FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize it's an obligatory "I'm a new FNX owner" post, but yep. Brand new owner of an FNX 45! :mrgreen: I've been lurking around looking at posts this evening and I've seen some pointers of things to do before my first shots. Leaving the slide locked back for about a week to break in the recoil spring, clean it up and lube it, leave the mags loaded for a while to break them in. Any other suggestions for an FNX noob, and well a handgun noob overall since its my first handgun purchase would be greatly appreciated! I'm currently looking at ammo as well to break it in, steel case is pretty easy to come by...but I've read its no bueno.

PART_1418506188344_20141213_142829.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the .45!

Reactions: Scorch00

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Congrats!

Federal American Eagle has been good for me. And pretty plentiful around here as well.

Reactions: Scorch00

·
Registered
39 Posts
Enjoy your new Pistol. FWIW I never left the slide locked back for any amount of time, never needed to load up the mags either. I've had 5 fn 45's, 2 fnp and 3 FNX. Not one has ever missed a beat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I never did the slide locked back or mags loaded for a week either- took it out and shot it!
Do be sure you lay it on it's left side pointed north in a darkened room before using any steel ammo in a top of the line weapon..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine likes hot loads. Any wiener loads tend to have cycling problems or won't lock the slide back after the last round. It is gradually loosening up as I shoot it more. I like it a lot.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Mine likes hot loads. Any wiener loads tend to have cycling problems or won't lock the slide back after the last round. It is gradually loosening up as I shoot it more. I like it a lot.
How many rounds do you have through it?

Mine did just fine with light hand-loads around 800 rounds (all guns will vary some however).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Define "light loads"
Mine has handled everything I've fed it- WWB (some consider it weak), +P, and my handloads.
I had some "reloads" that I purchased that cycled fine in other 1911 style guns but were noticeably softer than normal, cause failures to feed in the FNX45. Factory ammo seemed to work fine. After a couple hundred rounds, 5.1 grains of W231 behind a 230 grain round nose plated bullet mostly works, although the slide has failed to lock after the last round is fired sometimes. 5.6 grains of W231 with the same bullet is rock solid. Not sure what velocity that is producing, but that load is at the top or above most listed max loads. The FNX45 rocks with heavy loads.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I locked mine back and loaded the mags and once I took it out it shot like a champ. Congrats on the new addition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again everyone. I decided to not lock the slide back, although the mag springs are stiff as heck, definitely might want to invest in a speed loader if i'm going to be throwing more rounds down range until they loosen up a bit(my thumbs are killing me right now as I type this). I lubed it up prior to the range as well. Shot 100 rounds of PMC 230/gr through it this weekend with no problems, worked like a dream! I couldn't wipe the stupid smile off my face the rest of the day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you I just got mine after Christmas and the slide makes a noise but after a hundred rounds it has went away significantly ...but this gun is amazing I got the fnx 45 usg in flat dark earth ive shot wwb along with pmc and Winchester express and they worked fine but I like liberty civil defence for protection

1 - 20 of 20 Posts