FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never shot a gun and very much a newbie regarding anything gun related.
I purchased a FNX-9 in 2010 and never got around to using it. It stills has original rust preventative lubricant and everything else, in original case.
I was thinking about removing all the original rust preventative lubricant, then lightly oiling the gun and using Tipton snap caps to practice dry firing, would that be okay?
How long should I practice using snap caps and would I end up damaging the gun using snap caps for a prolong time?
Being that it was bought in 2010 and never used, is there anything I should be looking for any issues?
Appreciate any suggestions.
I will be following the sticky, Newbie’s Guide to Trouble Free Ownership of the FNX.
Hopefully be taking my FNX-9 to an indoor shooting range in a couple of weeks here in Houston, Texas.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new old gun:). Your on the right track, nothing to worry about. Hit up the local range for a great safety class and then get some shooting instruction. Enjoy it can be addicting:)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Welcome and belated congrats.
Like Bigbuckeye said, take a safety class and some formal training up front so you don't ingrain bad habits.
Snap caps are fine, but PLEASE make sure there's no live ammo in the same room.
Complacency kills, so double checking that your gun is unloaded isn't paranoid, it's common sense.
You'll wear out the snap caps before you wear anything out on your gun.

Remember, bad practice only breeds bad habits.
There's no such thing as "I only do that on the range", or "I wouldn't do that in a real situation".

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome! As several have already pointed out, training is the best place to start, and snap caps can be a great training tool both for dry fire practice and malfunction drills at the range if you slip one or two into a loaded magazine.

You mentioned Tipton snap caps... I've used them, found some issues personally. I MUCH prefer A-Zoom snap caps: A-Zoom Snap Caps, no other snap caps are more precise or rugged

Paul.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Read your manual on dryfire. I have a Ruger SR40C, mine specifically states NOT TO DRY FIRE WITHOUT A MAGAZINE IN GUN.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow, I dont think i could wait 3 days to shoot a new gun, let alone 3 years.

Snap caps are a good start but nothing beats range time, get down to the range and have some fun with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't think anyone here would lead you wrong so I don't need to repeat what they have said. I have no experience with snap caps but I did recently pick up a new lubricant for my firearms called "frog lube". I haven't yet been to the range yet since applying it to any of my weapons but I was really impressed with the applications of it. My personal opinion is to clean all brand new firearms with solvent and properly lubricating before ever firing a round through them so I think you are headed in the right direction. Good luck and happy range time to you.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I don't think anyone here would lead you wrong so I don't need to repeat what they have said. I have no experience with snap caps but I did recently pick up a new lubricant for my firearms called "frog lube". I haven't yet been to the range yet since applying it to any of my weapons but I was really impressed with the applications of it. My personal opinion is to clean all brand new firearms with solvent and properly lubricating before ever firing a round through them so I think you are headed in the right direction. Good luck and happy range time to you.
I was out instructing at Front Sight and one of my fellow instructors said he'd found some mold growing on one of his guns.
Yes, he applied it correctly.
Yes, he had a dehumidifier in his safe.

I never had any problems with FL, but that was enough for me.
Back to Gunzilla for my CLP and Mil Comm TW25b for the lube.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts