FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

R4 Evolution, a new company with roots in the Special Forces community, has developed new pistol sights designed for a clearer sight picture and faster shots.

The Optimized Duty Sight
, or ODS, features multiple horizontal and vertical alignment points.
The base of the front sight is designed to fill a notch that’s cut out of the bottom of the rear sight, so if your sights aren’t aligned you see daylight. There is a white vertical line at the base of the front sight that lines up with a matching vertical line at the base of the rear sight. And the rear sight is equipped with two horizontal lines near the top that line up with the dot on the front sight.

The ODS designer, a retired Special Forces sergeant major and cofounder of R4E, describes it as the “crooked-picture-on-the-wall concept. “You walk into the room; you see a crooked picture on the wall, what does your eye automatically want to do? It wants to fix it,” he said at SHOT Show 2014.

The designer didn’t want to be named, but he spent 23 years in the Army’s 7th and 3rd Special Forces Groups and also played a key role in the Special Forces Close Quarter Battle/Urban Operations courses and the Special Operations Target Interdiction Course, now known as Special Forces Sniper Course.

The ODS also features angle facets on the rear sight to allow the shooter greater target visibility while maintaining sight alignment.

Both front and rear sights are designed with a slight reverse slope to help them bite into belts, steering wheels or any edge for racking the slide.
When lined up, these features are designed to draw attention to the front sight.

Read more: New gun gadget promises faster, clearer shot | Fox News

·
Registered
551 Posts
It looks like something I could use on my Ruger (Doubt if they would make one for Ruger). I was thinking of XS Big Dot combat sights.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I would have to try them out to be sure, but my first impression is they look a little busy.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
They might be more precise, just not sure if they'd be faster than the standard 3 dot. Anyone ever try those triangle sights?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I would have to try them out to be sure, but my first impression is they look a little busy.

^

Ability : Skill : Hardware

It's a ratio; when one goes down, usually the other tries to compensate.

Correlation does not imply causation; I'm not saying that about these sights, just that most "new sights" are nothing more than that.

I think it's a great design, and think that it is great that new designs and innovations populate our market.

It will be fun to check them out.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
I have tried XS, the so-called "wonder" triangle sights, just about all of them really and still find 3-dot to be best, now I am waiting for my Trijicon HD's with hopes that these really do provide for faster target acquisition. Everyone tries to reinvent the wheel, in the end most come back to the tried and true.

They might be more precise, just not sure if they'd be faster than the standard 3 dot. Anyone ever try those triangle sights?

Reactions: djv38
1 - 6 of 6 Posts