FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local pawn shop has this up for sale. Can anyone tell me anything about it.
Stamped on reciever:
L1A1 Sporter Cal 308
Receiver made by IMBEL - Brazil
Imported by CAI ST AlB VT

Barrel has no flash suppressor, Black synthetic stock, Carry handle, folding charging handle, 20 round Mag, looks in decent shape.

I have been interested in the FN style gun and this one has popped up. Just don't want to get stuck with one of the bad ones. Just want a good shooter. Could not figure out how to upload the pics
:-?

·
Banned
38 Posts
This is a Century build on an imported Imbel receiver. Probably built on a very good L1A1 parts kit. If it has not been shot to death since its rebirth it should make a great project. Good receiver and parts kit. Won't have 922 parts so if you want to put the stock and grip back on you will need to substitute 7 US parts and you are good to go.
Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. When I 1st dropped by the store he was asking $900.00 for it. A week later he had it listed on Gunbroker for the second time with no bids for $700.00. What would a good price be to offer him. I have not checked the bore, other than that it cycled ok, didn't show any wear marks. Is this a Metric or Inch piece?

·
Banned
38 Posts
Most of that rifle should be Inch. From what I understand Century modified Imbel metric receivers to accept Inch kits (folding charging handle) but they are still metric receivers.
I have no Idea as to what a fair price for one of these would be. Try looking at the Falfiles marketplace.
Davesrb

·
Registered
212 Posts
At 700 get it - the receiver is worth almost that alone.

You can get 922 parts from GPG or any other number of vendors.

Only thing on it I'd check is the mag well cut - it is probably metric, but it may be inch. Inch mags are a lot more, but inch cut guns can use metric mags (they may be wobbly, etc)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to be a pain, but how can I tell the difference. New to the gun and don't want to start off wrong. Somewhere I read that if Mag has the catch brazed on the front of Mag then it is an inch version. Metric the catch will be stamped into the metal???? How can I check by looking at the Mag Well Cut?? :-? :-? :-?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mag well cut for inch will be a larger square hole, the metric will be a scallop. All sorts of good ID info on falfiles.com, and I've seen a post here that has it as well...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the reply's. Still have been unable to strike deal with seller. But from all the pictures and info that I've seen, it appears to be a metric receiver. Bore is in excellent shape. Mag well is for Metric Mags. Probably go Sat to try and deal one last time. Will post pics if I'm lucky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The R1A1 receivers are built on really random FAL parts. Some years ago we had several come in straight from CAI and they had different muzzle devices as well as selector markings on the lower.

Don't expect it to be anything without investigating the details. If you are really unsure get some photos via your cell phone and post them ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was able to deal with seller. Finally got to shoot it today. All seamed to function ok but now I have more questions. The gun does have a bolt hold open device, but I noticed after the last shot that it did not hold the bolt open. Also I picked up a few of the spent rounds. They had a dent a the mouth of the round. Is this enherint to the gun or is something amiss. I as well as my brother was suprised at how accurate it shot. Well pleased so far. I'm kind of guessing based on other posts that the gas setting needs some fine tuning. Thoughts and suggestions. Pics to follow as soon as I figure out how.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Inch guns had their bolt hold opens milled down so that they could be activated manually, but not when the mag ran dry.

Century, for whatever reason, did the same to a lot of their builds that used metric parts as well.

Dented cases aren't uncommon in military rifles other than a M16.

Playing with the gas system settings might alleviate some of that, but as long as it's going bang and feeding and ejecting, that's what I'd be worried about.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This gun is built on a metric reciever. I've compared it to lots of pics on this and another forum. It does have bolt hold open parts in place. It can be activated by hand, just doesn't do it on last round fired. My though is there isn't enough gas pushing the bolt far enough back so bolt hold open can engage. Only had 1 box of shells trying gun out so couldn't shoot anymore. ????????

·
Registered
212 Posts
Will it lock open on an empty mag if you pull the charging handle all the way back? If so, you have a last shot bolt hold open - now we just gotta get it working.

I'd buy at least 2 more boxes of NATO spec ammo, and then adjust your gas properly (you can probably do it with one box, but hey, just in case)

Start with gas all the way closed (max gas to action), then back it off to 7. Load one round in the mag, chamber it, fire. Should short stroke. Increase gas by a click or two, do it again. Continue to send more gas to action until the rifle locks open on the empty mag. Then add one or two more clicks of gas for "just in case". Your gas is now adjusted.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i sold one of these last year, sounds exactly like what i had, i wonder if it is the same gun!? as long as you figure out the gas regulator, they operates like a dream. sometimes i regret getting rid of it but i want to use the money to buy a percision rife (which i still have not done) but hey whatever. i sold mine for 575 if i remember. hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bolt will not stay open with an empty mag unless you manually depress bolt hold open button near mag release button. I guess I need to invest in a manual of some sort to see how it is supposed to look and operate. Gun show next month so will be on the look out for one and a few more mags and ammo. Thanks for everyones input.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If bolt won't hold open manually on an empty mag, then you have inch parts in there... just replace with metric. gunpartsguy usually has this stuff in stock

Gas adjustment is different for inch. Start with full gas to action, reduce gas until rifle no longer cycles, increase gas by 2 clicks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts