FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
this is the right place for FNX-9?
I've had a CCW permit for some time and have carried a variety of guns-- Kahrs(9mm and .45acp), revolvers, and a Ruger P-89, never am without my trusty Kel-Tec P-32 in a shirt pocket. I've shot Glocks and XD's at the range but wouldn't carry one, I'm way to old to Glock myself. Kahrs are light and the trigger is ok if your used to DA revolvers. revolvers and single stack pistols are capacity challenged, to old and clumsy for tactical reloading, just go to the P-32 as I'm trying to run away. this brings me to the P-89, the trigger could be better and the loaded weight of 41oz. could be less. I like the DA/SA pistol- a DA "warning shot" and then down to SA business. so, I'm shopping all the usual, Sig, Beretta, Cz, Turkish clones, etc. and so far the FNX-9 looks like the winner. there are no guns without rails and ambi controls- drat! (I'm always a right handed shooter and have no plans to mount a blender on a gun.)
so is there any 9mm shooters here or is everybody a .45 fan?
thanks, ramble concluded.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The FNX9 is a great gun. Not to steer you away from the FNX9, as again, I am a big fan, but you can easily get your hands on a Beretta 92F that doesn't have a rail, but honestly, I don't see a rail as being a negative despite your desire not to attach a kitchen sink to it. I find attachments to be very useful. I have a full-size chainsaw attachment for my pistol that while cumbersome in my IWB holster, it is truly a functional piece of lawn equipment, and it will save my hide if my gophers ever organize and revolt.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Welcome! Have you shot or at least held the FNX 9 yet? I ask because some people have an issue with the safety/decocker rubbing on their thumb some.

But, if you're looking for a carry gun that is light weight with a full size capacity, the FNX 9 is hard to beat.

The only rail-less non-ambi guns that I can think of are some SIG's (usually carry models/SAS models). They are, however, quite a bit heavier. As far as poly guns, can't think of any that don't have some sort of rail that's a full-size pistol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi,
thanks for the welcome.
I was kind of kidding about the rail and ambi controls, that's just the standard stuff they put on a gun these days.
if you watch youtube gun reviews you've seen the tactical guys and know that some of them love the FNX-9 and some say the trigger is so bad it's barely shootable. other complaints include the aggressive grip texture(who ever said that has not shot a Kahr CW45 and got the Kahr bleeding hand, hehehehe.)
the trigger--- I've shot Glock's and XD's, both ok for range guns. I've shot the Ruger P-89, the Berretta92, a CZ clone, and an HK45. to me the DA is supposed to be deliberate (not as bad as a Taurus revolver) but not something an old guy could glock himself with. the single action pull should be heavier and not a trigger like you find on a 1911 racegun. the Beretta 92 is, to me, very serviceable. for that matter I can struggle along with the P-89. the reason I'm looking at the FNX-9 is the 30oz. loaded weight. don't know how they do it but that's about 10oz. lighter than other guns in the class. (so far, the runner up looks like the Sig 2022.) thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi and welcome.
Count me among the folks who love the FNX9. Trigger issues seem to be more likely on the early production runs. I like the description of a double action trigger as "deliberate". I'd say that would be an accurate description of the DA on the FNX9. After a number of rounds, my SA pull settled in at a comfortable 4.5 pounds.
While the grip texture is "aggressive" compared to some other pistols, it also provides a very secure grip. It also settles down a little over time, or I just notice it less. I find this to be the most accurate pistol that I shoot and have no problem recommending it to my friends (or even internet strangers.):)
Good luck in your search and selection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a Kahr CW45, 20oz. of pure .45acp mayhem. the back strap has some serious hand chewing texture. nothing that a fingernail sanding stick wouldn't cure. just knock the tops off of the pointy things and keep shooting. I ended up trading it on a CW9 as I get more holes closer together in the middle of the target with that. actually a Kahr isn't a bad gun, trigger feels like a revolver and it does hold a few more rounds. I want to go high capacity. well, without going to the usual striker fired guns. the grip safety on an XD is to me kind of a joke, Glocks, Rugers, M&P's, all of those guns end up on the youtube shot myself videos. at the same time I don't want to have a thumb safety to deal with in a stressful situation. to bad nobody makes a 16 shot revolver. (there is a video where this old guy keeps pulling 5 shot j-frames out of a book bag and gets off 30 shots in 18 seconds. 6 j-frames is $2700. that's more than the Wilson Combat 92F. yikes!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a new FNX-9 owner as of November and I love the thing. My first gun purchase and 385 rounds in. I wish I was able to do this when handgun ammo was cheap. Oh well.
I have adapted to the safety-getting-in-the-way-of-my-thumb issue. I can see why it would bother some but I never have to question whether my gun is on safe due to my finger positioning. I don't even have to look.

So what I am trying to say is get it. Its light, performs great and bonus points for being original and buying an FN!

In regards to the grip texture, you can always go Hogue like me. I love the fatter grip since I have long fingers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts