FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

MasterPiece Arms, the same people who brought you such awesomely useful firearms as the MAC-10 SBR in 5.7mm, have now decided to get into the high end rifle manufacturing business. Their first offering is a $4,000 .308 Winchester bolt action rifle, and I’m not feeling it. It might be that the barrel uses button rifling instead of the more precise cut rifling process that high-end rifle manufacturers use, or that the stock is basically a chopped up Magpul PRS, or that it looks as ugly as the rest of MPA’s line of firearms, I can’t put my finger on it. Press release after the jump.

Read more:New from MasterPiece Arms: A $4,000 .308 Bolt Action Rifle | The Truth About Guns

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Sure but you have to consider the source. This is the same person who had this to say about the SCAR 17S:
For three grand I was expecting… more. I was disappointed. It’s a fun range toy and probably great for hog hunting but I don’t see much of a use beyond that. There’s nothing this rifle does any better that an M1A or an AR-10 or even an FAL can’t do equally well for half the price besides looking cool and having slightly better ergonomics.

Reactions: LebbenB and STL

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Sure but you have to consider the source. This is the same person who had this to say about the SCAR 17S:
Well, in all fairness I know a couple of gentlemen that have used the Scar while serving in Afghanistan that have a similar opinion.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
Hahahaha! Yah, maybe the lead in should be "The Opinion About Guns" instead of the truth...

As for a couple of Operators not appreciating the platform, it's understandable. Not everybody likes every tool that's placed in their kit. Others bet the farm on it and the Mk17 proved to be worth its salt.

-SS

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
As for the MPA bolt gun, I'll pass. The only one I'm still waiting for is that adorable little .308 bolt coming from FN. Once that booger is in my hands, I will have reached the apex and call it good.

-SS

·
Registered
641 Posts
You can buy a Sig SSG3000 from Walmart these days for 1499.99, and those are ridiculously sub-MOA. No way these guys can compete in this segment with a $4K rifle. No way.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Well, in all fairness I know a couple of gentlemen that have used the Scar while serving in Afghanistan that have a similar opinion.
Hate to derail the thread but Leghorn is speaking purely from the perspective of a civilian shooter with a civy version of the mk17. Those in the military wouldn't concern themselves with cost of the firearm only the value added in operational environments. I personally don't know anyone who have humped miles on the mountains of Afghanistan and wouldn't appreciate shaving couple of lbs off their load especially if it makes no compromise to their combat effectiveness, so the relatively light weight of the mk17 is a huge plus compare to mk14 or SASS/SR25, the military versions of M1A and AR10 respectively. Plus SCAR is simply more versatile than those platforms, which are more dedicated to the role of marksman rifle.

Here's an opinion of someone who actually taken the mk17 in combat.
With the SR-25 that I carried as my primary sniper rifle, clearing room, climbing structures, etc. became somewhat of an irritating task. With the SCAR heavies, not only were they extremely light weight, but having the ability to fold the stock made it easier to carry in a slung position. Another thing that I really liked about the SCAR heavies were the fact that they were extremely accurate! The SR-25 semi auto sniper rifles that we carried, on average, was a 1 MOA rifle (holding a 1 inch group of 5 rounds at 100 yards). The MK-17 and 20 SCAR rifles held less than the 1 MOA group, something that is not often seen with the semi auto sniper rifles that I’ve seen. The only problem that I had with the SCAR heavy was the slight rattle noise near the folding stock, it makes quiet covert ops an issue, but with a bit of 100 mph tape, it solves the problem.
sauce
Anecdotal evidence for sure and not one shared by EVERYONE who deployed with a SCAR, but it's one opinion I'd place more value on than ones from someone like Leghorn. Just saying...

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Not impressed.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Umm....NO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts