FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I'm a proud owner of a new FNX-9 and I have a question for you folks.

This is my first ever handgun (so pardon any newbie nomenclature), I've tried quite a few out and this one was the best fit for me.
Now, I've never had an opportunity to tear one down until today (after purchasing mine), and I have a concern about the recoil spring.

It seems to sit high up on the barrel's groove when I disengage the slide, and I'm able to push it down into (what appears to be) the designed seating position.

I thought at first this was just a fluke, seeing how I haven't fired this gun yet. But when I took the gun apart again, the coil was again sitting high on the barrel.
This happens even as I slide the gun back together (but don't latch it) and pull the slide right off.

I've included a pic of what I'm talking about...The top image is when I put the spring into place (or what I think is the proper place)
The second is after a single rack of the slide.

Is this something I need to be concerned about? I was going to go to the range tomorrow, and ask the folks there, but I imagine I'll get a better answer here.

Thanks in advance!

Spring.jpg

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and go shoot your new FNX-9 without trouble or worry! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the world of handgun shooting. Enjoy you first trip to the range, this is nothing to worry about.

Posted from my car phone.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your firearm. Make sure to read the Newbie's Guide and Owner's Manual and try not to use 115gr ammo during break-in (400-500 rounds) unless it is loaded +p or +p+ (see the newbie's guide on ammo choices and additional details).

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new pistol!

The recoil spring assembly (RSA) pops down due to the rotation of the take-down lever. There's a flat portion that with a bump that the RSA backs up against when the gun is assembled. Rotating it moves it to the round portion resulting in it dropping down a bit on the barrel lug.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You will love it. Congrats.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Just to ease your mind my Ruger Sr40c , looks the same way. Congrats I have a short wants list for 2014 and an FNX-40 is at the top of it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hope you had a great experience at the range today with your awesome new FNX-9!

//Radar

1 - 13 of 13 Posts