FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, new guy here from NC. I picked up my new FNX .45 tactical the other day, its my birthday today, so i topped my cake with a MRDS. And just to add a finishing touch i modded my front sight, tell me what you think.

I also plan on doing a battery test on the burris fast fire III, i'm leaving it on auto mode 24/7, since there is no definitive answer on battery life that i can find. I guess we'll see how it does.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,495 Posts
Welcome, congrats and Happy Birthday!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Easy to do guys, i picked out the brightest nail polish i had ever seen at Walmart, i dot all my sights that aren't night sights with it. I noticed the sights on the FNX have a white boarder around the tritium insert, so i just dabbed a little into the white with a tooth pick and wiped the excess clean. .. Its a GREAT improvement.

As far as the red dot, i just cant get used to it, with out it im on the ball every draw in less than a second, with it mounted it feels like for ever.. it confuses my eyes on what to focus on first..

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Easy to do guys, i picked out the brightest nail polish i had ever seen at Walmart, i dot all my sights that aren't night sights with it. I noticed the sights on the FNX have a white boarder around the tritium insert, so i just dabbed a little into the white with a tooth pick and wiped the excess clean. .. Its a GREAT improvement.

As far as the red dot, i just cant get used to it, with out it im on the ball every draw in less than a second, with it mounted it feels like for ever.. it confuses my eyes on what to focus on first..

Try looking through it with both eyes open and see what happens. That's the way most people I know shoot with a pistol mounted RDS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I always use both eyes, mainly because i'm right-handed/ left-eye dominant, I dunno, i'm definitely faster without it. seems silly to handicap myself just to have a RDS

·
Registered
76 Posts
It has such a small viewing window, I feel slower on my draw but faster on follow ups . I am tending to have to hold the gun higher beforenthe light shows during thendraw process. I give jyself just a little more time before I transition to the rdr. With sights I can picknup sooner and start the detail alignment.
Im committing tondo 50 dryfires with my tac every other day and 50 dry fires with my limited on the off days to see if I can close the gap without sacrificng.

WHat i hate is the safety its really tough for me to get a high hand hold on the draw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Man do i hear you. i really wanted to carry cocked and locked, but, as with how i draw a 1911, i draw, thumb comes down on safety and stays there through shooting.. so. on the FNX i immediately de-cock every time i draw. i've tried to stop. but, when i get into the groove i just happens.

Also ive decided to give the RDS a second go, i've stopped aiming the gun (looking for sights) and just gone to pointing it, i seem to be back to spot on target, but i havent fired any shots with it yet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good luck. Remember this is our going to war gun. We'll save the games for the fast holsters, big sights etc
I have gotten better, just still argue with why I am trying to improve over the 1911.

·
Registered
37 Posts
it takes time to get used to the FF3, red dot. I wasnt into it at first but got used to it. I havent thought of it in months.

I have a FF3 and no point leaving it on, it will shut off.

and it gets so dirty depending on use of lube, i pretty much use an extremely small amount of
lube so the glass doesnt get too black.3-500 rds and its covered. get used to that.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Man I know what u mean about the safety. I am also a recent FNX owner. I love the gun but that safety has been taking some getting used to. I tore the crap out of my thumb and even the inside of trigger finger from rubbing on that safety too. I ran 400 rounds through it last week trying to find a good high grip that was still comfortable. I finally gave up because I ripped a bunch of skin off the thumb and put blisters in a few spots on the top of trigger finger. I decided just to start working on a lower hold below the safety. I am getting used to it but would love to be able to comfortably shoot a higher hold. Gonna get a JathTek safety soon and might try a little polishing and grinding on it to see what I can come up with. Otherwise I will just stick with the lower hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you hold the gun with a nice, high, tight grip, the safety cannot go down to decock. I'm a recovering 1911 guy and I found that works best.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I haven't had any problems with the safety going to decock when I was trying to use a high grip. I just couldn't find a comfortable grip that didn't beat my fingers up every time I fired. I tried doing a high and tight grip like I do with 1911's with my thumb above the safety. I tried multiple small variations. Never could get comfortable. After 100 rounds my thumb was pretty sore. After 400 rounds I had raw spots and was flinching so bad cause I knew it was gonna hurt that I could barely hit the target. I have never been a flincher but that day I was flinching like crazy at the end of the session. I finally gave up and am putting my thumb below the safety. That is my only complaint with this gun. I love almost everything else. Gonna be getting a JathTech safety lever soon. I might radius and polish the back edges on that and see if that helps. I don't have it yet though so I am not sure if I am going to do that or not until I get it and play with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

1 - 19 of 19 Posts