FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all, I just found this site. I am new th FN and the FNP. I purchased a FNP-9 a few days ago and finally got a chance to go to the range today. I used Remington (brass) FMJ and Blazer (not brass!). I had about 3 or 4 FTE with the Blazer. I'm pretty sure I wasn't limp-wristing, and the weapon was clean. The Remington ran fine. I probably put a 75 Blazer and 50 Remington through the pistol today.

Has anyone ever had a similar issue? Any thoughts?

I REALLY like this gun...I REALLY don't like malfunctions

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
You had the aluminum Blazer, right?

That is all I shoot, but some guns do not like it. I have shot 2 fullsize HK USPs that hated aluminum Blazer. Yet, my compact HK USP will shoot it all day long.

If your gun is having problems, skip the aluminum rounds, and only shoot brass. If it's 100% then, then U are fine.

The lighter aluminum cases can throw off the timing. Like I said, most guns can shoot it, but some cannot.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Also the aluminum case is a bit 'stickier' and may not eject as smoothly as a brass case will.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, I really think it is the aluminum (fingers crossed). The brass did fine. I'll give an update as soon as I can get out again.

And Shipwreck, thanks for the welcome. I found this board by your postings and invitaions from another board (GT).

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think you will find the aluminum to be your problem. I shot 250 rounds through mine the other day without a problem whatsoever. I used all brass Winchester and Remington. The Wal Mart here dosen't always carry Blazer Brass so I wasn't able to run that through it.
This gun is just so sweet to handle and shoot. The decocking lever is prefectly placed and operates smoothly and quickly. The trigger pull is smooth but I thought just a bit long for the DA pull. The accuracy was excellent out of the box (or as good as the shooter allowed it to be.) I shot it as well as I have shot anything including Sigs.
Can't wait for my next range trip. Which reminds me on my way To Wal Mart now for a cleaning kit and more ammo :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hell, even with brass cases I had several FTE on my first trip to the range with my 9M. Scared me to be honest, because I thought I had just spent 470 (expensive, I know) on a crap pistol.

Its simply break in, first. If the aluminum is bad for ejection in the first place it's just compounding the matter, but it comes to break in. After about 500 rounds try the aluminum again and see if it isnt a bit different. Wouldnt surprise me. The only problems I have had with extraction/loading is with my roommates reloads, and I think those were just crappily made (no offense to him, they were made for his Star BM) as my reloads functioned great. So did my nickel case Federals (hydrashok baby) and the S&B that I normally get at cabella's.

Im chalking this one up to break in, even though the others performed fine. If after 1000 rounds the aluminum cases are still crap, then I think we have our solution.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Either somewhere on this forum or another one - I saw a suggestion from someone that worked.

For the FNP - Leave the slide open for about 1-2 weeks, to break in the recoil spring. That solved the issue for others.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I know I took Jewelers Rouge and a soft bullet shaped felt Dremel head and polished my feed ramp and the rear 2/3rds of the chamber to a mirror finish. I never had any FTE's....

Now if I'd just get the thing back from Browning's service center in Arnold Missouri with the Sear tilt Problem fixed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, good news...I think. I went back to the range today for a brief time. I loaded up three mags intermixed with brass, aluminum, FMJ, HP. Nothing scientific, I just wanted to see if I would have any stoppages.

I did not have any FTE's this time. Unfortunately, I only ran the three mags (time constraints). I am encouraged by this though. Thanks for the spring suggestion Ship. I may try that.

Also, I love the trigger on this thing. It has to be one of the best shooting pistols I've used. I am a die hard Glocker, but this gun has become my favorite!

More range reports to follow!

·
Registered
21 Posts
My range trip

:? I love my P40.:? I took my p40 to the range & used Winchester (Wally-world $21 special). I ran thru 100rnds w/ no FTE/FTF until...the dude running the range had me try 6 rounds of their reloads, he said that they reload to min charge. :? I love my P40.:? That ammo caused an FTE every shot, it caught each case by the a$$ end. :? I love my P40.:? I'm guessing the charge was not enough to rack the slide back far enough & threw off the timing by that much. :? I love my P40.:?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts