of a previous Post and thoroughly cleaned/lubed my FNS9 and also I have been dry firing it quite a bit and can already feel a difference in the trigger.

The FNS9 and FNP9 are very similar in size with the main difference being in the height of the frame due to the DA/SA mechanisms. Grip angles are the same but the FNP9 is wider and fatter than the FNS. Its not a huge difference, but very noticeable when you switch back and forth.

The FNS higher beavertail and low bore axis makes a huge difference in my grip allowing me to really choke up on the handle. It points nicely and I like not having the decocker rubbing against my thumb. Slide releases on either are easy for me to operate and I havent had any issues with ejecting mags by accident with the FNS' larger ambi mag releases. I like the screw in the FNPs backstrap better than the little plastic lever that holds on the FNS backstrap. It seems more robust to me, especially with a little blue loctite.

Magwells are both very generous, but the FNS9 is slightly larger. Both make for very easy reloads. The grip texture is very aggressive on the FNS and I like it better than the FNP. I added the Guntape to the FNPs grip and it make a big difference without resorting to stippling.

There is a significant difference in slide width as you can see that the FNS9 is narrower than the FNP9. Lengths are similar with the FNP being more rounded.

Profiles are very similar with the FNS being a little more angular and aggressive in its cuts. I really like the larger sights on the FNS. They are easier for me to acquire quickly.

The internals of the frame are similar, but you can see the difference in the Beefed up rails of the FNS. the Frame of the FNP is also noticeably thicker as well. The smaller slide release and absence of the decocker makes a big difference for me being able to choke up on the grip. The Triggers are obviously very different. My FNP DA is about 10lbs and very smooth and consistent and the SA has to be about 3lbs-4lbs and lends to some excellent accuracy at the range. I bought the FNS9 to try out the Striker style and as I mentioned earlier i did the "FNS Trigger job" on it and probably have about 200 dry fires so far and I can see a big difference from when I first dry fired it. It has smoothed out and reset is more crisp. The initial takeup is still a little gritty but has gotten much better. Overall so far I like the consistent trigger pull and the controls are easy to manipulate without getting in the way.

I thought I'd also show some Holster Compatibility as well. The FNS Fits very nicely in my Bladetech Shooters pack OWB holster with just a little bit of back/Forth motion but retains just fine with a slight adjustment to the retention screw. These can be purchased for cheap on ebay and elsewhere.

My Bladetech FNP9 IWB kydex is a perfect fit for the FNS9. No movement, perfect retention. The FNS and FNP conceal equally well for me due to the similar size. I usually carry RH appendix and these FNs disappear under a long tshirt or a Sweatshirt just fine. I havent carried the FNS yet since I havent fired it enough to trust it, but I dont think the aggressive grip texture will pose too much of an issue.

I was running a Safariland 6280 specifically for the FNP9 on my ATS warbelt setup and to my delight the FNS9 fit. I had to adjust the tension screw and it held decently although Id prefer it to be a little tighter for a rough use holster. The thumb-break top retention leaves a bit of room that allows the FNS to slide up and down and can result in bouncing around while running if the tension isnt tightened significantly. Overall, it'll work ok, but I have a 6378 ALS for the FNS9 on the way which I can mount to the Warbelt in the same fashion for harder use.

So far I really like the FNS and once it "proves" itself after some extensive range time I'll put it into the rotation. My FNP9 is still my #1. I have never had any malfunctions with it and its way more accurate than I am. Im sure the FNS will perform just as well. Once I have a chance to range test it I'll post up some more pix and thoughts.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Great post. Thank you.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Axeman4040-thanks so much for the detailed write up and review and including the pictures. Nicely done and thank you for the effort and willingness to share the info.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also have the FNS9, and that has become my #1 carry. I was carrying the FNX45 but tried the FNS9 on recommendation of a coworker ad +as you stated after almost 2000 rounds on the range, no problems and no jams. t ha earned it spot as m carry.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm happy to contribute guys. There isnt a whole lot out there on the FNS and this forum and its members have been very helpful to me so its the least I could do to return the favor. So far Im really happy with the FNS9 and at this point Im glad I went with it over the Glock 19. It just "feels" right in my hand and the transition from FNP9 to FNS9 has been easy. Its "familiar" while at the same time different and improved in many ways to me. I'm hoping to get out to the range this week. The dry firing has been excellent practice for learning and smoothing out the trigger. A buddy of mine who runs an XDM9 3.8 played with it when I got it in and then again just recently after I cleaned/lube/dry fired and feels a huge difference too. He was trying to suppress his grin when he squared up and dry fired it a few times. bahahahaha! :)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Nice review! I'm going to have to figure out the trigger job you did. Just picked up my FNS9 and the trigger flat out sucks. Very gritty with LONG reset. Need to do something about it. Mi have experiences in the past that the trigger seems better when firing live rounds rather than dry fire but time will tell.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is my go to pistol as well...love my FNS. What amazes me is how many people know nothing of FNH as a company. I learned of them they my Army days as an Armorer and have been a fan ever since.

Aim Small, Miss Small.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice review! I'm going to have to figure out the trigger job you did. Just picked up my FNS9 and the trigger flat out sucks. Very gritty with LONG reset. Need to do something about it. Mi have experiences in the past that the trigger seems better when firing live rounds rather than dry fire but time will tell.

Hey Somnus. All I did was this: http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fns/31827-how-smoothing-out-fns-trigger-when-new.html and dry fired so far about 200 times. Before I bought the gun I confirmed that it was a Feb 2013 production to avoid the slide/trigger lock issues. perhaps when correcting that issue they also did something to the trigger design that cleaned up some of the grittiness and long resets from the earlier runs of FNSs. The reset on mine is short and sweet and it will improve as I fire it more over time as many here have attested. Is it a match trigger? hell no, but for my defensive and run n gun uses its perfect.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Nice review! I've been toying with the idea of getting an FNS (if they release one in FDE, that might sway me, or the compacts). But my FNP-9 has been very good to me with over 8300 rounds through it with no gun failures (ammo on the other hand...)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice review! I've been toying with the idea of getting an FNS (if they release one in FDE, that might sway me, or the compacts). But my FNP-9 has been very good to me with over 8300 rounds through it with no gun failures (ammo on the other hand...)
I would LOVE one in FDE and Im hoping they'll announce a compact soon too! I think you'll like the FNS9. Like I mentioned in my review, its an easy transition from the FNP9 to the FNS9. Everything is in the right place and as I handle more and more its really growing on me and feels natural like the FNP. Dont forget it'll likely fit your FNP9 holsters too!

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I just bought my last pistol for a while (Dan Wesson CCO), and I'll be transitioning to suppressors and a few more rifles over the next couple years (although, if the deal is right, I'll probably pick up a pistol or two, just don't have any spots that need filling in the pistol category at the moment and want the funds for said cans and rifles)

·
Registered
218 Posts
An excellent run-down of the two platforms. Back when I got my FNS-9, I debated between the FNS or the FNX...I'm glad I chose the FNS. I never thought very highly of striker-fired guns (my only other exposure being the Glock; while I'm sure they're a fine platform, they are the very definition of "Not for me") but the more I looked at...and held...the FNS, the more I liked it. You always hear the cliche of "It felt like it was made for my hand" but that's exactly how it was.

Now, here I am, going on a year and almost 700 rounds later (and probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 200-250 dry fires working the ole "FN Trigger Job") and I absolutely couldn't be happier. The gun shoots far better than I'll ever be able to, and never a single hiccup...even firing bulk reloads. The trigger (as you've noticed) does feel a little gritty out of the box; in time, it goes from Better to Beautiful. The take-up is longer than most other striker-fired pistols I've tried since, but once you're broken in, you don't even notice it; you hit the "wall" so fast you don't even notice, and the trigger is so crisp and smooth after that point it is almost unbelievable, while the reset remains positive and easily identifiable. At this point, I'd like to add some other firearms to the collection for variety (it is the Spice of Life, after all) but I just don't think there's another gun out there that you could offer me that would get me to give up my FNS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts