FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have seen a few mentions that other companies will start making the 5.7 mm ammo soon.

Is that true? If so, does anyone have any real data on when and in what quantities?

PS: I'm new to the forum, so far so good.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help.

FM

·
Registered
83 Posts
Did anyone hear what Wolf is going to be producing? (regular FMG, hollow-point, or whatever)

·
Registered
268 Posts
tqtran said:
yeah but the sb193 is fmj with a lead core and thats restricted.
I'm not sure why SS193 is "Class III", it uses a 55gr FMJ .224" bullet, one of the most common bullets used for 5.56x45/.223 Rem loads. The SS190 is essentially an aluminum core version of SS109. If SS109/M855, essentially a 5.7x28 magnum load, has gotten people riled up about its POOR performance against soft targets, I don't understand why people are riled up about SS190 being a super death ray cartridge. I recall the restriction being a result of some BATFE reg regarding the mass of the bullet jacket or bullet compared to the rest of the cartridge. It's one of those nonsensical laws/regs like a ban on flash suppressors, SBRs, and sound suppressors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any word on the wolf ammo yet?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update

I was at a gun show in January, and I was told by one of the dealers that while he couldn't comment which of the ammo manufacturers was going to be doing it, there was one that within the year would be making 5.7 x 28 mm.

Of course this seems like smoke, I'm hopeful.

Anyone else have any other updates on this topic?

FM

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I certainly hope so.

I thought I read a while back about someone who asked around at the 07 ShoT Show - and now Wolf doesn't seem to be interested in making the 5.7.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Patent

Is the big issue with other co. making 5.7x28 FN will not release the paten or so i hear

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Its the lacquer on the shell casings. The process to lacquer the 5.7 shells is $$$ and many companies do not want to spend that much for a single caliber. Especially one that isn't wide spread. Without the lacquer, the P90 and PS90 will jam like crazy. FiveseveN pistols will shot it fine.

FNH is not with holding any patent. Call them if you don't believe me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts