FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
At the risk of asking a dumb question does this design allow the removal of the gas plug and piston without removing the handguard? And will it come in FDE?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Please offer this in anodized FDE.

·
Registered
609 Posts
At the risk of asking a dumb question does this design allow the removal of the gas plug and piston without removing the handguard? And will it come in FDE?
i got to see it in person today. you can remove the piston easily with the handguard in place.

having the day off i decided to get some car therapy and took my 1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350 out for a drive and dropped by Midwest Industries to hopefully get a peek at the actual Scar Keymod handguard on the rifle itself

View attachment 29199

i was lucky enough that troy was there and he was more than happy to let me get my hands on it and take some pics.

View attachment 29200

(cant have gun pics without a shot of ye olde shoes...)

the feel is MUCH better than i thought it would be and the MI handguard is actually slimmer than the widest part on the rifle which are the rear barrel extension screws. if you have ever held on of their Gen2 lightweight keymods its a LOT like that. its also reminiscent of the feel of slimness of a HK91 without the monstrous weight. it shoulders really well and balance is not thrown off by the lightweight extension. the rifle still balances under the magazine.

i can reach all the way forward and cannot grip the barrel as there is just enough space for the reach but not so little your looking for more.

View attachment 29201
there is plenty of clearence around the gas block for cleaning and it looks like heat is not going to be an issue as the handguard is far enough away and there is enough rail space that you wont need to worry about it. risk of burning yourself with a hot rifle sling will be practically nill unlike oem config.

View attachment 29202

if you notice, a real nice bonus, the folks at MI included a neat anti rotational QD socket on each side.

View attachment 29203

the bottom of the handguard extends the full length of the underside.

MI has scallop cut sections inbetween each keymod slot on both sides of each rail section. the scallops are smooth and rounded giving an VERY positive grip. grip panels will not be needed but can be added. the grip fills the hand just right and has a VERY positive feel. it totally changes the feel and heft of the rifle in a positive way.

This product is a definate SCAR must have. after holding the finished product in hand getting a good bit of time handling it its definately a homerun and makes the scar what it should have been from the factory. i tired putting some hand pressure on the front end like i would use in a stiff hold and i could not get any feel of any hint of a bend occuring the handguard is rock solid with no hint of wiggle jiggle or movement of any kind. it is solidly attached and feels like it was machined as part of the receiver.

i CANNOT wait to get one

·
Registered
609 Posts
How's the added weight feel compared to the stock scar?
unnoticeable. i cant feel a weight difference. your losing the bigger side rails and the heavy under rail and the ssr version your also ditching the front sight assembly and replacing it with the lightweight keymod so it feels like a wash or damn close. balance point as pictured is under the magazine same as the oem scar17

on my scar17 it will be lighter as i run a bcm comp in plaxe of the chunky pws brake

the thinner sides really change the scar dynamic. it has a faster feel to it as you have a much more positive grip thanks to the way MI does the scallop cuts on the sides and how thin it makes the rifle. it makes it feel much more like a 556 ar15 than it already does.

when you see it and hold it in person you really get a feel for how much thought went into the design. Troy and his crew really created a gem with this

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'm in.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You've sold me. How does it compare to their non keymod SSR rail? I am looking to turn my scar 17 into a DMR/SSR clone.

unnoticeable. i cant feel a weight difference. your losing the bigger side rails and the heavy under rail and the ssr version your also ditching the front sight assembly and replacing it with the lightweight keymod so it feels like a wash or damn close. balance point as pictured is under the magazine same as the oem scar17

on my scar17 it will be lighter as i run a bcm comp in plaxe of the chunky pws brake

the thinner sides really change the scar dynamic. it has a faster feel to it as you have a much more positive grip thanks to the way MI does the scallop cuts on the sides and how thin it makes the rifle. it makes it feel much more like a 556 ar15 than it already does.

when you see it and hold it in person you really get a feel for how much thought went into the design. Troy and his crew really created a gem with this

·
Registered
609 Posts
You've sold me. How does it compare to their non keymod SSR rail? I am looking to turn my scar 17 into a DMR/SSR clone.
night and day. your going to love this. its like the difference between a quadrail ar15 handguard and the mi gen2 keymod. super light really thin with a very positive grip. your going to WANT this one.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hey Troy?

can you have a flat front sight rail on when using this? As a filler. Just don't like the unfilled/open gap.

wont stop me from buying one immediately! This rail needs to come out NOW.

just a question.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I like it, BUT it is too much rail. I have been shooting SCARs for maybe 3 years and the beauty of the rifle is it's light weight and balanced. Some of us would love a small extension the size of a Branham Tactical that just covers the gas block and replaces the side and bottom rails with keymod. I bought two of your picanny replacement side rails with the QDs built in and ordered three pair more (which you notified me were put on hold). Those were good, but this huge extension is too much, so how about a short version?

I can already get a light, sling mount and, if I want, a laser (or a bipod on the 17s) on the stock rifle so frankly I don't want or need all that rail, just two inches to cover the gas block and replace the bottom rail with keymod.

JMHO Thanks.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts