FN Herstal Firearms banner

New FNX 9 - range reports

3391 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  frizzlefry
I picked up an FNX 9 at the recent gun show in Raleigh. Took it out the next day and put 150 rounds through it. Here's my quick notes:

Good
- I like the balance/feel, very similar to FNP9 that I had before.
- I like the bigger sights
- I still need to get used to the safety
- magazines both load and drop smoothly

Not sure
- a magazine with more than 5 or so rounds will 'wiggle'/rattle a bit, seems to be abouth 1mm of space, definitely different than the FNP9
- getting that 17th round in the magazine is freaking hard at first but gets easier each time

Grrrrrr...
- slide did not lock back consistently (I expect this with any new gun with a new spring in it)
- I had 4 FTF's, each was the cartridge case lip catching on the feed ramp. I think it's a combination of crappy Remington UMC ammo combined with the tight spring making a shortened slide action.

You can see from the target (7 yds), I'm shooting low/left, still getting used to the grip/trigger/sights.

I left the slide locked back for 4 days before shooting again.

2nd range report

- 150 rounds, 1 FTF
- no failures to lock back the slide on last round
- shot tighter groups, getting used to the sights

Overall I'm very happy with the gun, just need to get it broken in before I would consider keeping it next to my bed or carrying it. I'm sure once I get a few hundred more rounds through it I'll no longer see failures of any kind. That was the case with my other 2 FN pistols.

3rd range report - 5/14/2010

- 150 rounds - 0 FTE
- no failures to lock slide back on last round
- shot tighter groups

Went to the range tonight, shot some 124gr Federal HST, some 115gr reloads from Georgia Arms, some 9mm NATO, some Hornady Critical Defense 115gr, and finally some crappy Rem UMC 115gr. Happy to report not a single failure of any kind, slide locked back for all mags, shot tighter groups...flawless!

I am liking this gun more and more, one more flawless trip to the range and I'll be ready to carry it and keep it in the quick access safe next to my bed.
The Remington UMC is underpowered. Hence your failures.

I put 240 rounds through mine with 0 failures.

Try the Federal Champion stuff that Wal Mart sells, about the easiest to get.

The S&B, and RWS ball ammo is also good to go.

I shot low and right, definitely a grip issue for me, just need to ease up on the thumb and pinky pressure a bit and I'll have it.

They are very, very good pistols, hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
BlitzPig said:
The Remington UMC is underpowered.
Yeah, UMC is the only ammo with which I've had failures....and it's failed in my FNP 9M and my Colt AR15 9mm as well. Not trying to say anything bad about the gun at all, just sharing my experience thus far. I do like it better than the FNP9.

It was interesting tonight at the range I had 1 guy ask me how I liked my Sig and another ask me how I liked my M&P. I'm sure once I get a few hundred more rounds through it I'll no longer see failures of any kind. That was the case with my other 2 FN pistols.
Went to the range tonight, shot some 124gr Federal HST, some 115gr reloads from Georgia Arms, some 9mm NATO, some Hornady Critical Defense 115gr, and finally some crappy Rem UMC 115gr. Happy to report not a single failure of any kind, slide locked back for all mags, shot tighter groups...flawless!

I am liking this gun more and more, one more flawless trip to the range and I'll be ready to carry it and keep it in the quick access safe next to my bed.
:?

I'm really starting tho think that this may be FN's best pistol yet.
BlitzPig said:
:?

I'm really starting tho think that this may be FN's best pistol yet.
Just wait a little while. As that old song goes... "You ain't seen nothin' yet".

:D

...and to quote Forrest Gump, "and that's all I have to say about that"...

PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH
Good to hear :shock:

Funny about the SIG and M&P comment. I can kind of see the SIG one, but the M&P? must not have seen it too good.
djv38 said:
Good to hear :shock:

Funny about the SIG and M&P comment. I can kind of see the SIG one, but the M&P? must not have seen it too good.
yeah, the M&P comment was from someone standing behind so I guess I can see the mistake...maybe?
See less See more
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.