FN Herstal Firearms banner

new guy ,,question on build date

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Pawpaw757 
#1 ·
How's it going ? I'm going to be purchasing an FNS 9mm .Within the next few days.. I was wondering if there has been any factory upgrades since early 2012 ? The reason i ask is of one i'm looking at ,,the test fire date is 3/22/2012 ,all black with night sights . Model 66927. This is a new firearm in factory box ,etc I can get it for $500..

The other one ,,same price ,,stainless slide,night sights ,also new ,,don't know the test fire date yet,,same price..Model 66928

$500 ,,seems like a good price these days ,,but was wondering if i should hold out and pay a little more for one that was made more recent ? Is there any upgrades that have been done to newer models as opposed to one made in 2012 ?? Or for $500,,should i jump on it

Thanks in advance ,,and i'm looking fwd to spending more time around here

#2 ·
I would suggest passing. First fn reduced the price on new fns black models anyways so you should be able to find a recent build date. Second the pre oct/nov 2012 guns had a trigger issue. The slide would lock if you pressed the trigger forward after firing. They fixed the problem on newer build date pistols. Also it's not a big deal but your sights would already have two years life on them if they are night sights.

#4 ·
Thanks Bear ,,,i did come across that info ,,so i did pass on that one .. I did purchase the Model 66928 ,,with stainless slide and night sights ..It had a test fire date of 8/23/13.. Very Happy ... I will have it wednesday ..

Thanks Lester

And something else i've been finding ,,,even with the new price drop of MSRP,,,i couldn't find anyone selling them reflecting the price drop

#5 ·
You likely won't for quite a while, especially in your Local Gun Stores. Your LGS (unless it happens to be an "Authorized FN Reseller" is a Middleman. He buys the firearm from FN, then he sells it to you. He isn't selling FN's firearms for them nor is he buying in bulk like the Big Box/Online dealers, so his prices aren't going to be reflective of the drop until he actually starts buying them from FN at the new wholesale they offer to go with the new MSRP. You won't see the new MSRP-related prices start to pop up on shelves until either current inventories have been run through, or until enough other dealers have depleted stocks and your LGSs that haven't either have to take the hit or eat the handgun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.