FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My Name is Taylor and after just around 2 1/2 years of hand wringing and debating between the 16 and the 17 and if I really needed another military style rifle in .223,I came to my senses finally. I pulled the trigger and bought a Scar 16 today. I started out looking at the scar 17 because I already have an ar-15, m-16A1, H&K 93 W/auto sear and just didn't see the need for another gun in .223. Then after a year on that track and getting hung up on the price of the scar 17 and it taking it's own special mag/ not taking FAL mags/ already having a couple FAL's. I decided that the scar couldn't do anything for me my FAL didn't already do and dropped the idea of getting one altogether. Then a few months later, that wild idea of owning a scar wouldn't leave me alone. I was busy with a project out of town so that kept my mind off it but finally this last spring I decided I was gonna buy a scar. I'd been having this same conversation with myself over and over, "well but I really don't need it" then I pulled my head out and realized, I don't "need" any of the guns in my collection, so why am I having this conversation with myself?. I think they're cool and that's all the reason I need. Sorry for the story but that's how I ended up with my scar. I have some real basic upgrades/mods planned as of right now, Geissele trigger, different charging handle, midwest industries rail extension, and swapping my acog and grip pod over.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on the 16. You will have a 17 before long. It usually happens like that - you start with one or the other and then you're like, holy sh!t this thing is awesome! How can I multiply this awesomeness? Then your brain will be back to the 17. The thing that Scar 17 does that the FAL does not is its lightweight. I don't own a FAL so I can't speak to its accuracy but I own a 17 and I can tell you that it's stupid accurate. Anyways enjoy!

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the 16!

Go ahead and accept that you'll end up with the 17 also. There's really nothing you can do about it.*

*I'm kidding...mostly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the 16!

Go ahead and accept that you'll end up with the 17 also. There's really nothing you can do about it.*

*I'm kidding...mostly.
Sad part is, I think there's a pretty good chance you're going to end up being right about that.

Welcome and congratulations on the 16. You will have a 17 before long. It usually happens like that - you start with one or the other and then you're like, holy sh!t this thing is awesome! How can I multiply this awesomeness? Then your brain will be back to the 17. The thing that Scar 17 does that the FAL does not is its lightweight. I don't own a FAL so I can't speak to its accuracy but I own a 17 and I can tell you that it's stupid accurate. Anyways enjoy!
For my purposes, rifle matches that are 3/4 close range tactical 25 - 100yds and 1/4 on the rifle range 50-400yds, not that I use my fal in these kind of matches but it is accurate enough for the long shots but I wouldn't take it out to a long range precision rifle match and expect it to compete. I Have yet to get to shoot my scar but a lightweight flickable accurate package like what I just bought but in .308 sounds great but for the matches I shoot, the .308 is gonna be a hindrance in the close quarters quick engagement stuff due to recoil plus the 20 round mags mean more mag changes

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:welcomesigntb3: to the Forum, congrats on the 16 FDE or Black?. Good luck resisting the pull of also having a 17.
I went flat dark earth of course, between an ar, a m-16,a L1A1 FAL, a hk 93, and a mp5, I have enough black guns and needed something different. bad news is my acog is black and so is the grip pod I'm swapping over from my ar but at least I can spray paint the grip pod

Welcome to the forum! Now start saving for the 17 to complete the set!
I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to end up with a 17 just to have it but I think my next purchase will be an Israeli Fal

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Welcome!!! :)

Reactions: SAVAGEJIM

·
Registered
359 Posts
I agree with ^^^^^. I own a Belgium FN Match FAL. Great rifle but nowhere as accurate as My SCAR 17S after I put the Super SCAR trigger in it and its much lighter and easier to scope.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I Have yet to get to shoot my scar but a lightweight flickable accurate package like what I just bought but in .308 sounds great but for the matches I shoot, the .308 is gonna be a hindrance in the close quarters quick engagement stuff due to recoil plus the 20 round mags mean more mag changes
You will find that the stock muzzle brakes on the 16S and 17S work extremely well. To the detriment of those near you, but they work extremely well. The 17S's recoil is dramatically reduced that you won't give much in recovery time. 16S's muzzle pretty much stays on target.

I recently bought a 16" DSArms ParaFAL. It weighs maybe .75-lbs more than the 17S, and while the recoil is entirely manageable, you can definitely tell the recoil is snappier and muzzle rise is higher.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you can find an Israeli FAL that's affordable...I'd be one jealous mofo!!!
My dad had a full auto Israeli FAL in his collection when he passed away and I was limited on the amount of nfa items I was allowed to keep so I ended up letting that one go. I kick myself sometimes for letting it go but there was a lot to choose from and it was hard whittling down to the guns I kept.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Hello & Welcome!

Gratz on the SCAR 16!

That sucks that you couldnt take your Dad's FAL due to the NFA transfer; it's a great find if anyone is so lucky enough to even encounter one.
But due to it being an heirloom and a reminder of your dad, that's something of a value that a price cannot match.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
My dad had a full auto Israeli FAL in his collection when he passed away and I was limited on the amount of nfa items I was allowed to keep so I ended up letting that one go. I kick myself sometimes for letting it go but there was a lot to choose from and it was hard whittling down to the guns I kept.
I would've done everything in my power to keep that. I don't mean to make you feel bad. I'm sure you had your reasons. And BTW you'll be lovin' the 16, and pondering the 17 yet again! Congrats on the 16!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello & Welcome!

Gratz on the SCAR 16!

That sucks that you couldnt take your Dad's FAL due to the NFA transfer; it's a great find if anyone is so lucky enough to even encounter one.
But due to it being an heirloom and a reminder of your dad, that's something of a value that a price cannot match.

I would've done everything in my power to keep that. I don't mean to make you feel bad. I'm sure you had your reasons. And BTW you'll be lovin' the 16, and pondering the 17 yet again! Congrats on the 16!

I didn't let the gun go due to the nfa transfer, My dad's nfa collection was extremely large and had an extremely high dollar value. He built it up both as a hobby but also as an investment. It was essentially a second retirement fund for himself and my mom in addition to their more traditional investments. this was just an investment that you could take out and have fun with on the weekends. When he passed away, all of my parents financials were in order i.e. house was paid off, no car loans or credit card debt so there was no need to sell the guns right away but in fairness to my mother since the collection was part of her retirement as well as my dad's, some of the collection was sold off. In all around 2/3 of the NFA items have been sold off since he passed with the rest being kept by me. My mom and I sat down together and agreed on how many guns from the estate would be mine outright as an inheritance and in addition to that there are others that she's holding on to that I have the option to buy in the future. I kept an MG-42, STG-44 (unfired), MP-38, MP-40, PPSH 41, Beretta 38A, 1919 A4 (saginaw division of general motors ), Thompson(bridgeport), M-16A1(hydramatic division of general motors), an H&k auto sear with an MP-5 and HK 93 host body and a MAC -11. Obviously the outlier is the Mac, I kept that one purely for sentimental reasons. That was one of the first nfa weapons my dad bought and he poured a lot of time into that gun adding an upper, m4 stock, custom paint job and a bunch of internal work to turn it from a spray and pray machine pistol into a great platform for subgun matches. He won a lot of subgun matches with that gun often beating his buddies and their MP-5's and even when he did have an MP-5 he still used "the little mac that could" in the modern class

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You will find that the stock muzzle brakes on the 16S and 17S work extremely well. To the detriment of those near you, but they work extremely well. The 17S's recoil is dramatically reduced that you won't give much in recovery time. 16S's muzzle pretty much stays on target.

I recently bought a 16" DSArms ParaFAL. It weighs maybe .75-lbs more than the 17S, and while the recoil is entirely manageable, you can definitely tell the recoil is snappier and muzzle rise is higher.
I have to imagine that the bark of the 17 is pretty obnoxious, shooting 308 out of a 16 inch barrel makes one hell of a racket and has some serious concussion factor to it. A buddy of mine had springfield socom m1a with the 16 inch barrel and it was just absolutely obnoxious. we were out shooting one day with a group of friends and a good mix of guns between us. I had brought my L1A1 along and he had his socom, I could step up to the line and fire off a mag and everyone would continue talking and loading mags. He stepped up to the line and conversation stopped, between the noise and the concussion of the short barrel it was a show stopper. which reminds me of a couple guns growing up that were real show stoppers in the same obnoxious way. I'm sure some of you remember back around the early 2000's you could get turkish 8mm for 5 or 6 cents a round in 1400 round crates, my dad bought case after case of this stuff and stock piled it because he could put an 8mm barrel in his both of his 1919's and run that through it for way cheaper than 30-06. This turkish ammo was super hot stuff and had a serious powder load to it and could put a pretty good fireball out the end of the barrel. Right around the same time, alot of places were selling turkish mausers for $40 so my dad bought me one for christmas. With the standard length barrel that turkish ammo turned that mauser into a bolt actioned flame thrower but after seeing this my dad decided to take it up a notch. He had the barrel cut down to 16 inches and put an ak-74 style muzzle brake on it and then it was really a flame thrower. He took it to the next level with his 1919's, not long after my dad got his second 1919, he had a twin mount made for his tripod. The two of them twin mounted putting out dueling fireballs was cool enough but he had to take it one step further. He had a set of barrels and shrouds cut down to 8 inches and put those on when he ran the twin mount, this redefined the term muzzle flash.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Your dad sounds like one of the coolest cats who ever lived and I am sure he was. You're lucky to have had a dad like that which I am sure you already know. Very sorry to hear of his passing.

Reactions: SAVAGEJIM

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your dad sounds like one of the coolest cats who ever lived and I am sure he was. You're lucky to have had a dad like that which I am sure you already know. Very sorry to hear of his passing.
Thank you, I could go on for days with stories like the one's above between dirt biking, hunting and shooting there a tons of them. He always knew how to have a good time and I will always admire his sense of inventiveness and creativity along with mechanical aptitude. Thankfully he passed those traits on to me, the man could find a way make something out of nothing in a pinch on the trail when we were riding dirt bikes like something out of magyver. One time out riding a buddy of ours got bounced off a rock into a boulder during a creek crossing. He smashed and twisted the heck out of the radiator on that side to the point where all the antifreeze in out poured out instantly. He did this maybe 3 or 4 miles into a 50 mile ride so we're all looking at his bike thinking to ourselves, well there goes todays ride. We're gonna spend the rest of the day towing the bike back or trying to get a truck in here to get it out. My dad looked at it for two minutes grabbed a stick broke it off so it was about a 4" piece whittled it down a bit to create a tapered end and then took one end of the hose that ran to the broken radiator and plugged it with the stick and took the other end of it and hooked it into the other radiator to bypass the busted one. My dad and my buddy rode back to camp and the rest of the group got to finish the ride.

He also loved guns that either required some tinkering before they would work at all or needed some tinkering to run reliably. When most people are buying a gun they are buying something based on knowing it will work and that they won't have to tinker with it to get it to run right and if one gun has a hint of being unreliable they get the more reliable alternative. Not my dad, he bought arguably the most infamously unreliable gun there is, honestly I think just to see if he could make it run. He bought a french Chauchat machine gun of WWI fame, notoriously unreliable and of poor manufacturing quality to the point of parts almost being noninterchangeable between guns. Somehow he got "the gun that didn't work" to run somewhat reliably. It wasn't shoot magazine after magazine through it without a jam reliable but it worked better than I or anyone else would have ever guessed it would. He also had a knack for finding ways to be able to shoot guns in the collection that came in odd calibers that you just can't find/reload. a prime example of this was his japanese type 96, after hearing about 7.62x39 conversion kits for the type 99, he took the idea and adapted it to work on the type 96

1 - 20 of 20 Posts