FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:th_sign0144:Hey guys, so I have been reading through the forums for a few months now and finally decided to get a SCAR 17s for myself, found a local private party deal for some other guns with it but I paid around $2800 for an FDE 17s with the all the stock parts, 2 magazines, and a NIB Geissele super scar trigger with what I was told was less than 60 rounds through it and it looks brand new to me. I don't think it was a steal of a deal at all but I think it was fair for sure and not many are available privately in my state. This is by a large majority the most expensive gun I have ever purchased and after getting myself past sticker shock I am excited to get to use it.

I have only owned it for a few days and have yet to have time to shoot it at all or install the trigger but i've heard the stock trigger is one of the largest complaints so I assume I have that problem sorted already. I'm probably one of the youngest owners at 21 if not the youngest in this forum and am looking for some advice from some of the more experienced members on a suggested optic, currently I have been looking at the Trijicon accupower 1-8x28 and had a local one on armslist for around $900 and the vortex strike eagle 1-8x24 with the standard 30mm cantilever (probably much cheaper than anything you are all running) which I checked out at the local Gander outdoors and thought it seemed fairly crisp for its price. I have no idea if it could hold up to the SCAR let alone if the scope rings are solid enough. I would really like to have some sort of illuminated reticle for ease of use and coyote hunting near dusk, occasional deer hunting, and just ringing some steel. I don't think I need anything past a 12x magnification for the ranges I'm planning to use it for probably around 600 yds at the longest, likely within 400 yds for most shots. With that in mind I am a fan of the BAC that some scopes offer and having a 1x base is nice but not required.

I considered a standard 4x Acog but the only ones I've looked through seemed like they had too small of a field of view and not enough magnification for the purposes I want to use the scar for but I haven't ever shot with one. One large factor would be the ability to have compatibility with a clip on thermal/nightvision and I am searching for a possible example of one of these as well.

So essentially I have a ton of stuff to learn about the platform that I'm sure I don't know yet and would appreciate some knowledge from people who have many more rounds down range than me. At some point I would like to apply for a suppressor/silencer for it and eventually would appreciate some opinions on those as well. But there are plenty of other posts on that already.8)
I'm trying to slow myself down from diving into SCAR accessories and aftermarket as much as I do for my car but I feel it will likely be a losing battle.

A few other things I would like to retain when looking at an optic would be the illuminated reticle, not super heavy (as I have that concern for the accupower), potential compatibility with a clip on thermal/night vision, and a good FOV/eye relief. I can adjust budget accordingly but I would definitely like to not go above $1300 as I spent about $5800 total when I bought this SCAR with a new MPX K and MCX pistol. (Also taking recommendations for optics on both of those, leaning towards a romeo 5 rds on the Mpx and acog 4x for the Mcx.) The thermal clip-on I am prepared to pay a larger amount on though and I know that one will likely hurt the already depleted savings a bit.:cool:

Overall very excited about the platform and getting to build it into what I want along with learning from the vast knowledge and experience out there for it. (sidenote: what's the deal with Handl defense right now are they out of business? If you made it this far thanks for putting the effort in and I really do appreciate the input)

·
Registered
117 Posts
It may be a little over your intended price point, but the Elcan Specter 1.5X6 is a great optic. It has a red dot and a partial illuminated reticle. The 1.5x with the red dot is great up close and the 6X gets me out to 600yards. It's a solid unit and so far I haven't heard any reports of failure on a 17s due to recoil.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
One of the number one things about running the SCAR 17 with optics is buy the best mounts/rings you can afford. Due to the forward recoil impulse the SCAR has with its heavy bolt carrier you must buy good mounts/rings. Scope choice is very subjective so good luck with that. I did see that you like the Accupower 1-8x, I use one on my 16" SCAR 17 and really like it. Enjoy your new toys.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
what do you plan to use to range targets out to 600 yards?
the sig sauer kilo bdx rangefinders are an option if you don't have a solution already. they will automatically calculate your dope and save you a lot of work doing ballistic calculations.
at the range where you can take as many shots as needed to dial in your range and dope adjustments, this is maybe overkill, but for hunting it may be very helpful.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Congrats, on a great carbine . You've got one of the best replacement triggers.
Can also second the motion to get the best mount & rings that you can ... for a quality scope .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As of now I decided to go with the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 and I'm going to go try to sight it in tomorrow at an indoor range at about 25yds as it said that was good out to 200yds and then if I want it for a little longer range I will go out to the farm. Had a spare vortex ring for the 30mm laying around so I decided to use that for now. I also looked up the Elcan Spectre 1.5-6x and considered it but I have an FDE CZ Bren S1 that I can buy for a little less and will probably do that xD. What's the best place to find more 17s mags and what is a good price vs just market price? I will keep you guys updated on what happens with it. View attachment 128993 View attachment 128991

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
gunmagwarehouse.com. usually have everything at reasonable prices. midwayusa.com has basically the same price ($39)

most of the 17S owners say they get decent accuracy from cheap milsurp m80 from sgammo.com, so consider that option for ammo when you're just plinking or banging steel.

·
Registered
311 Posts
As stated by others, go with a so called Scar-rated scope. I went with the Elcan 1.5x/6X. The Trijicon Accupower 1-8x28 is also a good choice if you have no want/need for a BDC. The 8X would be nice at 500+

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
if you want to be able to swap out optics, mounting a reflex sight for range fun, Boboro makes some great mounts, with Scar right in the name. these keep zero better than anything i've seen or tried so although they are expensive, they are a great solution for being able to swaps things around without having to rezero your scope.
Bobro Engineering | Browse | Category | Scar / Monolithic Rail Mounts

they are a little cheaper from brownells or other stores.

even the single lever models hold zero great
https://www.recoilweb.com/guide-to-quick-detach-scope-mounts-57239.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
An upgrade I would recommend is shown in the photo below. I don't run accessories on the sides of my SCAR and hated the cheese grater effect and bulkiness of the open rails, so I installed the Parker Mountain Machine Rail Elimination PanelQD Mount in conjunction with a MAGPUL Angled Foregrip. The rail elimination panels slim down the fore end and the QD mount I actually use as a thumb rest to keep clear of the reciprocating bolt handle. Combined with the AFG, it makes a pretty ergonomic foregrip. The AFG on the bottom rail leaves room to attach a clamp-on bipod or other smaller accessories if you need. Plus these upgrades add two more shades of FDE to your SCAR; BONUS!
(PMM SCAR 16/17 Rail Elimination Panel QD Mount)
thumbnail_IMG_0749.jpg

·
Banned
676 Posts
Handl Defense as a stand alone entity appears to be gone for good but a "sister" company, The NFA Gun Shop (https://www.thenfagunshop.com/catalog.php?search_for=handl defense) says that they've acquired the remaining stock of Handl Defense products, with pretty unbelievable price increases on most HD items, like $1400 for a complete FDE SCAR 25 lower receiver. HD does still have a Fartbook page, https://www.facebook.com/handldefenseproshop/, but it's probably really one put together by The NFA Gunshop announcing their acquisition of the remaining HD parts and easing the passage of HD into the dustbin of aftermarket SCAR manufacturers.

Personally I liked HD parts, but like ALL
SCAR aftermarket lower receiver manufacturers, THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKED & WAS NON-EXISTENT. And I do mean ALL aftermarket SCAR lower manufacturers. I don't know what their problems are, but they've got a captive market and could be rolling in the $$$ if they'd only keep their promises to the customers. Oh well, so be it.

I will say that MotoTech Engineering, MotoTech Engineering specializing in parts and upgrades for the SCAR platform, is a quality company with GREAT customer service & products and their website says that they will have their own milled SCAR 17 lower on the market soon. We'll see I guess...

Reactions: theLBC
1 - 14 of 14 Posts