FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am the new owner of an FNX Tactical. I know the trijicon RMRs are common, but I'm not really into the idea of spending another $500 just yet. I'm sure that the RMR is the best, but is there another brand that is adequate? I tried to do a search but I couldn't think of how to word it.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Upon further research, I've found that some people are using Burris Fast Fire III's on their FNX tacticals. Has anyone tried both the trijicon and the Burris? Is the Trijicon truly worth $300 more, or can I live with the Burris? I really like the $200 price tag.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For what it's worth...

I'm very happy with my RMR on my FNX45T. I caught a lucky break and scooped up a used version of the exact RMR model that I wanted from my LGS... Dual illuminated (battery-free) green dot. The fit on the slide is near perfect with plenty of visibility through the prism to fall back on your irons. It's almost like it was designed with the RMR in mind.

I chose the green dot to avoid confusion with the red laser on my Streamlight. Glad I did that. I've never had an issue with the dual illuminated RMR brightness from pitch black closet to full sunlight. Just know, if you have a bright weapon light on in an otherwise darkened white room, the bounce back from the flashlight will washout the dual illuminated RMR completely. It's a non-issue for me since and got the laser. That, and the transition back to irons is nearly automatic.

With that out of the way, I'll pose this... You've spent significant hard earned coin on a top of line combat pistol. Do you really want to ignore the "buy once, cry once" adage and hamstring it with a budget optic?

Mini red dots on pistols aren't aren't for everyone. Folks are trying them, not liking them and reselling them all the time. I bet you can find $500 MSRP optics that are used within your budget. Especially, if you watch the Sample List over on SWFA.com like a hawk.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For what it's worth...

I'm very happy with my RMR on my FNX45T. I caught a lucky break and scooped up a used version of the exact RMR model that I wanted from my LGS... Dual illuminated (battery-free) green dot. The fit on the slide is near perfect with plenty of visibility through the prism to fall back on your irons. It's almost like it was designed with the RMR in mind.

I chose the green dot to avoid confusion with the red laser on my Streamlight. Glad I did that. I've never had an issue with the dual illuminated RMR brightness from pitch black closet to full sunlight. Just know, if you have a bright weapon light on in an otherwise darkened white room, the bounce back from the flashlight will washout the dual illuminated RMR completely. It's a non-issue for me since and got the laser. That, and the transition back to irons is nearly automatic.

With that out of the way, I'll pose this... You've spent significant hard earned coin on a top of line combat pistol. Do you really want to ignore the "buy once, cry once" adage and hamstring it with a budget optic?

Mini red dots on pistols aren't aren't for everyone. Folks are trying them, not liking them and reselling them all the time. I bet you can find $500 MSRP optics that are used within your budget. Especially, if you watch the Sample List over on SWFA.com like a hawk.
This thought has indeed crossed my mind. I've spent the money for the best, why not attach the best to it? The thing is, I've saved up my pennies for a really long time (traded up whenever I could) with the ideal stopping point being with the FNX tactical. The only thing is, I don't want to go forever without a RMR, so I'd like to get something cheap and fast. If I will be unhappy with the burris, then of course I'll wait. But looking at pictures, it just doesn't seem to "fit" as well as the Trijicon. I suppose I'll be waiting, and hearing my own wisdom repeated back to me only helps. Thanks a ton for the helpful response.

:wink:Congrats! trowe On your new FNX-45 Tactical :arrow:
Yes, congrats!!
Thanks for the congratulations! Hopefully she'll be fat and happy after I feed her some good 45 ACP tomorrow.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i think the only reason RMRs are priced so ridiculously high is because people are willing to pay for it, and now the consensus is that anything priced less has to be of lesser quality. the monster cable phenomena of the firearms industry.

anyway, i'm experimenting with the sightmark brand. the mini shot pro spec is similar to the burris FF2. couple problems being: the need to unmount the device to replace the battery; the locking screws being located in the rear, thus the rear site preventing access when the device is mounted. another problem with the mini shot pro specifically is that the power button is located in the front which gets in the way of the device fully seating on the mounting plate. it works better with the included metal shield, but requires the purchase of two #5-40 1/2" flat head screws. will post pictures in a bit.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
i think the only reason RMRs are priced so ridiculously high is because people are willing to pay for it, and now the consensus is that anything priced less has to be of lesser quality. the monster cable phenomena of the firearms industry.

anyway, i'm experimenting with the sightmark brand. the mini shot pro spec is similar to the burris FF2. couple problems being: the need to unmount the device to replace the battery; the locking screws being located in the rear, thus the rear site preventing access when the device is mounted. another problem with the mini shot pro specifically is that the power button is located in the front which gets in the way of the device fully seating on the mounting plate. it works better with the included metal shield, but requires the purchase of two #5-40 1/2" flat head screws. will post pictures in a bit.
I would agree with you on a lot of guns and gun parts but optics normally are priced based on how they are made/quality. a red dot on a handgun slide is subject to lots of force and momentum. Its a hard job being a optic on a handgun. rmrs were designed with the force constraints in mind. I am sure that a FF2/3 would work alright I would be more worried about losing zero ever so often. If you are only using the FNX as a range gun then a cheaper red dot should be sufficient. I would rather pay a couple hundred more to have a sight I know for a fact will last and hold zero. just my 2cs

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would rather pay a couple hundred more to have a sight I know for a fact will last and hold zero.
i'm not aware of any of these products being fact proven in a side-by-side comparison. my take is that they offer huge discounts (and probably still make profit) to LE & military personnel whom turn around and rave about the products to weekend range warriors (that probably make up majority of the civilian market).

if i'm missing hard fact, i'd like to know.

anyway, SM26003 pictures as promised:
FNX45t_SM26003a.jpg
a) zoomed-in, protrusion with the rubber button. the button powers on the unit and cycles thru different intensities. it powers the unit off when held down for a few seconds.

FNX45t_SM26003b.jpg
b) zoomed-out

FNX45t_SM26003c.jpg
c) the width is perfect otherwise, matches the (docter?) mounting plate

FNX45t_SM26003d.jpg
d) angled view; shiny bit on the rear is one of the locking screws, blocked by the rear site

the SM26003 is rated for a shotgun otherwise.
i'll post more pictures with it installed with the shield; it looks ugly though.

another prospect is the SM26001, core shot pro spec.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I would agree with you on a lot of guns and gun parts but optics normally are priced based on how they are made/quality. a red dot on a handgun slide is subject to lots of force and momentum. Its a hard job being a optic on a handgun. rmrs were designed with the force constraints in mind. I am sure that a FF2/3 would work alright I would be more worried about losing zero ever so often. If you are only using the FNX as a range gun then a cheaper red dot should be sufficient. I would rather pay a couple hundred more to have a sight I know for a fact will last and hold zero. just my 2cs
I mean no offense by this, just curious, what do you use the RMR for if not a range gun? Do you know of any LE or Mil unit that actually equip and train their people with red dot with their pistols?

If you want something really reliable and durable, why not just save your money and stick with your iron sights?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I guess my experience with a ff2 and delta point is a little biased. I had both and both would unzero themselves after shooting. If yours dont then great. my rmrs never had issues.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine is primarily a range toy. I'll be taking it out in about an hour and I'll be sure to report back. I'm also going to replace my (unreliable) .357 magnum PPC revolver as my hiking gun. With the bullet technology today, I don't feel uncomfortable lugging around a mag of 45 +P Lehigh Defense Perpetrator rounds while I'm hiking. Having an optic on a pistol just looks like fun, and I'm willing to put in the time to train with it. I've wanted an FNP45T forever, and now I have one and I want to do it right. Do I want an RMR that I can depend on were my life on the line? No, I just want something that is fun and I don't mind babying it for the sake of longevity.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'm not aware of any of these products being fact proven in a side-by-side comparison. my take is that they offer huge discounts (and probably still make profit) to LE & military personnel whom turn around and rave about the products to weekend range warriors (that probably make up majority of the civilian market).

if i'm missing hard fact, i'd like to know.

anyway, SM26003 pictures as promised:
View attachment 36294
a) zoomed-in, protrusion with the rubber button. the button powers on the unit and cycles thru different intensities. it powers the unit off when held down for a few seconds.

View attachment 36295
b) zoomed-out

View attachment 36296
c) the width is perfect otherwise, matches the (docter?) mounting plate

View attachment 36297
d) angled view; shiny bit on the rear is one of the locking screws, blocked by the rear site

the SM26003 is rated for a shotgun otherwise.
i'll post more pictures with it installed with the shield; it looks ugly though.

another prospect is the SM26001, core shot pro spec.
That optic looks great. I'll definitely consider it in my search.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm still thinking I can trade a few other playthings for a trijicon, but I'm still trying to figure all of that out at the moment. I'm going to keep watching this thread, but I'm going to table the reflex sight for now. I need to become proficient with the firearm and really run one or two thousand through it before I begin exploring this avenue. Thanks so much for all the info!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts