FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new here and just bought a fnx 45, first FN gun. I was wondering if anyone knew if I were to get my slide milled for a red dot if I will need the sights off the tactical version for co witness to work properly? I have a Burris fast fire 3 waiting to be put on and I don' know a whole lot about pistols . This is my first and I would like both open sights and red dot working on it. I thought the tactical version was a little to big so I went with the regular fnx 45. Anyways does anyone know if I will need new front and rear sights and if so what kind and size should I get or should I just get factory fnx tatical sights, if they can be orered ? THANKS

·
Premium Member
9,708 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

FN announced at SHOT that the slides will be available separately. When this will be...well, I don't have an answer there. Then you could just slap the Tactical slide on your standard FNX-45 and be ready to roll. As far as milling, I've heard good things about L&M Precision. But I haven't used them myself, so take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry about double post, any idea's on cost of these new slides, isn't the tactical one longer?

·
Premium Member
9,708 Posts
The slides are the same length. I've swapped my slides and barrels around. I'm not sure of the prices, but they may be on the steep side.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
You don't have to get the high sights from the FNX Tactical. There are aftermarket taller sights (for silencer use) available too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for replies, I have a local gunsmith guy that will do it for $125, I was just wondering if I would need the new sights. he didn't think so. A new slide would be great but $400 would be more than I am willing to spend. Anybody have L&M Precisiondo it, is there taller sights on ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
There is a local gunsmith that does quite a bit of this here in NC...he has a Caspian slide of mine right now mounting an RMR and tall front sight. (No rear)....I'll find his contact info and get back to you. But be sure this whole business of "co-witness" takes a bit of getting used to...

·
Registered
41 Posts
This was an older "race gun" of mine and it has a CMore with frame mount. The rear of the slide was cut away and slots added to the slide to reduce reciprocating mass.... So there was never a rear site. I have used electronic sights on pistols and rifles for 10 years or more... I'm not a big fan of the cowitness hype....with this experiment I will decide if there is a benefit to the RMR and a front site only..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts