FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum :) new here and here is my relatively new Scar 16s and just arrived today Pelican 1720. My questions are:

1. Did the layout look okay to you guys or can I make an improvement in general (The wheel side is on the stock which is not in the picture)

2. Would it be okay to have the charging handle facing up? Do I need to cut a space for that on the top foam?

3. Should I have my P226 facing the other way? would the weight of the 226 eventually deform the foam due to weight if I store it vertically?

4. If I add a sling in the future, will I be able to fit without modification of the foam?

5. Are the three foam in a Pelican 1720 all same size/height? So if I buy a replacement foam I really got 3 mid-section?

6. Do I have to glue the mid section down once cut?

7. Do walmart electrical knife work?

8. Thanks a bunch in advance.

Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Gun barrel

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on the SCAR!

Reactions: kanzy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats!
1. The layout looks fine to me, you might want to fold the stock to make more room for more things in the future like more magazines, a different handgun or different accessories. Also, idk how comfortable you are with your verticle grip, a lot of people switch from VGs to AFGs to plain rails so if you're not absolutely positive you want to keep it I wouldn't make a permant cut for it.
2. Shouldn't damage anything, it's fine
3. The way you place the items is entirely up to you, I don't think the foam will deform, however I usaully leave more space so I'm not sure.
4. Yes, slings don't take up much space at all and are very thin. If you want the sling separately I would cut a small space out so you can roll it up and place it there
5,6,7. Not sure. Hopefully someone else can chime in as all of this information is just my personal opinion and I do not currently have my scar in a pelican case. Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
You may want a little more space between your scope and the side of the case, if the case gets banged around, the weight of the rifle might cause the scope to get damaged. I would transport with the werticle grip removed to give you some more room.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the welcoming words and inputs, I think I can leave the grip pod in the box but not on the gun, I will just cut a little space for it to save space in the box.

If I am shooting in a standing position, I like my AFG much better, however, my vfg/bipod is so much more convenient to bring with and take on/off, the magpul AFG is such a pain to put on/off in that case, besides I can always use the bipod for bench shooting. Well, again, grip pod is too long to my like and grabbing it just don't feel natural for me sometime, I am getting rail covers to see if that helps.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would not cut a space in the lid's foam for the charging handle - it will compress on closing without problems. It will leave a "dent" in the foam where the handle sits though. The thing to worry about is the fact the charging handle will be rather close to the outside of the case. If you store the rifle with the charging handle facing down into the deeper body of the case, it'll better protect the charging handle from getting smacked hard and damaging something because it's too close to the case lid.

Oh, yeah... It's been a while, but the last Pelican Brand replacement foam sets I had a hand in purchasing (educational institution - video gear - 12+ sets of cases/foam) they were LUDICROUSLY expensive for stupid pieces of "foam" - $100 a set or thereabouts. The Pelican cases are about the best thing out there, to be sure, but be aware...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.