FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard a rumor that FN will be releasing a new edition of the FS2000 with a modified version of the optic they use on the F2000. Sounds great but I also heard that the optic will not be compatible with the current version of the FS2000. Can anyone confirm this rumor? I placed a call to FN customer service and have not gotten a call back yet.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
There has been talk about this here on the site - word is exactly as you have stated. But, I only know what others have said here (as I have a PS90, and not an FS2000) - maybe someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just heard back from FN! The rumor is true, everything I stated. The customer service rep I spoke with didn't like the new scope (none of his coworkers did either). He said that it looks cool but he dosent like the speed of acquisition, and the fact that you are stuck with the 1.6x magnification and cannot remove the scope without great difficulty. Even if you do manage to remove the scope (im sure somebody will find a way) you are stuck with a European rail interface that will not accept weaver/picatinny accessories. Sounds like the new scope is good for the collector, but not very practical.

·
Registered
857 Posts
After the ps90 sight - if offered a choice on an fn rifle with or with out a scope - I'll choose the one with out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wlcohen said:
After the ps90 sight - if offered a choice on an fn rifle with or with out a scope - I'll choose the one with out.
Couldn't have said it better... I can't believe that FN would release the PS90 with that sight. I will stick with the "Tactical" FS2000.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Sometimes Progress isn't.............................DJ

·
Registered
268 Posts
The problem with the MC-10-80 was that they used a white reticle which relied on ambient lighting to illuminate. There is nothing wrong with the sight itself other than the illumination. Now, the USG sight used an etched reticle with 1.0 magnification. This is the sight that SHOULD have been equipped on all standard PS90s. There is nothing wrong with using the USG sight.

The fixed 1.5-1.6x magnification scope on the F2000 should have an etched reticle as well so there won't be any problems aiming at different colored targets. The only issue that might arise is night-time illumination which frankly most of us don't really care about since it will stay in a safe or peek out at the range for static targets or a carbine class.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Personaly, I like the Elcan scope on my FS2000. The way it mates to the receiver almost seems like the rifle was designed specifically for it. The 3.4x magnification was perfect for longer shots and was still easy to aquire targets during CQB scenarios. However, I then tried the sight on a F2000 in FA but found the magnification made it difficult to maintain a good sight pic on the target due to the bouncing of the reticule.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think the Europeans have the right idea about a 1.5-1.6x optic. It's more useful than a 1.0x etched reticle/red-dot since it provides SOME magnification, but it's not so magnified that it makes CQB extremely difficult. I've talked to some hunters that find that even 3x is too much for sub-75 yd shots.

The 1.6x fixed optic on the F2000 fits the style of the rifle better, since it was originally designed to be used on the F2000 and gives it that HK OICW / Halo gun appearance. :x

·
Banned
83 Posts
Got the elcan m145 on mine. It does fit like it was made for it.
Mine is all mispec...ratcheting qd mount, ir filter, illuminated stadia, and anti reflection grid.....only 'bounce' I ever got was on auto also, but when shot from shoulder. Never had a problem on bipod or mount, this was from an M4.
On the 2000 works fine.

By the way...I found that Butler Creek 'snap closed' sight covers fit great on it, can't tell you what size I used, but they work a whole lot better than the elcan covers and look pretty good. Best way to get a pair is to go to a shop that has all of em hanging and start trying them on till you find one that's tight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts