FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do?

Been looking for a HP for a long time to add to my range collections (all shooters).
Found a NOS 1988 yesterday. Transported back in time. Wow. Nice.
The HP was in the factory box with wax paper, two 13r mags, cleaning rod and booklet. AND plenty of oil over the whole gun.
Not a spot on it. Factory new.

So, How do I proceed?
Clean all the old stuff off, oil and fire away? OR....
Is there a "break-in" that should be followed?
I know the rails need time to work in but Is there anything I should be doing?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Very excited.
A.

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
Clean it before you shoot it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
+1

Clean it, oil it, have fun!

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Welcome!!! :)

Clean it. IF it has a chrome lined barrel have fun, no break in needed. Not really needed for a pistol anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW, Right out of the box (less cleaning) nice 3" groups at 7 yds and 5" at 15 yds. Ran 2 boxes through in an hour at the range today.
At the end I was down to 2" blow outs.
Smooth trigger, holds level, little recoil, just feels good.
Mine has the adjustable sights and they were pretty spot on.
The 13 round mags spring is real tight and takes some doing to load them up. Found myself loading 10. they go quick.
Very happy first time out. Should have found the cash years ago.
Thanks for all that replies.
Clean, shoot, repeat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMG_0822.JPG IMG_0823.JPG IMG_0825.JPG Well, I"ll work on the rotation next time. Here it is, model 1988, not clean from the range yesterday and flashing her new BrowninG bag. Came in the same box as yours.
Not a bad grouping first time out. Btw Docfox we were at target world in Chalfont. small world. And I'll look into that loader. Are all the spring that heavy? Would mine be considered a Sport also?
Thanks A.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sport Model = Adjustable Sights in FN's vernacular :smile:.

FN introduced the Sport Model in '71, it consisted of the hard soldered ramp front sight and what became known as the Type A/"Beer Can" rear sight. FN produced a second Sport Model...subsequently known as the Type B, concurrently...in limited quantities, with the original Type A briefly in the mid-'80s...DocFox's Sport Model is a Type B. Then in the mid/late '80s FN produced the third Sport Model using a "Millett" style rear sight...your '88 is such as Sport Model. With introduction of the first MkIII BHPs...with its dovetailed front sight, FN first used the Millett style rear mated to a...breakage prone, tall dovetailed front...other combinations followed :?::wink::smile:.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I"ll work on the rotation next time. Here it is, model 1988, not clean from the range yesterday and flashing her new BrowninG bag. Came in the same box as yours.
Not a bad grouping first time out. Btw Docfox we were at target world in Chalfont. small world. And I'll look into that loader. Are all the spring that heavy? Would mine be considered a Sport also?
Thanks A.
BroncoHP - As sub-moa (a very well informed member) precisely observed, you have a Sport model with the Millet adjustable rear sight. And yours is a very handsome piece.

Yeah, most magazines seem to have rather stiff springs. The Maglula loader takes the pain out of loading a full magazine, either the stock 10 or 13-round or the 15-round magazines offered by Mec-gar (the Italian magazine OEM to FN-Browning).

Years ago I used to shoot at Target World with regularity. But some years back I joined the Branch Valley club in Perkasie and now shoot there exclusively. I really like being able to shoot outdoors and find the club and its members very pleasant. If you'd like to join me for a BHP shoot there, send me a PM or e-mail and we'll get together.

Regards,

George

1 - 10 of 10 Posts