FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up an FNS nib on Saturday and took it to the range, shot 50 rounds with 2-3 fte's. Today I shot 150 rounds with my niece who is 14. She had 4-5 fte's, and out of the 3 mags she shot, the slide didn't stay open after the last round with any of them. (same mag each time) The 4th time for her it did.

I didn't experience the same problem with the slide at all but had one fte.

She shot my glock and Shield without any issues. Is this gun prone to limp wristing, and should it require a break in period more than other guns?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Welcome to the Forum... :)

What many of us have discovered with FN pistols is they come from the factory with VERY stiff springs and breaking them is a good idea. Some Forum members have been known to let them sit for a week with the slide locked back before heading to the range for the first time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a good idea, also found the 3 page thread about slide lock issues and reading now.

I am accurate as heck with the gun though, and love the short reset after the first shot and feel of it.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
You will find this Forum to contain a wealth of information not found anywhere else, there are some extremely knowledgeable members here -myself not included- who can surely help you with any problem/s which may arise. Keep reading and ask away any questions you might have, it may take awhile to get the answers best fitting the questions but they will come.

That's a good idea, also found the 3 page thread about slide lock issues and reading now.

I am accurate as heck with the gun though, and love the short reset after the first shot and feel of it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Was your range ammo 9x19mm 115gr if so try 124gr-158gr or +P/+P+? After 400-500 rounds the pistol will not have any issues with 115gr ammo. Load all you magazines to capacity for a week and lock the slide back for a week or work the pistol slide manually. Most new pistols will be sensitive to ammo and improper hold (limp wristing) until the springs and the pistols break-in. I am guessing the shield and the glock are not brand new. Once the pistol has about 400-500 rounds limp-wristing should not be an issues unless you are using 115gr ammo with a lower weight charge (weak charge). My wife bought a SIG SP2022 and when she used 115gr FMJ PMC ammo the pistol FTE and FTF a lot so I gave her my 124gr FMJ AE ammo and she had no further issues. Most 9x19mm new pistols have function problems with 115gr target ammo during break-in which will vary by makes and models. Pistols with the calibers of 40 S&W and 45 ACP do not have this issue due the greater bullet weights and greater charges.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Like others have said, leave the slide locked back for a week or better yet manually cycle the slide a couple hundred times. No sense in wasting money shooting +P of hard to find heavier grain ammo. I had the same issue with my FNX9 and just racked the slide 100-200 times while sitting on the couch one night and then left it locked back for a few days and it solved the problem.

With that said the FN series is the ONLY pistol I have ever had to "break in" and I have had dozens of different makes and models. Every other one I have owned worked right out of the box. Still love my FN's but not sure why they need a little break in?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Like others have said, leave the slide locked back for a week or better yet manually cycle the slide a couple hundred times. No sense in wasting money shooting +P of hard to find heavier grain ammo. I had the same issue with my FNX9 and just racked the slide 100-200 times while sitting on the couch one night and then left it locked back for a few days and it solved the problem.

With that said the FN series is the ONLY pistol I have ever had to "break in" and I have had dozens of different makes and models. Every other one I have owned worked right out of the box. Still love my FN's but not sure why they need a little break in?
The best that I've been told (take it or leave it, since it makes sense) is that since FN is a military arms manufacturer, all of their products are manufactured to military specifications (this includes what we would consider "break-in" tolerances on the springs) as well as being made to eat a steady diet of NATO ammunition. A 9x19 NATO and a 9x19 Luger aren't anything close to the same beast...aside from the NATO being a 124gr versus the 115gr of the Luger, the NATO round is loaded to a substantially higher pressure than the Luger (essnetially, 9mm NATO is +P without saying it on the box or the casing). The end result is that the springs take longer to work-in with commercial target ammo than if you were using the NATO counterpart, and until they do, you could have a few lock-back, FTE, and FTF issues (though I've never had a single one of any of the above...even shooting steel-cased Tul.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great info guys, mags loaded and slide is locked open as I type.

It was also 115 grain, but Remington. The other point was my 14 year old nice was shooting it, her first time shooting. I did not experience the same thing.

I'll chalk it up to break in AND her possibly limp wristing it. I love the gun and 500 rounds will be my pleasure!

·
Registered
312 Posts
You can probably look at the FNX forum. There is a sticky for new gun owners. It goes over the break in ritual and suggestions for the FNX that would probably work for the FNS.

For example with the 9mm, its a pretty good idea to shoot 124g ball ammo for the first little while. I believe, and this isn't corroborated anywhere, because we are all men, that the 9mm platform while really accurate and it is not real snappy or flippy, will make a moderate grip a limp wrist during the early break in. Just my opinion.

In any case your the only other person I've seen bring it up as a possibility out of the box, and I think it has to do with the stiff springs,so I'm inclined to agree.

Welcome aboard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts